Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 10:02 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,477,296 times

Advertisements

Riverpark is just fine, quiet, good location to get on the highway, close to shopping and other amenities. Lots of middle class family live there. It's surrounded by Telfair, greatwood, New Territory, and I don't think there are any apartments in or around it. It doesn't have a "grand entrance" like some of the other MPC and it lacks snootiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 11:37 PM

143 posts, read 187,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Nothing wrong with Riverpark East. What is so bad about the schools in Telfair?
I don't like the fact that Telfair has been zoned to Kempner. I believe that Cornerstones Elementary and Sartartia Middle schools are excellent.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:54 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,777,212 times
Quote:
FWIW, Riverpark East seems nicer and more connected to Sugar Land than Riverpark West.
I agree, but RiverPark E still has the schools issue and a few other issues I've been made aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Riverpark is just fine
Depends on one's standards, especially in the topic of upper-level schools. If one has the budget, one can do a lot better in Sugar Land, even just outside of it. I don't expect everyone to agree with me -- especially RiverPark residents who of course are probably going to be offended and defend their area -- but like I've said, I've been living in Fort Bend over a decade and am very familiar with its neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPKS View Post
I don't like the fact that Telfair has been zoned to Kempner. I believe that Cornerstones Elementary and Sartartia Middle schools are excellent.
Word from FBISD is Telfair will likely be rezoned to Austin High because Kempner High is going to add more students from the Imperial development.

And speaking of areas one can do better, there are still some bargains in the smaller neighborhoods zoned to Austin High -- like Summerfield and Stratford Park -- where one can still find <$250k homes that aren't too old, if one isn't so picky as to needing a large masterplanned community with associated flash. In many cases, Austin High is considered second best in the area after Clements.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:21 PM

27 posts, read 57,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Riverpark is just fine, quiet, good location to get on the highway, close to shopping and other amenities. Lots of middle class family live there. It's surrounded by Telfair, greatwood, New Territory, and I don't think there are any apartments in or around it. It doesn't have a "grand entrance" like some of the other MPC and it lacks snootiness.
Agree 100%. Thanks for your input. Love my neighborhood and want to help spread the word that RiverPark is a safe, affordable (as in under 300k for most homes), beautiful community with great neighbors.

Old 08-04-2014, 01:35 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,897,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluesky View Post
Agree 100%. Thanks for your input. Love my neighborhood and want to help spread the word that RiverPark is not as AK123 makes it out to be based on "things" she's heard.
I think what AK123 is pointing out is reflective of the real estate market and people's perceptions regarding LCISD versus FBISD, specifically Lamar HS versus the other high schools in LCISD. There is nothing inherently wrong with Riverpark, East or West; it's a master planned community with great proximity to 59 and retail where you get great square footage for your dollar. I don't think crime is a hot topic issue for the neighborhood, but there will always be people (not saying AK123 is one of them) who are hesitant to buy at the top end of a 150-350k neighborhood when they could be at the lower end of a 200k - 1M zoned to a perceived better HS or school district.

Typically, the average home buyer isn't going to cross-shop Riverpark versus, say for example, Telfair. Those are two completely different price points. Now, old, low-end Greatwood or New Territory versus Riverpark? Yes, that cross-shopping does happen.

People are somewhat hesitant right now about Lamar HS after Greatwood was rezoned to George Ranch, and Riverpark was left as one of the few MPCs zoned to Lamar HS. Again, this may have more to do with perception than reality, but the market will dictate what it wants. LCISD will continue to grow, and as the land along 59 is developed (as well as the rest of the district), the zoning and demographics of the high schools will change.

Personally, I wouldn't mind sending my children to Lamar HS, but I've known the district for 20 years and mixed demographics don't bother me (plus I'm of a mind set that education begins at home first, school second.) But that's for another topic.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:18 PM

27 posts, read 57,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas2010 View Post
I think what AK123 is pointing out is reflective of the real estate market and people's perceptions regarding LCISD versus FBISD, specifically Lamar HS versus the other high schools in LCISD. There is nothing inherently wrong with Riverpark, East or West; it's a master planned community with great proximity to 59 and retail where you get great square footage for your dollar. I don't think crime is a hot topic issue for the neighborhood, but there will always be people (not saying AK123 is one of them) who are hesitant to buy at the top end of a 150-350k neighborhood when they could be at the lower end of a 200k - 1M zoned to a perceived better HS or school district.

Typically, the average home buyer isn't going to cross-shop Riverpark versus, say for example, Telfair. Those are two completely different price points. Now, old, low-end Greatwood or New Territory versus Riverpark? Yes, that cross-shopping does happen.

People are somewhat hesitant right now about Lamar HS after Greatwood was rezoned to George Ranch, and Riverpark was left as one of the few MPCs zoned to Lamar HS. Again, this may have more to do with perception than reality, but the market will dictate what it wants. LCISD will continue to grow, and as the land along 59 is developed (as well as the rest of the district), the zoning and demographics of the high schools will change.

Personally, I wouldn't mind sending my children to Lamar HS, but I've known the district for 20 years and mixed demographics don't bother me (plus I'm of a mind set that education begins at home first, school second.) But that's for another topic.
Thank you for your insightful reply. Those are the 3 main areas that we shopped in last year - older, lower-end Greatwood, older New Territory, and RiverPark.

Even though I don't have kids yet, it does bug me that RiverPark is not zoned to George Ranch Jr. and High when it's closer and nicer than Lamar all the way out in Rosenberg. Not cool! I thought long and hard about it before committing to RiverPark.

My guess (and hope, for perception and home value's sake) is that as Rosenberg and RiverPark West continue to grow, a rezoning will happen and RiverPark gets "better" jr. and high school.

For our budget and priorities, we realized we couldn't afford what we wanted in an area that has exemplary schools from elementary to high school - so we decided that a good elementary school was good enough for now, and if needed, we'll move in 10-15 years when our future-kid is entering junior high.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:19 PM

150 posts, read 216,137 times
I second Sugar Creek. Beautiful neighborhood with beautiful
Country Club at the entrance.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluesky View Post
Thank you for your insightful reply. Those are the 3 main areas that we shopped in last year - older, lower-end Greatwood, older New Territory, and RiverPark.

Even though I don't have kids yet, it does bug me that RiverPark is not zoned to George Ranch Jr. and High when it's closer and nicer than Lamar all the way out in Rosenberg. Not cool! I thought long and hard about it before committing to RiverPark.

My guess (and hope, for perception and home value's sake) is that as Rosenberg and RiverPark West continue to grow, a rezoning will happen and RiverPark gets "better" jr. and high school.

For our budget and priorities, we realized we couldn't afford what we wanted in an area that has exemplary schools from elementary to high school - so we decided that a good elementary school was good enough for now, and if needed, we'll move in 10-15 years when our future-kid is entering junior high.
Advice is free, so you get what you pay for, but I'll go ahead and put it out there. George Ranch is highly competitive, both academically and athletically. Their test scores and performance in sports these first couple of years reflect that. The reason for that, in my opinion, has less to do with the administration/staff of the high school and more to do with the fact that a majority of its students come from affluent areas. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy here. So it's a real dog fight for a student to crack the top 10% or make varsity teams at George Ranch, whereas that same student is more likely to be competitive both academically and athletically at Lamar HS.

Like you said, it's always possible future rezoning will reshape the demographics of Lamar HS to make it, from a real estate market and public perception standpoint, more desirable, so at best all of this is speculation.

Quick anecdote: Shortly before I entered high school, zoned to Lamar HS as a Greatwood resident, Foster HS opened. A LOT of parents clamored for their kids to be rezoned/transferred to the new (read: white) high school, and a lot of transfers did happen. And the same thing happened at Foster years ago that's happening now at George Ranch now: tougher academic competition, some overcrowding, and eventually a lot of people saw that, hey, Lamar isn't so bad after all.

Food for thought.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:50 AM

1,903 posts, read 3,201,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
I agree, but RiverPark E still has the schools issue and a few other issues I've been made aware of.

Depends on one's standards, especially in the topic of upper-level schools. If one has the budget, one can do a lot better in Sugar Land, even just outside of it. I don't expect everyone to agree with me -- especially RiverPark residents who of course are probably going to be offended and defend their area -- but like I've said, I've been living in Fort Bend over a decade and am very familiar with its neighborhoods.

Word from FBISD is Telfair will likely be rezoned to Austin High because Kempner High is going to add more students from the Imperial development.

And speaking of areas one can do better, there are still some bargains in the smaller neighborhoods zoned to Austin High -- like Summerfield and Stratford Park -- where one can still find <$250k homes that aren't too old, if one isn't so picky as to needing a large masterplanned community with associated flash. In many cases, Austin High is considered second best in the area after Clements.
When Telfair is rezoned to Austin, will Austin become more like a Clements, and push house prices even higher in both Telfair and New Territory East?

Old 08-05-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
When Telfair is rezoned to Austin, will Austin become more like a Clements, and push house prices even higher in both Telfair and New Territory East?
I would guess that, yes. Is it a certainty Telfair will be zoned to Austin? I know there's a fair amount of unrest in FBISD with regards to zoning / over and under utilized schools, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston