Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 04:28 PM

65 posts, read 88,221 times

Advertisements

We have been looking houses in SugarLand but don't see anything that is worth it(looking in 350k). I means prices are high these days even the house is in really bad shape . So my husband colleague is insisting us to look into Cypress area as according to her Schools are really good just like fort bend ISD. Plus housing is cheap or at least new. She does Park and ride and it takes her 45mins - 1 hr to get there from work. What are your suggestion on this? We have only been to cypress once to visit our friend. Right now it takes my husband 45 mins drive from downtown to Sugar land.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 05:21 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
Cypress is a good community. It's not as cohesive as Sugar Land and some of the other suburbs due to it being so spread out but depending on where in Cypress you move it can be very safe and friendly. My suggestion is you find a community along Barker Cypress or Spring Cypress.

Some of the communities in Cypress you might want to consider:

Coles Crossing
Longwood
Towne Lake
Riata Ranch
Copper Lakes

Old 06-28-2014, 08:38 PM

292 posts, read 547,999 times
If you want good schools in Cypress, stay on the North side of 290. Longwood, Cole's Crossing, etc.. Stay away from the South side of 290 like Towne Lake, Riata Ranch, etc..

Old 06-28-2014, 09:11 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,839 times
What? Towne Lake, Cypress Creek Lakes and Bridgeland are all zoned to Cy-Ranch, which is one of the best if not THE best high school in all of Cy-Fair. Cy-Fair HS is great too (my Alma Mater), but I think you need to do a little more research on the schools close to Towne Lake/CCL/Bridgelands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangster View Post
If you want good schools in Cypress, stay on the North side of 290. Longwood, Cole's Crossing, etc.. Stay away from the South side of 290 like Towne Lake, Riata Ranch, etc..

Old 06-30-2014, 12:37 AM

9 posts, read 11,330 times
Quote:
nothing worse than ppl like you that assume because there are a few lesser expensive neighborhoods south of 290 that the entire cypress area south of 290 is a dump... in fact as of now south of 290 is where cypress is growing in popularity ( black horse ranch, Bridgeland, Cypress Creek Lake, Towne Lake and etc ) As already stated Cy-Ranch is probably the best Cyfair school and yea Langham isnt that great of a school its still better than most local public schools. If anywhere in Cypress you feel unsafe then you really have issues and need to live several hundred feet below the surface in a bunker

Old 06-30-2014, 08:48 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,457 times
Quote:
This was somewhat true 10-15 years ago, not anymore when you look just south of 290 and west of barker-cypress, and even east of barker isn't actually bad, just not as desirable anymore as it used to be. I will admit that as you go south of fm529 through bear creek and going towards north Katy, the area isn't as affluent and can at times look run down, but by no means would I call it extremely unsafe at all. With grand parkway fully done and development ramping up all around it from i-10 to 290, I expect the areas north of i-10 and south of 529 out west to be relatively nice in the upcoming years/decades. The areas along highway 6 near w little york and clay rd will probably continue to depreciate, granted.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
What? Towne Lake, Cypress Creek Lakes and Bridgeland are all zoned to Cy-Ranch, which is one of the best if not THE best high school in all of Cy-Fair. Cy-Fair HS is great too (my Alma Mater), but I think you need to do a little more research on the schools close to Towne Lake/CCL/Bridgelands.

Actually, I was referring to more than just High Schools, but yes Cy-Ranch is very good. However, specifically to Cy-Ridge and Cy-Springs which Towne Lake is also zoned to, they are not very good schools, especially Cy-Ridge. Also, for the school year 2013-2014, Cy-Fair did a bit better than Cy-Ranch as far as performance goes based on standardized testing. The reports for all the schools in Cy-Fair can be seen at

Cypress Fairbanks Independent School District :: School Ratings

As far as research goes, we have probably done more research on the subject than one can imagine. We used to live in Jersey Village, but was not happy with the schools there. Especially middle school since our kids were entering 6th grade. We were zoned to Cook Middle and Jersey Village High. Both schools which I think are not very good, especially Cook middle school. Our option was either put all three kids in private school, or move to a better school. After about a year of research on the schools and neighborhoods and looking at Towne Lake, BridgeLands, Black Horse, etc... we decided the best bet is to be in the Northside of 290 zoned to Hamilton Elementary and Middle school and Cy-Fair HS. My wife's Alma Mater is JV HS, but I still think it not that great.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJinHOU View Post
nothing worse than ppl like you that assume because there are a few lesser expensive neighborhoods south of 290 that the entire cypress area south of 290 is a dump... in fact as of now south of 290 is where cypress is growing in popularity ( black horse ranch, Bridgeland, Cypress Creek Lake, Towne Lake and etc ) As already stated Cy-Ranch is probably the best Cyfair school and yea Langham isnt that great of a school its still better than most local public schools. If anywhere in Cypress you feel unsafe then you really have issues and need to live several hundred feet below the surface in a bunker
Wow.. what an asinine response.

First off, I didn't mention about expensive or non expensive neighborhoods. FYI, Towne Lake , Bridgelands and Black Horse has homes in the $$ Million range, and there are some neighborhoods North of 290 that are in low 200's.

Second, yes Cy-Ranch is good, but not all of Towne Lake is zoned to Cy-Ranch. They are also zoned to Cy-Springs. Its post like yours that make people think if they look in Towne Lake they will be zoned to Cy-Ranch which is not true.

Third, South of 290 also includes not just Langham, but also Cy-Ridge, which I don't know of anyone in their right mind would think that it is a good school.

Fourth, just because an area is growing like mushrooms, does not mean that it is a good thing. I much prefer the North side of 290 because all the growth is concentrated on the South side. but hey, everyone has their preference.

Fifth, please point out in my post where I mentioned anything about feeling safe or unsafe?

Finally, just out of curiosity, how long have you lived in the Cypress area?

Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,457 times
Quote:
However, specifically to Cy-Ridge and Cy-Springs which Towne Lake is also zoned to, they are not very good schools, especially Cy-Ridge.

Nope, albeit for a tiny section of it zoned to Cy-Woods, it's all zoned to Cy-Ranch. You were correct before a re-zone that took place two years ago, so perhaps that is when you did your reserach. In general, Cy-Ranch is only comprised of blackhorse ranch, bridgeland, towne lake, and cypress creek lakes, all new neighborhoods with homes that range from $300k up to millions, so I'm not really sure where you're getting the less than desirable idea as far as schools go. Here's an accurate high school zoning map for Cy-Fair ISD:

http://www.cfisd.net/files/9314/0059...IRHIGH2014.pdf

As you can see from the above map, Cy-Ridge covers an area just south of Jersey Village way up near the beltway, which is miles away from the areas in Cypress we're talking about. In fact, I didn't even know anyone classified that area as part of Cypress even. It is true that the Canyon Lakes West neighborhood zoned to Cy-Springs are adjacent to the neighborhoods I mentioned, but it is also a brand new neighborhood with homes that range in the low $200's up to $500-$600's, which personally still isn't too shabby of an area in my opinion considering that relative home prices are usually the most determining factor in an area's growth in suburban Houston.

Last edited by curbur; 06-30-2014 at 11:01 AM..

Old 06-30-2014, 11:01 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,839 times
35 years. Born and raised here.

And ALL of Towne Lake is zoned to Cy-Ranch. See Curbur's map above. Your information might have been accurate at one point, but your statements no longer are correct about what neighborhoods are zoned where.

Quote:
Finally, just out of curiosity, how long have you lived in the Cypress area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston