Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 02:27 PM

80 posts, read 138,069 times

Advertisements

Anyone want to share their opinion about the current Houston housing market? Is it still hot, a sellers market or is it cooling?
I was just googling best weeks to list a house and one link ranked mid July to August as a poor time to list. What do you think?
TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 02:39 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,212,846 times
I'm very curious about the same thing.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:49 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,349,923 times
It's still hot and should be through July. It cools a bit in early August because families generally move before the school year starts. What neighborhood or location are you in? That makes a big difference.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:51 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,677,199 times
There is a huge inventory shortage. It is about as good as it gets. Summer is always the best time to sell. The market won't cool in Houston for many years to come despite what the doom and gloom people say.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:03 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,140,922 times
Best overall is late January through June. Worst is November and December, because of the holidays. Everything else is medium. Some areas are hot no matter what.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:04 PM

370 posts, read 609,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Best overall is late January through June. Worst is November and December, because of the holidays. Everything else is medium. Some areas are hot no matter what.
This is exactly true.

In Houston, many things factor in though. specific locations in Houston will always be in demand year round. specifically inside the 610 loop. Also I don't see the market slowing down in those areas even in the slow months of November, December, January and February. I see this to be the case for the next 4 years for sure.

once interest rates go back up, you will see it slow down all around, but not so much in the 'hot areas'

Old 06-29-2014, 04:22 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,212,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyan View Post
This is exactly true.

In Houston, many things factor in though. specific locations in Houston will always be in demand year round. specifically inside the 610 loop. Also I don't see the market slowing down in those areas even in the slow months of November, December, January and February. I see this to be the case for the next 4 years for sure.

once interest rates go back up, you will see it slow down all around, but not so much in the 'hot areas'
Why do you think it'll stay hot for the next 4 years? What all is happening or supposed to happen in that time period?

Old 06-29-2014, 05:01 PM

182 posts, read 700,398 times
Katy Zip Code Listed As Hottest In The Country
KPRC's Click To Houston Article Video
June 16, 2014

KATY, Texas - The Houston area housing market is still booming and shows no signs of slowing down.

According to a study done by a group called Welcomemat Services, a zip code in Katy was the hottest zip code in the United States during the month of May. Nearly 600 families are reported to have either moved into a home or an apartment in Katy during May.

The Houston Association of Realtors says don't expect a slow down any time soon.

"The 99 corridor, the I-10 corridor heading out towards the Energy Corridor really is where we are seeing a lot of growth, new construction. Katy has always been a strong market, it's really our base for our energy corridor in the Houston area," said Chaille Ralph, chair of the HAR board.

Second to Katy was a zip code in Charlotte and third was one in Chicago.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:26 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,753,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
There is a huge inventory shortage. It is about as good as it gets. Summer is always the best time to sell. The market won't cool in Houston for many years to come despite what the doom and gloom people say.
How is that even possible? There are something like 40k homes in the immediate area for sale on HAR alone. That does not include FSBO and other homes like that for sale.

All indications point to the slowing of the market sooner than later.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:05 PM

331 posts, read 484,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
How is that even possible? There are something like 40k homes in the immediate area for sale on HAR alone. That does not include FSBO and other homes like that for sale.

All indications point to the slowing of the market sooner than later.
I don't know that there's any indication one way or the other. No one really knows what will happen; otherwise we'd be in Vegas.

Things are clearly good now, but I think the market has been just a little overheated and will cool off in July. That's what I'm starting to see in my personal experience. I don't think things are headed for a downfall, though. It just won't be as strong in the next couple months as it has been in the previous few.

As for the long term, the most credible people I've talked to have indicated that right now is not like 2005, for example. There is real demand and not just a housing bubble. People seem to indicate that, due in part to the energy sector, there will be strong demand for the foreseeable future. Doesn't mean there won't be some dips here and there, but nothing like 2007 is what people seem to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: