U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:28 PM

50 posts, read 6,858 times

Advertisements

What about one of the Ward's? 6th or 4th are good, I think...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 11:02 PM

2,577 posts, read 5,639,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browniebabie View Post
What about one of the Ward's? 6th or 4th are good, I think...?
4th ward is primarily townhomes and new apartment complexes. A few older houses on borrowed time.

6th ward is a historical district, http://www.old6ward.org/

Neither of this would be what I would describe as undiscovered though.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:07 AM

7,746 posts, read 18,459,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
4th ward is primarily townhomes and new apartment complexes. A few older houses on borrowed time.

6th ward is a historical district, Welcome to the Old Sixth Ward, Houston, Texas!

Neither of this would be what I would describe as undiscovered though.

I wouldn't consider it generally "good" just yet -- more like on a "good track" & "up & coming."

Old 01-03-2008, 08:17 AM

8,981 posts, read 15,662,308 times
Didn't Eastwood just have a historically revived one sell for 650,000? I would say its ship is starting to sail.
I looked at the Garden Villas, and those properties are amazing. But Hobby Airport kills it for me.

Someone was talking to me the other day about Weisenberger City and Melrose Gardens. The lots are huge,sometimes over an acre. I just think it might be just a tad too north to get hot, but you never know.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 01-03-2008 at 08:26 AM..

Old 01-03-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I wouldn't consider it generally "good" just yet -- more like on a "good track" & "up & coming."
I don't know, it's pretty close.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Didn't Eastwood just have a historically revived one sell for 650,000? I would say its ship is starting to sail.

Remember you heard it here first!

Old 01-22-2008, 08:54 AM

11 posts, read 14,505 times
Default Indeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Remember you heard it here first!
Now others are hearing it too

Housing buzz fuels move to Houston's East End | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 01-22-2008, 09:05 AM

I'm just sayin....

Old 03-26-2008, 11:43 AM

977 posts, read 2,499,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I live in Eastwood, and used to live in Idylwood, and so am of course a big booster of both areas. The problem is finding a good house to renovate. Mixed in between the beautifully renovated/restored/remodeled 20's and 30's homes (with higher and higher price tags), there are a number of classic homes that are just waiting to be renovated. Problem is that (1) few unmolested homes seem to come on the market, because (2) so many of the homes have been suffocated with horrible remodels that you will have to undo (and the seller's seem to think that an 80's remodel is still valuable and adjust their selling price accordingly). We lucked into a nearly original home last fall, but unless you start putting notes on doors (which we did as well), no one is selling! We joke that "old people die every day," and so are constantly on the lookout for the next great house to work on.

Maybe this is a problem in all old neighborhoods, but it is especially frustrating in Eastwood.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:16 PM

11,419 posts, read 17,665,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster
To me Eastwood tops the list of the most obvious up & coming category. The handwriting is already on the wall. For example, the listing for $650,000 on McKinney has an offer pending on it already. Didn't take long either. Get the bargains while you can!
Does this mean that Eastwood's not a secret anymore?

In general, when it comes to the Inner Loop and just outside, follow the tracks - the light rail tracks that will be put in place....soon, we hope. The Near Northside. Third Ward. Even Sharpstown. That's very close to the Hillcroft Park and Ride where the University Line will terminate (in the west).

I live near Westbury/Willowbend/Meyerland. To paraphrase from a post I saw from somebody here in another thread, you can have the suburban "feel" without the subdivision 30 miles out of the center of town. Willowbend/Westwood Park has some fixer-uppers starting around $100K, and you might find something in better shape for south of $200K. If looking around here you generally want to stay east of Chimney Rock and north of Airport, but this isn't even hard and fast. I've seen some more nice rows of houses just west of Chimney Rock. Just bear in mind that you're getting closer to Fondren Southwest which generally has a much higher crime rate, although HPD is getting rather aggressive out there (and in some other problem areas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston