Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:35 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,959,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Not sure if I've already asked, why not rezone the district???
I think that will require another 13 pages of discussion.

But I think a big reason some of the folks bought their house there is because the elementary/junior high is ranked top 5 in the city.

Speaking of rezoning, any updates? Both of you always got the good details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 06:51 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,702,141 times
Nothing new in Katy until they can get the bond to pass lol

Old 07-25-2014, 06:52 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,761,220 times
http://55127c277d93afbcdbbd3e3b8b808...0425_das-1.pdf

http://55127c277d93afbcdbbd3e3b8b808...ab_options.pdf

Not sure if this is the latest document....

Old 07-25-2014, 07:10 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,641,953 times
I believe they won't Rezone until the new elementary school in Riverstone is built. Hopefully for the 2016 school year.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:28 PM

42 posts, read 69,084 times
No. The school is way over capacity and is closed for 2 years. Even without the apartments. Anyone who even moves into a house in Riverstone now can't attend commonwealth. It has nothing to do with exclusivity. If your kids attended that school and you saw the overcrowding, you would understand.

Do you know what school the new home buyers are going to?

Old 07-25-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnpruitt2005 View Post
No. The school is way over capacity and is closed for 2 years. Even without the apartments. Anyone who even moves into a house in Riverstone now can't attend commonwealth. It has nothing to do with exclusivity. If your kids attended that school and you saw the overcrowding, you would understand.

Do you know what school the new home buyers are going to?
Austin Parkway.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:32 PM

42 posts, read 69,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Austin Parkway.

Thank you!!!!

Old 07-25-2014, 09:07 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Austin Parkway.
And if Austin Parkway becomes over capacity (god forbid!), the next overflow school is Colony Bend.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:27 AM

Good link ethanw.

I love reading some of the comments by the community.

-Expand Commonwealth ES, we've paid big $ to buy homes in Riverstone so our
children can study in commonwealth ES. We don't want to send our kids to Austin
Pkwy or settlers way neither do we need new school in riverstone.

-No rezone at all. When we bought the house they said no rezone, only new
school will be built. That's why we bought highly expensive house here. We pay
high taxes, high mortgage rate for our kids good education. If you rezone to bad
school, what will happen to our kids. We will wait for new school, can you keep
our kids in Commonwealth? If you rezone only good school. We will wait for 2
years.

-I am very concerned about what is going to happen short term, when the new
school is being built. I would not support rezoning to a "lesser" school.

Seems like the meetings is dominated by this specific topic only. All other topics does not have that level of attention or opinion. And then the overcrowding continues while the land sits empty.

Old 07-26-2014, 11:16 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,090,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
So, because you pay a lot for a house, you're owed exclusivity in your public school? Sheer overcrowding is one thing, but I'm not sure that's what's going on here.
I your response was directed to me but here's my take. I know several families who live or who have lived in apartments for various reasons. They are terrific. Their kids are great. I know some homeowners in our neighborhood who would be considered "affluent" and I can't stand them or their kids and wish they've move back to where they came from.

I know I don't pay as much in taxes as folks who have houses worth more but do my kids deserve the same quality of public education as their kids? Hell, yeah! People who live in apartments do, too. When we were leasing in Sienna, I would have been upset if someone told me my kids didn't deserve to attend the ES here because we were just leasing.

My personal beef isn't "what kind of people rent apartments" or "I pay more taxes than you do". It's the impact on our already over-crowded schools hat building MORE apartments presents. I think it's ridiculous that we buy into communities like Riverstone and Sienna Plantation and find ourselves still waiting for schools to be built years after moving in or that our kids are going to school in portables because there's not enough classrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston