U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:33 AM

118 posts, read 218,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Saying politically correct things doesn't change the fact you are not sending your kids to Hightower either.

I wish some of the people here would just call a spade a spade.

The school performance and reputation go hand in hand with the racial makeup of the school unfortunately. Found me one regular public school where other minorities are majority and are top of the school ranking.
Lamar does pretty well despite the majority being Hispanic/AA & 34% of students receiving free lunches.

We chose based on the schools first and didn't give race a second thought. Second concern was commute, anything other than New Territory or First Colony areas were out of the question, lest you think we chose based on other factors. Your comment directly correlated race and (lack of) performance to race.

Imagine my horror on our move-in day with our black neighbors brought over a gift for us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 05:30 AM

584 posts, read 984,742 times
interesting...there is only one high school in fort bend that has white students as the majority, and that is Ridge Point, with a 36% of those students, while blacks make up 31% of the students at Ridge Point....I swore the fine people in Sienna wanted to keep "their kids" away from the blacks, especially at Hightower...something about test scores and property values

they were awarded Arcola and everything on FM521 south, which includes a bunch of poor blacks and hispanics in the last rezoning in 2012.....guess they will give them back to Hightower in the next round of re-zoning.

non the less, you, mom or dad parent, cannot run from the blacks, hispanics, asians or any other minority, especially in a mixed society like Fort Bend or the Houston area in general unless you are deep out in the country where your main claim to fame is the neighborhood dairy queen

Old 07-08-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post

non the less, you, mom or dad parent, cannot run from the blacks, hispanics, asians or any other minority, especially in a mixed society like Fort Bend or the Houston area in general unless you are deep out in the country where your main claim to fame is the neighborhood dairy queen
Absolutely! I just can't believe that in 2014 supposedly educated white people still think like this.

For what it's worth, Fort Bend is THE most racially diverse county in the United States! If you want to be surrounded by white people it's probably not your bet bet.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 AM

8,961 posts, read 11,520,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
interesting...there is only one high school in fort bend that has white students as the majority, and that is Ridge Point, with a 36% of those students, while blacks make up 31% of the students at Ridge Point....I swore the fine people in Sienna wanted to keep "their kids" away from the blacks, especially at Hightower...something about test scores and property values

they were awarded Arcola and everything on FM521 south, which includes a bunch of poor blacks and hispanics in the last rezoning in 2012.....guess they will give them back to Hightower in the next round of re-zoning.
That's hardly the prevailing mindset in Sienna...

Old 07-08-2014, 10:10 AM

7 posts, read 12,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
Creekstone is pretty isolated from the rest of Riverstone. There is a reason new builds are significantly less expensive there than the rest of Riverstone. I personally wouldn't buy in Creekstone. When values inevitably go down, Creekstone without question will be the first and hardest hit within Riverstone.

As far as Elkins, if all of Riverstone remains zoned to it as the community matures and I see no reason why it will not, then it will become a very good and preferred school as the Riverstone kids get older and start feeding into the school. It won't be Clements, but I can see it being the equal of Austin within 10 years.

Failed Engineer, thanks so much for your reply and advice. I wanted to get some thoughts and opinions about possibly buying and building in Creekstone, as I had found Newmark has decent pricing out there. You've definitely made some great points that have me reconsidering buying there. It's just tough to find reasonably priced new construction with a Sugar Land address nowadays.

While we're on that note, what are your thoughts about Millwood in Riverstone? Have you heard or know of any negatives in Millwood? Do you think it has any of the same issues as Creekstone? Also, do you have any suggestions or recommendations on a good area to buy that has reasonably priced new construction with a Sugar Land address? (I know such a thing is tough to find these days.)

Also, I would agree with your assessment on the future of Elkins, considering that all of Riverstone is zoned to it and most of the Riverstone kids are still pretty young.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:19 AM

3,107 posts, read 8,318,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
Creekstone is pretty isolated from the rest of Riverstone. There is a reason new builds are significantly less expensive there than the rest of Riverstone. I personally wouldn't buy in Creekstone. When values inevitably go down, Creekstone without question will be the first and hardest hit within Riverstone.

As far as Elkins, if all of Riverstone remains zoned to it as the community matures and I see no reason why it will not, then it will become a very good and preferred school as the Riverstone kids get older and start feeding into the school. It won't be Clements, but I can see it being the equal of Austin within 10 years.
on your assessment which is similar to the situation in Sienna.

Re-sale houses have been selling quickly in the more established sections of Sienna. Those schools have solid academics and are in pretty areas with friendly and active neighbors. The bidding wars have been crazy at certain price points. A lot of houses don't actually get listed because of word-of-mouth "I'm getting ready to sell. Anyone interested in..." or "I am looking to buy a house zoned to blah-blah school. Anyone getting ready to sell?". My brother bought FSBO via one of my acquaintances and 5 friends sold their houses within 24 hrs via the same method. It's crazy! Those 5 friends all up-graded to larger or new construction here and got top dollar.

A lot of people within Sienna are selling their starter homes and moving within Sienna to much larger and/or brand new construction (despite being in the ETJ of Missouri City). A lot of the starter homes are sitting on the market longer because they aren't in the more "desirable" areas.

OP - if you're bent on buying in the 'burbs and it's doable for you, it would probably behoove you to buy a smaller home in an area where it's almost 100% guaranteed to grow solid equity (barring a major crash again). My brother bought a new construction townhouse when he was single not far from Minute Maid and now a stone's throw from Dynamo. When I first visited him 10 years ago, I thought "WTF was he thinking buying in this scary, crap part of town?!?". He sold in May at a nice profit and moved into a beautiful home in Sienna with his family.

I agree that if all of Riverstone remains zoned to Elkins, it will become a competitive HS. Many families see the same thing happening for Ridge Point. I think the chances of Riverstone getting re-zoned to Clements are very slim to none. That would make Elkins under-utilized and we have enough screaming over under-utilized schools in FBISD.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:51 AM

1,479 posts, read 2,078,514 times
Resales in my section of Riverstone sell very well. I have seen them sell within days of being listed, even though we have new construction in our section as well.

My oldest child is 10, and I see Elkins as being a fine school for him when the time comes. I have no worries.

As for Clements, I see the utilization at Clements decreasing in the future, however, as the homeowners in that area get older. So you never know what will happen. I doubt all of Riverstone will end up being zoned to Clements, however. If any part of Riverstone ended up zoned to Clements, it would be Avalon (which is not where we live).

Old 07-08-2014, 12:09 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,262,878 times
Schooling is overrated....only one valecdictorian will be named while there will be tons of folks upset or left out cause its too competitive

Fbisd is very loose now on open enrollment as I know quite a few border jumpers at ridge point

Old 07-08-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy99 View Post
Also, do you have any suggestions or recommendations on a good area to buy that has reasonably priced new construction with a Sugar Land address? (I know such a thing is tough to find these days.)
Telfair values will hold. In general though, buying a home in an existing nice neighborhood tends to appreciate quicker.

I'm just curious. You're a young single professional. Why would you like to buy and why in the suburbs? I am honestly just curious as I never wanted to move to the suburbs...I had to be dragged here kicking and screaming after having kids. Not quite that bad, but almost.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Schooling is overrated....only one valecdictorian will be named while there will be tons of folks upset or left out cause its too competitive

Fbisd is very loose now on open enrollment as I know quite a few border jumpers at ridge point
I think most of us in this discussion are referring to education rather than schooling. I know I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston