Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 12:28 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
in the Heights.... fairly 'hipsterish'.
Does this surprise you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 12:28 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,693,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
If you guys haven't been to Pico's on Kirby yet, definitely go there. It's MexMex, not TexMex but absolutely delicious.
I went there about two months ago and was the worst mexican food I have had in Houston. I still don't understand why people think it is good. I really mean worst. I tasted several of my friends meals. We all thought it was terrible.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:57 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,018,675 times
We went more recently than that and everyone thought it was great. They only opened two months ago, so growing pains of new staff maybe? Their old location was always hit. Remember that they are very traditional Mexican and not Tex-Mex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
I went there about two months ago and was the worst mexican food I have had in Houston. I still don't understand why people think it is good. I really mean worst. I tasted several of my friends meals. We all thought it was terrible.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:34 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,214,982 times
The old location catered towards different type of folks...going on Kirby causes things to be changed

Old 07-10-2014, 04:54 PM

568 posts, read 901,083 times
I like how the workers in the Heights claim they sell Mexican coke when theirs is bottled in Atlanta...

Old 07-10-2014, 06:50 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
Picos isnt traditional mexican. They have a few dishes but its definitely texmex and only popular because its been around for a long time and the original location just outside bellaire

Old 07-10-2014, 08:55 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,801,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
I like how the workers in the Heights claim they sell Mexican coke when theirs is bottled in Atlanta...
Who are "the workers"?
The mex bottled coke I've gotten has mexican labels on it.

btw, the reason its better is because it uses real sugar from real sugar cane, not that corn based crap we use here in the states in everything.
In fact, pretty much anything made in any other country is better/healthier.
People go to Italy or somewhere and gorge themselves the whole time and attribute the fact that they didn't gain weight to the fact that they "walked a lot" or some nonsense. I got news for you.... it's because you ate real, fresh food! Not a bunch of processed junk.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:51 PM

675 posts, read 1,452,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
We went more recently than that and everyone thought it was great. They only opened two months ago, so growing pains of new staff maybe? Their old location was always hit. Remember that they are very traditional Mexican and not Tex-Mex.
I actually think they are the opposite...very "tex-mex" and non-traditional. Go to a taco stand in Mexico and you will not find any of the offerings that Torchy's has...

Old 07-10-2014, 10:08 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,364,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip808 View Post
I actually think they are the opposite...very "tex-mex" and non-traditional. Go to a taco stand in Mexico and you will not find any of the offerings that Torchy's has...
In Mexican street tacos, you'll pretty much only find carnitas, fajitas, barbacoa, pollo, cabrito, and chicharones in Mexico based tacos. Garnishes are limited to queso fresco/blanco, crema, onion, lemon/lime, salt, and cilantro. Take any of those meats, add said garnishes and you have typical street tacos from Mexico. Anything else is American. Of course, that doesn't mean there's some mad scientist Mexican taco vendor who does it up all crazy like us.

Now, TexMex can literally be anything now days. I just call it American now..fusion and food trucks have completely changed everything.

Last edited by deckhanddavy; 07-10-2014 at 10:32 PM..

Old 07-10-2014, 10:31 PM

568 posts, read 901,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Who are "the workers"?
The mex bottled coke I've gotten has mexican labels on it.

btw, the reason its better is because it uses real sugar from real sugar cane, not that corn based crap we use here in the states in everything.
In fact, pretty much anything made in any other country is better/healthier.
People go to Italy or somewhere and gorge themselves the whole time and attribute the fact that they didn't gain weight to the fact that they "walked a lot" or some nonsense. I got news for you.... it's because you ate real, fresh food! Not a bunch of processed junk.
A couple months ago I would go to Torchy's bc I worked near by. I would ask for bottled coke and they kept calling it Mexican coke but it was bottled in America and labeled in English. I'm well aware of the differences which is why I kept correcting them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston