Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 05:07 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
People transferring out for a while, but who will be coming back. With the way prices are rising there, they will pay substantially more when they get back. Better to rent and have the mortgage paid - and come back to the house later.
Obviously, since there's so little for sale that's not already pending or otherwise overpriced for what it is. What type of tenants actually rent these places? How long are they taking to lease if priced in line with market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 06:10 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Obviously, since there's so little for sale that's not already pending or otherwise overpriced for what it is. What type of tenants actually rent these places? How long are they taking to lease if priced in line with market?
Some are on the market for as little as 2 days - others 2 months. Same story with houses for sale anywhere - the ones that go fast are in good locations, have neutral color paint, clean, priced correctly, etc. The others linger. Like I mentioned on another thread, there is one there with about 1900 sq feet renting around $2300, which is very ambitious - and obviously not going anywhere fast. One about the same size just came on - $200 cheaper, bigger yard, etc. It will go faster.

Some renters are just going to be in town with employment for 18 months - 2 years. It's not worth buying. They most likely own another house elsewhere. They are not permanent renters - they're "situational" renters.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:25 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
Some are on the market for as little as 2 days - others 2 months. Same story with houses for sale anywhere - the ones that go fast are in good locations, have neutral color paint, clean, priced correctly, etc. The others linger. Like I mentioned on another thread, there is one there with about 1900 sq feet renting around $2300, which is very ambitious - and obviously not going anywhere fast. One about the same size just came on - $200 cheaper, bigger yard, etc. It will go faster.

Some renters are just going to be in town with employment for 18 months - 2 years. It's not worth buying. They most likely own another house elsewhere. They are not permanent renters - they're "situational" renters.
OK. No problem pricing in line with market and the other factors mentioned. My issue is that it won't hit the market until approx. October whether for rent or for sale. If vacant for more than 6 months, it would be very financially tight to carry 2 mortgages longer than that.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:13 AM

339 posts, read 764,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
What is the deal with Telfair in Sugar Land? If I were looking to rent a house there, I'd have more than my pick of properties at all price levels. If I were looking to actually purchase in the $400-500k price range, there is absolutely nothing decent actively available that is not already pending. What gives??? Even if I could afford to pay cash, there is just nothing available.
Telfair is prime real estate given its location. I know various buyers that purchased multiple houses in Telfair just for the sake of renting them out given its high demand. if you had looked at the beginning of 2013, you would have been able to buy a new construction in the 400-500K range, but they're pretty much out of new inventory now.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:56 PM

344 posts, read 1,250,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v2four View Post
As the Telfair bunch knows, you are not going to get your own high school, so your kids will be stuffed into Clements, which is already bursting at the seams...
I think most of Telfair will switch to Austin HS in the near future, correct?

Old 07-14-2014, 03:15 PM

174 posts, read 407,151 times
I don't think Telfair will be zoned to Clements. In the FBISD meeting, the considering option is to switch from Kempner to Austin HS. But this is not even a done deal. FBISD is just collecting ideas and they don't have a time line. It is unlikely that Telfair will be zoned to Clements, given that Clements is already overcrowded.

Old 07-14-2014, 03:19 PM

174 posts, read 407,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulio82 View Post
Telfair is prime real estate given its location. I know various buyers that purchased multiple houses in Telfair just for the sake of renting them out given its high demand. if you had looked at the beginning of 2013, you would have been able to buy a new construction in the 400-500K range, but they're pretty much out of new inventory now.
I am looking at har.com. There are 24 rental listings in Telfair, vs 18 in New Territory and 9 in Riverstone. It looks like there are more Telfair rental properties than in both New Territory and Riverstone.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:34 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathz View Post
I don't think Telfair will be zoned to Clements. In the FBISD meeting, the considering option is to switch from Kempner to Austin HS. But this is not even a done deal. FBISD is just collecting ideas and they don't have a time line. It is unlikely that Telfair will be zoned to Clements, given that Clements is already overcrowded.
If I remember correctly, the Avalon part of Telfair (other side of 59, near the UHSL) will be zoned to Clements High while the rest may be zoned out of Kempner and into Austin High. This is because the new development at Imperial is expected to add more students to neighboring Kempner High.

As to the prices -- Telfair is a very good/convenient location. Thus, the high prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston