Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:34 AM

400 posts, read 449,296 times

Advertisements

Hi There!

I'm entertaining a possible job in Houston. Position pays a bit more than here in Ohio and of course no income tax in the State of Texas helps. I'm also excited about the subject matter of the position.

However, I've been doing some research and I'm concerned about the city. Anecdotally, it seems that 8 out of every 10 reviews of the city are negative. I've only been to Houston for an hour to eat at a steak house back in 2005 so my experience is quite limited.

Is it really as bad as I've been reading about? I lived in New Orleans for 4 years (one summer without A/C - don't suggest anyone do that) so I understand how hot it can get and the amount of bugs.

My real concern is that peoples' opinions are negative about the people that live there and the things to do. Yes, I realize they are people's opinions and just that, but there are quite a few of them and they say similar things.

The negativity seems to center around traffic, weather, crime, people's attitudes, lack of entertainment, lack of outdoor options.

Traffic, weather, and crime don't concern me as the other categories. I understand a lot of people live there and I would live close to work. I lived in New Orleans for 4 years so I know the weather. I lived in central New Orleans, Cleveland, and Baltimore City so I understand how to avoid bad areas and lock your door. Besides, if you're not in "the game" you are usually not a target of crime anyways.

I'm concerned about people's attitudes and how they treat new comers, lack of entertainment, and lack of outdoor options.

Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 07:58 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,807,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post

I'm concerned about people's attitudes and how they treat new comers, lack of entertainment, and lack of outdoor options.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. It seems that the most negative posters on the Houston forum tend to be the loudest. Typically you'll see posts like "we don't need any more folks like you in Houston", "it's the transplants that are the bad drivers", "leave your views back from where you came". That said, don't base your decision on the negative posters on this forum. CD posters are equivalent to about 0.000045% of the population of Houston. In my opinion newcomers are welcome with open arms as long as they're not jerks.

I'll leave the entertainment and outdoor options to other people to post on.

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2014, 08:00 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times
Comparing Ohio to Houston and having a hard time? Maybe you should stay put because you probably got other reasons to stay.

I been to many cities over the years, Ohio is near the bottom. I actually met quite a few ex-Ohio people and nobody have ever rave to me about missing home.

Houston is happening, there is only 30000 reviews to back it up.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:13 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,559 times
I am originally from Baltimore (still have most of my family there), and my husband and I lived in Ohio as well. We moved to Houston from Ohio 10 years ago for a job and have not one single regret. Houston is an exciting place to live (don't let anyone else tell you otherwise), and I never felt unwelcome as a transplant to Texas.

Yes, there are bugs, but we have an exterminator. Yes, the summer gets hot, but we have a/c. On the plus side, winter is not miserable like in Cleveland.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I been to many cities over the years, Ohio is near the bottom. I actually met quite a few ex-Ohio people and nobody have ever rave to me about missing home.
I would agree that Ohio does have it problems. I'm a transplant to Cleveland so I'm an outsider. Despite it's harsh winter, it's actually a city that seems to be on the rise. It looks like it's poised to turn around within the next couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. It seems that the most negative posters on the Houston forum tend to be the loudest.
That is true. However, I've researched other forums outside of C-D and a lot of those people echo their sentiments.

Let me add this, what about air travel in Houston? Is it inexpensive? My fiance lives in Las Vegas and will live there for the next year while attending school. I would like to fly to Vegas from Houston every 1-1.5 months.

I'll add some more depth to my original question. I'm a 30 year old guy and will be bringing a dog down there (should I choose to take this job). Is there a thriving scene in Houston for young professionals? (late 20's to late 30's).

Thanks again everyone, I appreciate your input!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:23 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
Despite it's harsh winter, it's actually a city that seems to be on the rise. It looks like it's poised to turn around within the next couple of years.

That is true. However, I've researched other forums outside of C-D and a lot of those people echo their sentiments.

Let me add this, what about air travel in Houston? Is it inexpensive? My fiance lives in Las Vegas and will live there for the next year while attending school. I would like to fly to Vegas from Houston every 1-1.5 months.
The 70s call, the folks in Midwest want their manufacturing jobs back

I am sorry but just because Lebron is back doesn't mean Ohio is posed to turn around. That's like reading how Detroit is coming back.

Regarding air travel, obviously the bigger cities are going to have more flights. Does United still have a hub there?

Old 07-20-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
The 70s call, the folks in Midwest want their manufacturing jobs back

I am sorry but just because Lebron is back doesn't mean Ohio is posed to turn around. That's like reading how Detroit is coming back.

Regarding air travel, obviously the bigger cities are going to have more flights. Does United still have a hub there?
Haha yes, people are excited about LeBron. I'm not focusing on that though. I'm talking about the RNC coming here, the revitalization in the area with major projects being constructed (Public square, east flats project, ect.) I'm talking about the steel mills upping production and looking for workers. Alcoa as well. I'm talking about revitalization from Tremont & Ohio City stretching west to Lakewood that is underway. There is a 6 month wait for apartments downtown.

But enough about Cleveland. Focus is on Houston. I read somewhere that Bush airport is expensive to fly out of? Is that true?

Also, I'm focused on the young professionals scene in Houston. Any thoughts on these aspects of Houston?

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2014, 10:50 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,580 times
Fact - a lot of negativity about houston is based on thinly veiled racism. There are lots of asian, hispanic, and black people here from all types of religion. In reality this isnt a problem but people outside of texas arent used to it and more white cities in texas scorn it

Old 07-20-2014, 10:53 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
Fact - a lot of negativity about houston is based on thinly veiled racism. There are lots of asian, hispanic, and black people here from all types of religion. In reality this isnt a problem but people outside of texas arent used to it and more white cities in texas scorn it
They're still a vocal community? I figured the negative stuff about Houston was coming from suburbanites way out near places like Richmond, Simonton, Fulshear, and past that. You mention Houston to them and they just cringe.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:55 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
I never thought of it that way. Could be. Along with thinly veiled jealousy over its success and recognition in recent years.

But quite frankly, anyone who says it's not exciting or is lacking in things to do is not worth bothering with and you'd want to take what they say with a massive grain of salt.

Also don't listen to people who grew up in the suburbs 10-20 years ago and rarely went into Houston proper (especially recently)... they usually have no clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston