Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:24 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,247 times

Advertisements

Lots of people are moving to Texas, and Houston in particular. When the BBC has an article on it, you know we are getting popular. With popularity you will have issues.

BBC News - 10 reasons why so many people are moving to Texas

Can we please stop advising people to live on the opposite side of town from where they work? Please?

There are lots of good neighborhoods and suburbs. You can find good schools in just about every district around. There is no "winner" in the burbs. It's just which burb or neighborhood fits you best.

The twenty minute commute we used to have from South Katy to the Galleria area is now 45 minutes. Commutes will be getting worse. I predict in 5-10 years you will probably have to add 15-20 minutes to everybody's commute. ( if not more)

Last edited by Meyerland; 08-11-2014 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 10:37 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,019,017 times
On the bright side it allows me to listen to my audio books in peace.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:45 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Can we please stop advising people to live on the opposite side of town from where they work? Please?
Actually it seems like a lot of people have a "go west" mentality.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:49 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,661 times
Money actually stretches and you see what you earn. I can name 5 families with the husband making maybe $70k at the most, at least 3 kids, and a SAHM and they own their very nice 3000k sqft home and they're not broke or struggling.

Try that on a coast. Shoot our police officers live nice. LAPD, NYPD are considered broke. They make good money but considering the cost of living it's an okay/decent looking place. I know cops in custom build really really nice houses you'd think some doctor lives in.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:50 AM

43 posts, read 85,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Actually it seems like a lot of people have a "go west" mentality.
Well this somewhat becomes a different issue than just a what's 'hot' debate or promoting your own backyard, although that obviously still plays a heavy factor in everyone's opinion. The east side of town is where our city's heavy industrial and rail is way more prevalent, and as a by product most of our poorest residential communities are also in these areas. You start getting into a quality of life discussion at that point.

In general, I agree that it's dumb to suggest someone to live in a suburb that's not close to where they work, e.g., working in Tomball and commuting from Sugarland. The only exception to this rule would be in cases where the traffic would be somewhat minimized, say with a reverse commute, but as more and more offices open up along the city's perimeter while at the same time many people move into the city's core, reverse commute being an advantage could soon be a thing of the past. The same has already happened in other major cities like Chicago, and their 'reverse commute' is about as long as it takes to going the other way into town now.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:55 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,192,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post

There are lots of good neighborhoods and suburbs. You can find good schools in just about every district around. There is no "winner" in the burbs. It's just which burb or neighborhood fits you best.
This!!! ^^^^^^

I have picked up from people that, in other cities, there is a "wrong" side and a "right" side of town. It's difficult to understand the Houston way if mixing it up. I see we currently have a thread going where they want to live in the south Katy area and commute to 249/Beltway 8, even though there are nice areas MUCH closer. Both Cinco and The Woodlands have a lot of name recognition (and had the budget to help make that the case), but there are a lot of places as nice.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:32 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,093 times
This is why light rail will be so important. All these people who have fought it. It boggles my mind. We have expanded our freeways as much as we can. 290 is being expanded. Hardy Toll Road is being expanded. Once this is done I don't think there are many freeways that can be expanded except 288 which really does not have a ton of traffic. I-45 south could use some work too. This is just another reason that inside the loop property prices will go even more crazy. We need light rail out to every suburb. I wish we could afford a subway system.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:43 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,661 times
I'm all for a light rail. I just didn't like that their first priority was one in the Loop. A rail being attached to our tollroads would be amazing.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:03 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
I'm all for a light rail. I just didn't like that their first priority was one in the Loop. A rail being attached to our tollroads would be amazing.
You must have the in the loop rail to connect the rail to! Are they going to roll in the rail from I-45 and drop you off at 610? Cart before the horse?

Old 08-11-2014, 01:06 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,771,273 times
supposedly there will be bike paths on power line row's soon. that may ease your drive.

rail would be ok, just hard to add in certain areas.

people still love their cars/trucks and it will be hard to break that.

I'm curious what % of drivers are in a position daily to not need an automobile?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston