Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:43 AM

86 posts, read 106,014 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
With everyone's advice and what I could find that was within my budget, I found an awesome apartment this past weekend. I visited powertochoose to find and was overwhelmed by the choices of plans / companies. Did some searching and seems like people have been good with Reliant. So while searching, I found the Reliane Conservation 9 month plan.

I looked at my electricity usage history here in Cleveland and it was the worse in Feb as I got a heater that was eating up due to it being -33 outside. But overall I have been using between 350 - 450 kWh in a 1BR home. This is partly because I turn off the A/C when I leave and only turn it on in the evening when I get back home. On the weekends, I visit columbus sometimes and during that time, the A/C remains off.

So when I click the plan details, I get the following:
Base Charge: $0.00 per month
Energy Charge: (0 to 1000 kWh) 4.0¢ per kWh
Energy Charge: (> 1000 kWh) 8.0¢ per kWh
CenterPoint Energy Delivery Charges: $8.52 per month and 3.8563¢ per kWh
CenterPoint Energy Delivery Charges include all recurring charges passed through without mark-up.
This price disclosure is an example based on average prices - your average price for electricity service will
vary according to your usage. The price you pay each month will consist of the Base Charge, Energy
Charge, and CenterPoint Energy Delivery Charges.

So let's take 450kWh as a base (for this example). Am I doing my math right here?
Base: $0
Energy Charge: 450*(.04) = $18
Delivery Charge: $8.52 + 450*(.038563) = $25.87335
Total: $18 + $25.87 = ~$43.87 + Taxes?

Bottom line would be essentially paying 7.8563 cents per kWh used + the monthly $8.52 fees (upto 1000 kWh that is). Is it really this simple to calculate or is my mind trying to over complicate things?

Is that correct? Seems like a good deal right?

Other Option:

The other option I found (but not on powertochoose) was Green Mountain Energy.

Their Pollution Free product, says 9.5 cents per kWh

Average Price per kilowatt-hour (kWh) for Pollution Freeâ„¢ electricity
Average monthly use: 500 kWh 1000 kWh 2000 kWh
CenterPoint Energy: 10.8¢ 9.9¢ 9.5¢
This price disclosure is an example based on average usage patterns and average service prices - your
average price for electric service will vary according to your usage and the factors described below. The
example average prices shown above apply during the Minimum Term and include the applicable per kWh
energy charge multiplied by average monthly usage, plus any monthly base charge and a pass through of any advanced metering charge from your TDSP.

The prices include TDSP charges for the delivery of electricity. Average prices per kWh listed above do not
include facility relocation fees ordered by a municipality or other charges that apply only in part of a TDSP
service area. See Section 5 of your Terms of Service for more information. The per kWh rates is as follows:
CenterPoint Energy - $0.09000000 for the months May-Oct and $0.09000000 for the months Nov-Apr. The
monthly base charge is $5.95. As of the Issue Date of this EFL, the PUC- approved TDSP advanced metering charge for CenterPoint Energy is $3.05/month. Applicable taxes and other charges may also apply.

So with this, if I were to use 450kWh (same number as previous scenario), I would pay:
450*(.108) = $48.60
$5.95 Base Charge
Total Bill: $54.55 + Taxes

Does that calculate correctly?

It's a bit more expensive; however it's completely renewable (Wind) and no contracts and comes with a $100 Gift Card and no termination fees.

How do people in TX choose their electricity??? Sorry I'm just super confused and overwhelmed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 09:07 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,872,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpedia View Post
So when I click the plan details, I get the following:
Base Charge: $0.00 per month
Energy Charge: (0 to 1000 kWh) 4.0¢ per kWh
Energy Charge: (> 1000 kWh) 8.0¢ per kWh
CenterPoint Energy Delivery Charges: $8.52 per month and 3.8563¢ per kWh
CenterPoint Energy Delivery Charges include all recurring charges passed through without mark-up.
This price disclosure is an example based on average prices - your average price for electricity service will
vary according to your usage. The price you pay each month will consist of the Base Charge, Energy
Charge, and CenterPoint Energy Delivery Charges.

So let's take 450kWh as a base (for this example). Am I doing my math right here?
Base: $0
Energy Charge: 450*(.04) = $18
Delivery Charge: $8.52 + 450*(.038563) = $25.87335
Total: $18 + $25.87 = ~$43.87 + Taxes?

Bottom line would be essentially paying 7.8563 cents per kWh used + the monthly $8.52 fees (upto 1000 kWh that is). Is it really this simple to calculate or is my mind trying to over complicate things?

Is that correct? Seems like a good deal right?
Yes, that looks correct and works out to be about $0.097 per kWh at 450 usage. Note that the energy charge rate doubles at 1,000 kWh on that plan so if you somehow used that much, your usage over 1,000 would be at the higher rate.

Apartment and other low usage customers often pay a higher price due to the service charge, but this looks like a reasonable plan for usage under 1,000 kWh. For me, my minimum usage is about 1,200 and maximum is in the 3,800 range per month, so I just look at the 2,000 kWh rate to decide which company to use based on the quoted rates on power to choose.

The problem with the Green Mountain Energy plan is that it is a month to month plan. That is the rate this month, it might go up next month, down the next, and up even higher the next. But at least with no cancellation you could change at any time if it goes up too much. But know there is probably an off cycle meter charge if you want to change mid month.

Good luck!

Last edited by trbstang; 08-12-2014 at 09:24 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
Yes, that looks correct and works out to be about $0.097 per kWh at 450 usage. Note that the energy charge rate doubles at 1,000 kWh on that plan so if you somehow used that much, your usage over 1,000 would be at the higher rate.

Apartment and other low usage customers often pay a higher price due to the service charge, but this looks like a reasonable plan for usage under 1,000 kWh. For me, my minimum usage is about 1,200 and maximum is in the 3,800 range per month, so I just look at the 2,000 kWh rate to decide which company to use based on the quoted rates on power to choose.

Good luck!
Thank you. I'm really basing my usage on my Cleveland apartment (841 sq. ft). It's old, windows are not double pane, and in the winter the draft is so strong that I sometimes had to crank my heat up to 80 and my bedroom would still be 63 degrees. But the apartment I'll be moving into is a 2 BR apartment (1121 sq. ft). But the apartment is brand new with double pane windows.

Would it be a correct assumption that the usage will most likely double to approx 900 kWh because of the size increase? Or is that a bad assumption?

Old 08-12-2014, 09:35 AM

I added a bit about Green Mountain. I doubt if it would double, except maybe during the hot summer months if you ran it most of the time. That is about 1/3 of my house, so I would think your usage would be 1/4 -1/3 of mine, especially if you use a setback thermostat during the day. Mine is at 75 all summer as my family is home all day. Of course you have electric heat, and I have gas, so my winter bills are cheaper than they would be with electric heat. If I had to guess, I would think your max usage months would not exceed 1,000 kWh if you adjust the temperature when not home.

And I would not turn off the AC completely when you leave. It will probably reach 85+ degrees during the day in the summer and can take a couple of hours for it to cool back down once you turn it back on. I set ours at 82 when the kids are in school, cool it down to 76-77 when they get home and 75-76 when the wife gets home. Of course yours might do better since it is new, so it will just take some experimentation to balance the usage with comfort.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbstang View Post
I added a bit about Green Mountain. I doubt if it would double, except maybe during the hot summer months if you ran it most of the time. That is about 1/3 of my house, so I would think your usage would be 1/4 -1/3 of mine, especially if you use a setback thermostat during the day. Mine is at 75 all summer as my family is home all day. Of course you have electric heat, and I have gas, so my winter bills are cheaper than they would be with electric heat. If I had to guess, I would think your max usage months would not exceed 1,000 kWh if you adjust the temperature when not home.

And I would not turn off the AC completely when you leave. It will probably reach 85+ degrees during the day in the summer and can take a couple of hours for it to cool back down once you turn it back on. I set ours at 82 when the kids are in school, cool it down to 76-77 when they get home and 75-76 when the wife gets home. Of course yours might do better since it is new, so it will just take some experimentation to balance the usage with comfort.
Thank you very much. That was very helpful. The Reliant offers a 12 month pricing too, but it goes up to 8.9 cents. I did find this plan as well, but it's with Gexa.

Says 8.1 cents and the contract is for 9 months.

Energy Charge: $0.064 per kWh
Monthly Service Charge: $0
TDU Delivery Charge: $0.039 per kWh
TDU Delivery Charge: $8.52 a month
Usage Credit: $30 if >= 999 kWh

So I use the 450 kWh baseline again:
Energy Charge: $28.80
TDU Charge: $8.52
TDU Charge: $17.55
Total: $54.87

The only thing is if I get close to 1000 kWh, I can get the $30 credit.

But as a side note, all fact sheets state that the rate can change. So what's the point of having a contract?

Old 08-12-2014, 11:21 AM

StarTex has one available for 3 and 6 months. Will also give me an idea on how much energy I will be using. Also I've heard that prices in the winter are usually the lowest. What do you think of this strategy?

Product Name: 3 Month
Energy Charge: 3.29 ¢/kWh
Centerpoint Surcharges:
Distribution Charges: 3.8563 ¢/kWh
Monthly Charges: 8.52 $/Month
Term: 3 Month(s)
Early Termination Fee: $100.00
A Minimum Usage Fee of $9.95 will apply if usage is less than or equal to 999 kWh in a billing period

Product Name: 3 Month
Energy Charge: 3.29 ¢/kWh
Centerpoint Surcharges:
Distribution Charges: 3.8563 ¢/kWh
Monthly Charges: 8.52 $/Month
Term: 3 Month(s)
Early Termination Fee: $100.00
A Minimum Usage Fee of $9.95 will apply if usage is less than or equal to 999 kWh in a billing period

Using the same 450 kWh baseline. I'll be looking at ~$50.66 + Taxes (which includes the $9.99 fee)

Old 08-12-2014, 12:32 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,966 times
Call Reliant and ask for the same conservation plan for 12 months with the .04 and .08 cent rates.

They will most likely give it to you.

Old 08-12-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpedia View Post
But as a side note, all fact sheets state that the rate can change. So what's the point of having a contract?
The rate can change if the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) allows the fees to change or other factors outside of the power company's control (laws or regulations) cause a change in the rate. Then they can pass it through. But I've never had a company change my rate except for National Power Company many years ago. They were going under and tried to change all of the contract rates, but the PUC didn't let them, so they went out of business instead. I got dropped to Reliant with a $0.22 variable MTM rate!!! But they were gracious and dropped it to $0.14 if I signed a contract with them.

Generally rates are a bit cheaper in the winter and spring, and go up during the summer. But this year I renewed in March for $0.099 and now rates are in the $0.09 to $0.099 rate. I've thought about cancelling and signing up with a lower rate if it makes sense paying the cancellation charge. Might be a worthwhile idea to consider a 6 month tem and look at rates again in Jan/Feb. But of course no one knows for sure what prices will do. They might go way up in 6 months, and that $0.089 rate might look very good.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Call Reliant and ask for the same conservation plan for 12 months with the .04 and .08 cent rates.

They will most likely give it to you.
Called them, they have a 12 month, but it's goes up to .042 and .082 cent rates. They wouldn't budge from it. So it's either the 9 month plan that's the front runner (but at the end will take me pretty much end of may when chances of prices being more are greater). So I might just do the 3 months, and then sign up for the 12 month conservation. Or I could just sign up for it right now. Wonder if it will make a huge difference.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:19 PM

Probably not a huge difference, especially considering your usage. For me, since we use 25,000 - 30,000 kWh per year, a $0.01 price difference is a $250-300 savings. I was very happy when the prices dropped from $0.12 I had a few years ago down to $0.083 that I had last year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston