Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 11:47 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToraG View Post
So what you're saying is if someone comes up to your window and pounds on it and breaks it like in the OP's situation, you wouldn't do anything? Just sit there?
-record the situation
-drive away
-call the police and get their license plate

no, i wouldnt not do anything, but i wouldnt pull out a gun. maybe a switchblade...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 02:47 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
And this is why you carry a pistol in your car ( which is legal in texas without a CHL). Someone walks over and starts banging on your window violently, pull out the gun and stand your ground. Just make sure you have a dash cam to record everything.
Not that I am disagreeing or saying your way is wrong, but a guy who comes and starts banging on your window trying to break it might even be set off more by seeing a gun.

I could easily see such a person start kicking the window while screaming, "You're going to shoot me!! Do it! Do it!" Someone that has become so irrational that they are out of their car carrying on like a madman very well might do this.

My approach would be to quickly move my gun under my leg, dial 911 on speaker and try to maneuver away.

If I had no way of escaping, and the glass was broken, I'm pulling out the 9 from under my leg and center mass until the threat is neutralized.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:00 PM

217 posts, read 314,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FabulousE View Post
I agree. If someone came up to me like that (especially if my baby is in the car), I would feel the need to protect myself. I'm not a violent person, but you can't say what another person won't do these days.
Exactly, Sure i would try to drive away , but in OP's situation he said he couldn't due to traffic. If I had my kid with me, and some dude came up to my car and beat on the window violently trying to break it, Hell yeah I would pull out my gun. I would do anything to protect my family. If it means firing my gun at someone doing that for self defense, damn straight I would.

Remember that guy in New York with the bikers who ran over bikers to get away. He had his wife and kid with him. Man, if that were me, I'd start blazing away.

For all you people saying dont do anything, have fun at your funeral.

Now what if you were a female, and someone was banging on your window aggressively? You gonna sit there? Cops aren't gonna protect you in that situation.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:04 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,792,570 times
I find road rage in Houston to be about as prevalent and aggravating as in other large Texas cities, which is to say very.

Maybe it's my imagination, but back in 2008 when gas was nearly $4.40 a gallon it seems like drivers didn't race around as much, tailgate as much or make as many aggressive maneuvers. Of course, lots of things were different then (fewer residents and less freeway gridlock may have been a factor).

I'd like to see cops in Houston policing road rage incidents (and provocative behaviors, such as cutting into lanes at the last minute) more aggressively, and less time nailing people for doing 5 over on the freeway once traffic finally clears.

Old 08-26-2014, 06:32 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
Quote:
Now what if you were a female, and someone was banging on your window aggressively? You gonna sit there? Cops aren't gonna protect you in that situation.
Female speaking... As someone who is aware of her surroundings, I would've had the gun in my lap from the time I saw the road raged idiot get out the car. Don't come banging on my window because you're getting all p*ssed. You're damn right I'd pull that trigger. These days you don't know what people are capable of!

Old 08-26-2014, 08:35 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
I am one of the few who actually grew up here, learned how to drive here, etc and actually haven't seen or experienced very much road rage. Perhaps it's regional. Last time it happened to me several years ago was a couple of 20-something wannabe cowboys in a truck so obviously snorting coke & screwing with people in a parking lot on Friday night.

I drive about 18000 miles a year and have witnessed a few stupid things that last only a few seconds but for the most part people are pretty well behaved and cooperative. It helps if you don't go slow in the left freeway lane, move with the flow of traffic, merge properly and move with a purpose. This isn't any different than any other big city in the US.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:05 PM

398 posts, read 394,758 times
I have a hard time believing OPs story. I'm thinking he/she is leaving out a few details.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:37 AM
BCB

1,005 posts, read 1,784,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
I'd like to see cops in Houston policing road rage incidents (and provocative behaviors, such as cutting into lanes at the last minute) more aggressively, and less time nailing people for doing 5 over on the freeway once traffic finally clears.
Cheers to that!

Old 08-27-2014, 06:40 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,973,301 times
Quote:
This did happened within the last year, it was on the news. This lady was sitting in her car, a guy was kicking her door. She shot him as she was sitting in her car. He died. I don't know whatever happen to her.

As for police in houston, they can't even drive right themselves. How are they gonna patrol?

Houston Dallas austin San Antonio. This state will never solve their traffic problem. Cause they don't know how. They can't design roads worth a damn.. Go check out the any road in houston. Look at the curbs. See all the tire marks on it? These roads are confusing and too narrow.. You don't see the street sign til you re right at it. By then its too late so you get people who panic and make a sudden lane change.

The drivers here are bad. The road design here enhance bad drivers.

Just last week. This guy pulled into the wrong way right in front of me. On the feeder road at I-10 and beltway. That area is always busy. How do you turn into the wrong direction? Cause the road ways here suck, no signs or marker to indicate the direction. Lanes are force merged with no warning sign. roads are not straight.. i don't know why they cant build a straight road. i just don't get that. Ever notice the entrance into a shopping center or any entrance from a main road is so narrow? Everything is big in texas accept the roads and the entrance to your destination.
For people who are new here, the roads are confusing.

Use your turn signals and they speed up so you can't change lane. Left lanes are reserve for texter, yapping on the phone, eating fried chicken, paint finger nails, put on make up, read a book, I am not kidding. I ve seen all that.

I am all over the city. I drive a lot for work and personal. I see alot. I ve posted this before.
Everyone in houston is a student driver

I absolutely love this city, my only complaint is traffic and drivers here.
That goes towards, all race, male and female, short and tall, skinny and fat..

I have observe this since I moved here 14years ago, so I am not gonna blame new comer.
It's only gonna get worse.

Wheewwww. What a rant, back to my quiet life.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:41 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
yup. many dont have patience. it really sucks and is a shame. i just zone everyone out and not even worry about it anymore.

if people actually planned ahead a little more and allowed an extra 10 minutes to where they need to be, maybe that would help. traffic still isnt bad as places like LA and many freak out and cant chill out in their car just a little. i mean, whats the rush?
Sometimes it's not a matter of planning ahead. Sometimes it's an issue of urgency and everyone doesn't have time to glacially travel the roadways 5 miles below the limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston