Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 09:00 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,802,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
Let's be clear here people. This wasn't a question of whether this shooting was justified - it wouldn't have been. This was a question of whether this man did the shooting. He was acquitted because there wasn't enough evidence that he pulled the trigger. His defense argued that it wasn't him.

My concern with the way this has been reported is that less-informed people are going to hear about this acquittal and assume it's now legal to kill someone in blind rage.
I think pretty much everyone understands the fact that there wasn't enough evidence to convict.
And if you ask the jurors, I bet nearly everyone of them would admit that they think he did it. Just not enough evidence to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

But you can't help asking yourself what you would do if you were in his shoes.
I don't own a gun, but I probably would have beat him to death right there on the spot with no regrets.
At least that's what I say without actually being in his shoes. Nobody should have to fill those shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 09:24 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,143,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I think pretty much everyone understands the fact that there wasn't enough evidence to convict.
And if you ask the jurors, I bet nearly everyone of them would admit that they think he did it. Just not enough evidence to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

But you can't help asking yourself what you would do if you were in his shoes.
I don't own a gun, but I probably would have beat him to death right there on the spot with no regrets.
At least that's what I say without actually being in his shoes. Nobody should have to fill those shoes.
I think he did it, or at least knows who did it. But when you don't have the murder weapon, no witnesses, and no gun powder residue on his hands, its kinda hard to convict a guy.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:08 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,264 times
Quote:
Let's be clear here people. This wasn't a question of whether this shooting was justified - it wouldn't have been. This was a question of whether this man did the shooting. He was acquitted because there wasn't enough evidence that he pulled the trigger. His defense argued that it wasn't him.

My concern with the way this has been reported is that less-informed people are going to hear about this acquittal and assume it's now legal to kill someone in blind rage.
This WAS a question of whether the shooting was justified. The law is never, ever what it says it's about.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:19 PM

391 posts, read 424,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
This WAS a question of whether the shooting was justified. The law is never, ever what it says it's about.
Wrong. If the father had confessed to pulling the trigger he would be in prison right now.

There is no question that going home to get a gun, returning to the scene and shooting someone execution style is murder. There is no ambiguity in the law. All of this speculation about what would we have done in the same situation makes for good discussion comments but is completely irrelevant in the eyes of the law. I think it's important that people understand this. Our personal feelings about whether or not we sympathize with the shooter make no difference in court. Vigilante justice is illegal, period.

The drunk driver was murdered in cold blood. There's no debate about that fact. There was simply not enough evidence to prove that the father was the murderer. The prosecutors should never have brought the case to trial.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:23 PM

501 posts, read 303,336 times
It's obvious he did it. I mean come on, deserted rural road, at night, with a horrific accident, and just by an incredible coincidence an unknown and unnoticed killer comes by, with no motive, and kills the drunk driver? The only thing that would make it more ridiculous is if Barajas would now announce that he will dedicate his life to looking for the man who killed Banda.

I have a feeling, though, that the lack of evidence that allowed the jury to have "reasonable doubt" was engineered. As in "let's not look very hard for the weapon". Or "maybe Barajas should wash his hands, they're a bit dirty"...

That said, Banda got what was coming to him.

Old 08-28-2014, 03:37 PM

391 posts, read 424,715 times
That's the problem with the way this story was reported. Every media outlet presented it as a proven fact that Barajas did the shooting so that's the point all of the armchair analysts are starting from.

I think it's a lot more likely his wife or another family member pulled the trigger.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:13 PM

17 posts, read 29,000 times
I always feel good when I read about the death of a drunk driver, thief, burglar, etc. It's especially good that the alleged triggerman in this case isn't going to serve any time for doing society a favor.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:20 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post

Not even close, this is ignorant.

For better or worse, its about producing enough evidence to support your claims or charges.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:22 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Quote:
Wrong. If the father had confessed to pulling the trigger he would be in prison right now.

There is no question that going home to get a gun, returning to the scene and shooting someone execution style is murder. There is no ambiguity in the law. All of this speculation about what would we have done in the same situation makes for good discussion comments but is completely irrelevant in the eyes of the law. I think it's important that people understand this. Our personal feelings about whether or not we sympathize with the shooter make no difference in court. Vigilante justice is illegal, period.

The drunk driver was murdered in cold blood. There's no debate about that fact. There was simply not enough evidence to prove that the father was the murderer. The prosecutors should never have brought the case to trial.
Agree. Prosecutors should have considered a lesser charge since they lacked evidence.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:29 AM

340 posts, read 802,713 times
I truly wonder if he did it. It would have required a lot of planning on his part to be "residue" free after firing a gun, hiding it, all while it a fit of rage/impromptu murder. Just think about it, people plan out murders for weeks sometimes and they easily get caught. This guy had minutes only to plan it and pulled off the perfect crime??? I don't think he is that clever. I will second the thought that he probably knows who did it though, but I don't think he pulled the trigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events