Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:56 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,186,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
I think it'll be okay. These people on the other hand: [google maps]; they're crazy.
I wonder if they can hear that thing humming at night... I know that you could hear the ones by my girlfriends apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 09:52 PM

308 posts, read 494,832 times
What do you guys think about this one on the wood post/pole? I don't think these are high voltage. I don't see any harm in them. Only down side is that it is directly behind the house.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:11 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,997,904 times
Aesthetically that's awful in my opinion. I know they are necessary, but that's not what I would consider to be eye pleasing at all. Some people don't care, others like me would never even consider a lot that has those in that direct a line of sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalam321 View Post
What do you guys think about this one on the wood post/pole? I don't think these are high voltage. I don't see any harm in them. Only down side is that it is directly behind the house.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:14 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,437,111 times
Quote:
If you are a backyard person, there is no way you should do it. But, if you are like so many people, where your backyard rarely gets visited, it wouldn't be a big deal until you went to sell.

I have a pole just like that in my front yard. It didn't bother me, because we spend all of your time in the backyard.

Edit: What really irritated me is that I put some ivy on the pole and kept it trimmed at the top about 6 feet up. It was completely obvious that it was being trimmed and limited in height. One day the utility company stopped by and asked me if I wanted it, the ivy, removed. I told them no, leave it be. Apparently, I didn't understand the question, which I caught on to a week down the road. They had cut the bottom of the ivy so it would die, and were asking if I wanted, what would soon be a bunch of dead ivy, removed. I have a sneaky suspicion they knew exactly how to ask so that they wouldn't have to remove it themselves.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:32 AM

675 posts, read 920,965 times
Quote:

That would not bother me at all, and I use my backyard a lot. Pretty much every house built before about the mid-late 70's have poles in their backyards and it does not seem to have caused too many issues.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:45 PM

109 posts, read 156,871 times
i would never buy a house near high voltage power lines, and would try to avoid buying a house with electricity poles behind it unless I was really desperate.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:49 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,101,808 times
Practically every house in 77079 has wires running through the back between the lots, no one cares.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:33 PM

804 posts, read 1,065,566 times
you get blasted with way more electromagnetic radiation from the wiring in your house and appliaces then those power lines ever will. might not like the look of them but your not going to grow a 3rd eyeball.

Old 10-18-2014, 09:23 PM

87 posts, read 239,885 times
make sure to throw old shoes on those lines if they are in your backyard. let your neighbors all know your gangsta. Im semi joking, semi serious. depends if your neighbors are trash, if they are, you have no choice but to join the crown otherwise theyl think your weak. semi serious. not sure. just throwing it out there.

p.s. i have done that numerous times when i was a little younger, its cool leaving your mark

Old 10-19-2014, 12:00 PM

308 posts, read 494,832 times
thanks for the input. I didn't think it will be a big issue either. I would probably plant a small bush or vine to help cover it up. The only downside is I see is that the wooden pole is in the corner of back yard. So if it ever needs to be serviced, they would have to come into the yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston