Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you think the city should've developed?
one big skyline 10 40.00%
multiple skylines(as it is now) 15 60.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 09:08 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,819,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I said this several months ago on here. Maybe even a year that I wish Houston downtown was on Galveston Bay. Or even put it on the mainland on West Bay just across from Galveston. Galveston would've been the Miami Beach to Houston if that happened. That's my biggest wish of Houston. Not to mention, the weather is cooler and more tolerable then where it is now by the water.

As far as skylines. I personally like the one major skyline but have no problem with multiple either. However, if Houston did build them all in that one area, it would easily be third IMO.
That does sound awesome, but I pose the question again, if we utilized our coastlines for high density urban development and a resort style beach location in Galveston, then would Houston be as large as it is today? Houston's economy has always been largely fueled by the oil and gas industry. If you take away all the refining and shipping and put it on the coastline of another gulf state, then wouldn't some coastal town there then take Houston's place in prominence? I guess my point is that I love your idea, and in terms of some sim-city like fantasy for Houston's land that would be ideal development, but I don't think the factors that made Houston what it is today would have occurred to the same degree if Houston's coasts weren't littered with refineries. If we tried to compete with other beaches across the US, Galveston would have a hard time competing due to the nature of the water, although perhaps we would have come up with some interesting solutions to resolve those issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbutler222 View Post
Unfortunately, Houston has to have multiple skylines, because of its inability to build any building much taller than the Chase Tower--all thanks to Hobby and it's runway landing patterns and proximity to Downtown's tall building.

But most skylines are, particularly at dusk (in October) where the lights are still on and the sun is starting to hit the horizon, then NYC's, Chicago's and Houston's downtowns do stand out. But, the only single, true skyscraper missing from DT is the William's (née) Transco Tower and adding it would not make much of a difference. And, by the time 2016 rolls around, if only half of the buildings are shelved or simply delayed, e.g., Chevron III, our skyline will look much different.

Just think what DT could and would have looked like had HMA had been built just 5 miles farther out I-45, any height building could have been built. How lucky NYC is yo have three large airports and two of them built in such away that take-off and landing patterns make no difference.

All in all, taking into account the differences in having 1, 2', or 3 skylines adds uniqueness of the city. But, over the years, before building dried up in the 1980s, it most often came in first, second or third in most polls by most magazines. Dubai may have a very big, tall skyline surrounded by acres and acres of dry, ugly sand, 120° heat and a beach bordered by most sand. In the world, I'll take Shanghai's skyline any day.
What I don't understand is that O'Hare in Chicago really isn't any further away from their downtown which has Williams tower than our downtown is to Hobby, but I suppose the landing patterns are different for each of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:16 AM

9,847 posts, read 6,566,773 times
Houston isn't alone in this. New York City, Miami, Paris, even Los Angeles has this. Look at downtown Manhattan in contrast with Midtown Manhattan.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:37 AM

287 posts, read 549,054 times
I have another question: do any of you see any of Houston's other skylines besides Uptown/Downtown growing together or at least much closer, for example Downtown/TMC?

Old 09-09-2014, 08:13 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,819,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyz06 View Post
I have another question: do any of you see any of Houston's other skylines besides Uptown/Downtown growing together or at least much closer, for example Downtown/TMC?
I could easily see more midrise and high-rise density going north along Main in Museum Park and southeast Midtown heading towards downtown. Most of the development is going to be between Uptown and Downtown though. I wonder if one day in the not so far future if we'll really distinguish Greenway Plaza as being it's own cluster of buildings when it looks like just another one in the skyline.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:41 PM

287 posts, read 549,054 times
I'll definitely be interested in how these areas look within the next 5-10 years. Will be a real sight to see!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston