Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,403 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am interested in the lifestyles of Texans. I currently am from New York, but as we all know times are getting tougher and prices sky rocket. I want to live in a town where expenses including(rent) is at reasonable price. I currently work in a mortgage department in the post closing section. Currently I would not have any connections to Texas which I can ask for info until this site. So I would appreciate if anyone can help on, what are price ranges of rentals in possible the sugarland..pearland..houston..cinco rancho areas? Are there great or reasonable career paths starting with nothing? I really need new change because I have been home with my family (parents) and I want to start a new life for myself.. just in New York and making 40,000 p/y.. thats not going to happen. Thanks you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 01:02 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,819,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter p View Post
Hello all,

I am interested in the lifestyles of Texans. I currently am from New York, but as we all know times are getting tougher and prices sky rocket. I want to live in a town where expenses including(rent) is at reasonable price. I currently work in a mortgage department in the post closing section. Currently I would not have any connections to Texas which I can ask for info until this site. So I would appreciate if anyone can help on, what are price ranges of rentals in possible the sugarland..pearland..houston..cinco rancho areas? Are there great or reasonable career paths starting with nothing? I really need new change because I have been home with my family (parents) and I want to start a new life for myself.. just in New York and making 40,000 p/y.. thats not going to happen. Thanks you for your time.
Living in a large suburb of Houston is going to feel like one of the many suburban towns in NJ that are just outside Manhattan, albeit a lot cheaper and a tiny bit more spreadout. If this is what you want, and the only thing that's keeping you from living in (let's say) West Orange, NJ there is your current salary and career outlook in terms of salary, then I'd say bite the bullet and give it a try. Life is about the journey after all, or insert some other cliche quote on life here. I would suggest coming down here and renting at first to see if you truly like it. If you do, great, start house hunting, if you end up hating it, there won't be a whole lot in your way to pack up and move back up east.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:55 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,512,808 times
Be careful with a move to Texas, Houston in particular. There are LOTS and LOTS of people who have the exact same idea about a life with a low cost of living index in warm and sunny Houston, Tx.

I think that the last tally was that over 1,000 per week are moving here. As a consequence, rents and home prices are going through the roof. It's still cheaper than NYC, but Houston isn't exactly cheap. Jobs are becoming more competitive with so many applicants and, as a consequence, the average compensation scale, particularly for entry level positions, is slipping a bit.

This city can be a tough nut to crack if you don't have some connection to the people here and you really need to learn your way around for a while before you make any big commitments. Just my $0.02.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:32 PM

860 posts, read 1,584,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Be careful with a move to Texas, Houston in particular. There are LOTS and LOTS of people who have the exact same idea about a life with a low cost of living index in warm and sunny Houston, Tx.

I think that the last tally was that over 1,000 per week are moving here. As a consequence, rents and home prices are going through the roof. It's still cheaper than NYC, but Houston isn't exactly cheap. Jobs are becoming more competitive with so many applicants and, as a consequence, the average compensation scale, particularly for entry level positions, is slipping a bit.

This city can be a tough nut to crack if you don't have some connection to the people here and you really need to learn your way around for a while before you make any big commitments. Just my $0.02.

This^^^^.

Have you ever been to Houston or to Texas? Plan on visiting for 10 days to 2 weeks in June-July-August before deciding you want to live here. Texas is a car-centric state with extremely limited public transportation, even in larger cities. Buying and maintaining a car will take a chunk out of your salary.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:51 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
Did you try Acid? Kidding. Just visit and see how you like it. This place is very diverse...

Old 09-17-2014, 08:55 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,281 times
Are you looking for the same type of career in real estate/mortage? That industry is booming pretty well here.

Like others said, a car is a MUST here. But otherwise, living in nearby suburbs like Pearland and Sugarland would be pretty cheap as far as rental costs. Where you should live will depend on where your job is located though, so it would be helpful to know what industry you're looking into. If you're looking for blue-collar work, there's plenty on the east side of the city near the port and the refineries/manufacturing plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston