Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 01:29 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,297,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katywoods View Post
I am thinking if carpool//van pool works out may be I will take up the job. If not I may give it a try for 6 months to gain some experience in this domain and look for jobs closer to home. I told the company my concerns and they agreed for flexible schedule but they still want me full time instead of contract.
I know people who commute all the way to Dallas for work every week. The kind of things people do for a decent job, work experience and steady income is amazing. Seems like work and experience is your primary concern . Go for it and eventually you will be in position to look something closer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 08:32 PM

4 posts, read 4,877 times
Default Katy to Woodlands

I have been offered a job in the Woodlands and I live in Katy. I know it sounds like a crazy commute, but the UP side is that it is a contract job and will only last a month, and is part time. Another up side is that it has semi-flexible hours on site.

That being said, I am flexible about the morning, but would like to leave The Woodlands no later than 3 pm.

1) Does anyone want to carpool with me, leaving Katy around 7:30 and Woodlands around 3?

2) Any rideshare/carshare/vanpool information or suggestions?

Old 09-23-2014, 08:38 PM

4 posts, read 4,877 times
I feel like I could have written this post. I feel you! Just got offered a flexible but well paying job (contractual so it's just one month) in the woodlands but I live in Katy. If I am being this hesitant over doing this for a month, I would say DONT DO IT on a permanent basis I haven't even decided if I will do it on a part time/temporary basis...

Old 09-24-2014, 06:09 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,772,382 times
Quote:
I am married, have 2 kids, own a house in katy. Kids go to katyisd. Husband's work is in downtown, very stable and good paying job. I started working late due to pregnancies and was a stay at home mom for many years. I started working 2 years back with very low pay because of career gaps. I am doing a contracting job now in midtown, I am making about 45 k per year. It is very low but for experience sake I took the job. Commute now is 30 miles door to door, so 60 miles per day. Job is ok but timings are flexible/less stress job and commute is ok 70% of the time due to my flexible hours. I got a full time offer in IT company at woodlands. Pay is about 64k, 2 weeks vacation. Considering travel time to woodlands from katy (55 miles/one way), is the new job worth the money? I don't want to regret about the travel everyday(110 miles a day ). I will loose flexible hours that I have in my present job and commute time increases quite a bit. The job profile is very good, it will help me in future. Is 64k salary worth the travel everyday from katy to woodlands. Probably I will pay whatever extra I earn on gas, tolls. I am worried I will be too tired to spend time with kids. Please advise. Thanks.

Katywoods
FWIW we moved to Fulshear from La Porte in January and my wife still drives to La Porte everyday for work. I think it's about 130 miles round trip (her drive used to be about 10 miles round trip). I drive to the Galleria, Spring/Woodlands area, and League City depending on appts during the week. I don't care about how far work is and prefer to live as far away from where I work as possible. I disagree with those saying sell and move.

You don't just sell your house and uproot your kids to move for a job. This is a temporary point in your life that will lead you to another door in time. I would consider taking the job as it will give you valuable work experience that will benefit you in the future (your words). If you realize that it's not working out then you go to plan B.

You are the only one that can truly say yes or no to the job. I would sit down with your husband and kids and have a discussion on this topic. That will be the determining factor when you hear what your children have to say and whether you husband will go the extra distance to help you with the house and kids if you take this job.

Good luck in whatever your decision is.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:47 PM

113 posts, read 175,088 times
for women, there are long term side effects especially health.

knees will wear faster than brake pads. guaranteed if you travel every day.

Body will be tired and you will be inviting back pain.

kids get sick all the time you need to pick them up from school or daycare is short time.

will be very exhausting to take care of kids after the work everyday

Its just not worth it. period.

if you think if it is great career move then move to woodlands and ask your husband to commute from there. It won't make much difference for him.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,788 times
Quote:
I am married, have 2 kids, own a house in katy. Kids go to katyisd. Husband's work is in downtown, very stable and good paying job. I started working late due to pregnancies and was a stay at home mom for many years. I started working 2 years back with very low pay because of career gaps. I am doing a contracting job now in midtown, I am making about 45 k per year. It is very low but for experience sake I took the job. Commute now is 30 miles door to door, so 60 miles per day. Job is ok but timings are flexible/less stress job and commute is ok 70% of the time due to my flexible hours. I got a full time offer in IT company at woodlands. Pay is about 64k, 2 weeks vacation. Considering travel time to woodlands from katy (55 miles/one way), is the new job worth the money? I don't want to regret about the travel everyday(110 miles a day ). I will loose flexible hours that I have in my present job and commute time increases quite a bit. The job profile is very good, it will help me in future. Is 64k salary worth the travel everyday from katy to woodlands. Probably I will pay whatever extra I earn on gas, tolls. I am worried I will be too tired to spend time with kids. Please advise. Thanks.

Katywoods
Hi KatyWood I do drive from katy to woodlands daily since 4 months. Before me and my husband used to do carpool but now he moved near by to downtown.

I start in the morning around 5:20 a.m at home and reach office around 6:30 a.m . In the evening I start max around 3:20 p.m or 3:30 p.m from office and I reach my son's daycare around 4:30 P.M. Do you want to do carpool?

Old 09-26-2014, 12:42 PM

5 posts, read 4,374 times
I don't think the commute is worth it... you lose time with your kids, you get extra time driving, spend more money on gas too. Life's too short for that type of commute if you can avoid it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston