Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 04:02 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,370,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Here come the comments. It's not cinco ranch if that's what you're snidely getting at.

OP, I haven't lived in Houston for quite some time but midtown is fine. It's in a big city so you expect the typical stuff; homeless, some prostitutes, and public drunkenness. Pretty much stuff you'd see in any major city, even in gentrified Manhattan. Usually the people that have a fear of the city will tell you that its a dark and scary place, because it's not a safe burb outside the loop.
Lol! People here are constantly criticising the burbs! Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2014, 04:55 PM

976 posts, read 1,056,209 times
The OP might also want to consider the new apartments in the Rice Village. Based on his/her criteria, I would say the village is a little more urban than midtown. Those apartments are so close that everything, it is generally safe and full of activity, and is near walking distance to everything there. Also, it is very close to the jogging trails around Rice University.

Old 10-05-2014, 05:35 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,571,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
The OP might also want to consider the new apartments in the Rice Village. Based on his/her criteria, I would say the village is a little more urban than midtown. Those apartments are so close that everything, it is generally safe and full of activity, and is near walking distance to everything there. Also, it is very close to the jogging trails around Rice University.
Village has way to much traffic and there is road construction on Kirby just north of Bissonnet and along the feder road of 69 I would stay away unless you work right there

Old 10-06-2014, 11:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,060 times
Midtown was really unsafe 15-20 yrs ago and has progressively got safer as the area has developed over the years. I think you got a good sense of things on prior posts from people who live and go there regularly - re safety and re how walkable/bikeable/dense/urban, etc it is. Midtown west of Main St and north of Elgin is more developed. Midtown east of Main St and north of Elgin is changing and developing rapidly - below is 2 or 3 posts from elsewhere on the board that may be helpful on that point. Good luck.

… (copied) sign of good things to come in that Midtown area north of Elgin Street, east side of Main Street: Weights and Measures restaurant/bakery/bar at 2808 Caroline (link below), the MetDance Studio in same location, 13 Degrees Celsius Wine Bar, coming Superblock (and all development it will likely spur), Midtown Arts Theater, and Caroline street reconstruction (see Midtown authority website), and recent makeovers of Baldwin and GloverParks … as well the McGowen stop on the light rail which runs directly to downtown and Med Ctr and Rice U

[url]http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/06-29-14-midtown-makeover-massive-new-restaurant-bar-bakery-in-an-old-garage-looks-to-change-a-neighborhood/[/URL]

… (copied) the great thing (at least my view) is that all of these positive things are happening now after being stalled by the recession, and will have other things come as a result as well ... I think there will be a big transformation for better on this side of Midtown in next couple of years, same as it is happening on west side of Midtown (not some great insight by me, alot of others saying same thing based on location, things listed above which are all set to be up and online in next couple of yrs, and just having more empty lots available for purchase and that can get filled in with new developments, retail, etc)

…(copied) Re crime - I doubt you're at risk for any more serious crime than would be expected in Montrose, Fourth Ward, Washington Avenue, etc. All of these areas, including Midtown, were pretty down-at-the-heels not so long ago, with drug sales and prostitution commonplace. But they are definitely on an upward trajectory, powered by Houston's economy and a growing market segment that wants to live in the heart of the city. As this continues, they will continue to shed the nefarious activities they used to be known for - I'd say in fact they've mostly shed them already. The physical improvements to Caroline Street and Baldwin Park, plus the private investments taking place in nearby parts of Midtown, will only accelerate this.

Last edited by depoff; 10-06-2014 at 11:47 AM..

Old 10-06-2014, 08:22 PM

10 posts, read 17,906 times
Wow! Thanks for all the info depoff!! I loved the link to houston.culturemap.com site! I have found several other articles talking about midtown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston