U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 07:29 PM

234 posts, read 208,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
The OP said their budget is 250k, they want $700,000 for this house.
Oops, missed that part. Not gonna happen in any neighborhood that I would want to live in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 08:27 AM

34,648 posts, read 18,311,805 times
Just lower your "wants" to find something that fits your budget. You don't want to be in the burbs.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:54 AM

122 posts, read 139,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
You'll have a lot more options for your price range and wider lots if you'll look outside of the Loop. It's just too expensive and very few big lots inside the Loop.
Who the hell wants to live outside the loop? It's such a draaaag out there

Old 10-06-2014, 11:14 AM

34,648 posts, read 18,311,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredboredteacher View Post
Who the hell wants to live outside the loop? It's such a draaaag out there
You got that right.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:49 AM

17 posts, read 24,005 times
I would agree with those that have suggested the East End. I know you mentioned a budget of $250k, which in the east end, you can still find. I agree with the previous posters that nothing will be "perfect", but you can get something a lot closer on this side of town. You will get a lot of people saying "i would never live there" for some of the listings, but many of these people have A) never lived there B) don't go around the areas, so just write them off without really knowing. I live in broadmoor, which has its share of homes that would be best knocked down, but I love my neighborhood, despite the fact it does not look like River Oaks. You have hard working people that go to work everyday and also don't flip out anytime you play music on your patio past 9 pm. I walk my dog at night or early in the morning and aside from some people driving faster than I wish they would around the neighborhood, I never feel unsafe.

Here's an example of one that is right at $250k...was this renovated perfectly and with the highest level of builders finishes? No probably not, but its a nice little home on a 6500 sq foot lot in the East End and you could be downtown from here in about 10-15 minutes without using a freeway. I think this specific one is next to an apartment complex, but these little finds can be made if you have time and even sometimes just drive around and see homes being stripped down. I know there are two on Godwin two blocks from my house that are mid renovation, with one looking like it'll be done in the next 2 months or so.

5108 Mulford St, Houston, TX 77023 - HAR.com

Old 10-06-2014, 03:30 PM

483 posts, read 536,094 times
I know we will need a good inspection, and we have a small budget for repairs, but major ones will mean we have to cross the house off.

I'm glad to see that some people have faith that, with patience, we can find a place. I'm sure it won't be perfect, but it what we've got right now.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,797 times
5 corners improvement district (77045, 77047, 77053) Some nice decently sized homes have already popped up. (CityPark) and they changed the street signs. The area is outside the 610 loop, but inside beltway 8 and five to ten minutes away from the medical center and Pearland. They are re-building the schools including adding a new college prep (dual credit) high school by HCC south and expanding metrorail into the area. Major changes. Buy now that the market is still low. If you want suburban style living within the city limits, this is your best bet.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:48 PM

28 posts, read 48,540 times
My husband and I live in Eado (old Chinatown/warehouse district), in a townhouse, 3 beds, 3.5 baths, 2 car garage, 2100 sq ft, built 2011 and it has a market value of $400K. All the construction around are all townhouses, all start at low $400Ks, some across the street from us sold for low $500K last month. I do not think $250K will get you in Eado (77003). An empty 5,000 sq ft lot in Eado is going for $250,000, and a lot in established neighborhood, like someone mentioned previously, is at least $500,000. However, you can look in Eastwood (77023). I did a search and some single family properties came up. But this area can get sketchy quick. Well, the wonderful thing is we don't have zoning in Houston . I don't believe any of these old houses will have pre-wired alarm system so you'll need to put one in.

You may also like the Meyerland area. They have older single family homes as well. That'll be in the SW side of town.

Considering your age, neither Eastwood nor Meyerland will offer similar demographic, not sure how important that is to you. My husband and I are 34 and 31, we love where we are since all the neighbors are in their late 20s-late 30s. Many of the 20-year-olds now live in midtown, but prices are even higher than Eado, and no single family with yard.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:47 PM

483 posts, read 536,094 times
We have a friend group already established, as most of our college friends stayed in Houston with jobs rather then move like we did. So the age of people around us isn't an issues. Other families with younger kids would be nice for the future, since we do plan on having a kid or 2 but not something important now.

Schools aren't too much of a concern, since both of us came from very low ranking small town public schools, or we might decide to do a private or magnet school for future kids.
I knew EADO was out, we need a yard for the dogs and don't like attached living. I'm hoping maybe we can get in on the edge of an area like that and watch it come up over the years, but I know we would have to get lucky.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:50 PM

4 posts, read 4,659 times
Check out Northside village. There's some new construction, SFH, ~2,000 sq. ft., 3-4 bedrooms for 240K range. MH Homes is the builder, if I remember correctly.

Neighborhood doesn't "look" the part, but will likely greatly appreciate due to people being priced out of the Heights and Garden Oaks areas. Also, there's a new music venue being built near the light rail in the Northside. It's definitely worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston