Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 01:09 PM

182 posts, read 350,272 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot about Gentrification. Ok..so what about the opposite? What will be the new Houston Ghettos 10 years from now? Are we just going to pack them all in the same place just smaller?
Will people just straight up leave because it's no longer affordable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 01:13 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDA View Post

I think it has already begun.Look at all the apartments being built in the Satellite burbs. They call themselves high end, but the rents are significantly cheaper than rents in the major business districts. In Memorial they are tearing down the "old, but affordable" complexes, to replace them with units that rent for over 1500 as a start price.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:06 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,512,122 times
Quote:
I hear a lot about Gentrification. Ok..so what about the opposite? What will be the new Houston Ghettos 10 years from now? Are we just going to pack them all in the same place just smaller?
It depends on what is left after the Ebola pandemic runs its course.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:47 PM

288 posts, read 433,542 times
Quote:
Unemployment is very low, and there's money being thrown around everywhere. I doubt all these people moving every which way are also asking themselves that question. We probably wont know for another few years once the gravy train slows or ends. There aren't any real new ghettos like the ones we tend to think about and or are accustomed to.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:46 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,017,490 times
Lot of good suggestions here but Spring Shadows hasn't been mentioned (along with the smaller neighborhoods just east of it and west of the Villages). Very close to the EC.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:30 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,819,768 times
Quote:
At one point the hoods were all inside or around 610, and new subdivisions were built just inside and outside beltway for the newest wave of middle-class flight in the 1970s and 1980s. Now "white flight", which is really just "middle-class flight", is continuing out even further along or outside of grand parkway 99. Coupling that with the gentrification we're seeing in inner loop neighborhoods, my best guess is that the areas between 610 to beltway 8 or just outside of beltway 8. I think you can already see certain areas along the beltway that have already been transformed into this reality for years, such as Alief or the areas directly south of the Astrodome stretching all the way down to beltway 8 like Sunnyside, Crestmont Park, South Park, etc. If you're "well to do", basically you'll want to live within the 610 loop or along 99.

There is of course one big exception to this, and that is the tract spreading westward north of westpark tollway and south of I-10. Perhaps the EC, the affluent neighborhoods like Memorial, or the general westward sprawl that Houston has had for decades has saved it from the same fate as other areas along the beltway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: