Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 03:43 PM

954 posts, read 1,549,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I would say Atlanta has similar weather. Where is the hate for Atalanta?
Lived in both cities and ATL has a better climate including more tolerable summers, though winters are colder with real chance of freezing precip and not just once every 10 years.
But no matter the Houston summers (and they are no joke for sure), I'd take H-Town climate over Chicagos winters.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:43 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
How long before the anti houston trolls show up?
I was wondering the same. It's imperative they enlighten our provincial, simple minds about the glories of America's truly wondrous cities. Countdown begins 4... 3... 2...

Old 10-07-2014, 03:44 PM

1,666 posts, read 1,017,293 times
Houston is great to make a lot of money (whether blue or white collar), pay reasonable prices for goods and services, have great food and raise a family.

Houston is terrible when it comes to landscape, outdoor activities and general big city problems (traffic, pollution, inconsiderate people, etc..).

Choose to live here or not depending on what of the above things are your priority. I think the article is showing us that humans will move to places to maximize their material wealth over other considerations. It's that simple.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:07 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,661,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
Lived in both cities and ATL has a better climate including more tolerable summers, though winters are colder with real chance of freezing precip and not just once every 10 years.
But no matter the Houston summers (and they are no joke for sure), I'd take H-Town climate over Chicagos winters.
Ain't that the truth. I would take our summers over those northern winters any day. Especially that winter they had last year.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:10 PM

288 posts, read 433,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXNative2Houston View Post
Choose to live here or not depending on what of the above things are your priority. I think the article is showing us that humans will move to places to maximize their material wealth over other considerations. It's that simple.
Traffic and rocketing home prices have already told us that.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:12 PM

958 posts, read 2,572,994 times
Don't have to shovel or scrape humidity

Old 10-07-2014, 05:07 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
Fairly balanced and fair article I think.

I decided to read some of the comments and man some people really hate Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
I read through the comments about Houston and unfortunately a lot of them are true . A bit harsh but true.
Lol, all I'm seeing is a bunch of whiny liberal zealots going on and on about rape, and religion(not even sure what that has to do with the article) and "rednecks" and "climate change". I assuming that the The Daily Beast is a liberal rag. But I think the author sums it up best as to what "progressivism" gets you as opposed to the way its done it Houston.

Quote:
The Bay Area, for all its vaunted progressivism, increasingly resembles a “gated community” whose high prices repel most potential newcomers, particularly families. Already by far the nation’s least affordable city—only 14 percent of current residents can possibly afford to buy a home—it represents a growth model that is by definition exclusive, almost a throwback to medieval forms where the rich clustered inside the city gates.

Quote:
Ironically, Houston’s growth has been more egalitarian than that of the notionally super-progressive San Francisco region. A recent Brookings report found that income inequality has increased most rapidly in what is probably the most left-leaning big city in America, where the wages of the poorest 20 percent of all households have actually declined amid the dot com billions.

This inequality has a distinct racial element. The Bay Area gap between white residents (who dominate the tech economy) and minorities is among the highest in the nation while, during the boom, income has fallen for Hispanics and African-Americans, according to Joint Venture Silicon Valley.

This racial divergence is far less pronounced in Houston, while the growth of poverty since 2000 has been slower, increasing at one third the rate of New York and San Francisco, and half that of Los Angeles. The Texas city may lack the great views of San Francisco, but Houston has turned out to be a better city for middle class minorities. Homeownership among African Americans stands at 42 percent and for Latinos at more than 53 percent; this compares to 32 and 37 percent in the Bay Area.

I think I'll stick with Houston.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:34 PM

287 posts, read 549,054 times
People, or I should say the ones with such an unnatural hate for Houston, can say whatever they like but this city is growing, thriving, evolving and becoming a national/global leader. Don't see that changing anytime soon and the naysayers will just have to get over it. Sure the city has things it needs to work on but then again what city doesn't? There's no such thing as a perfect city.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:49 PM

112 posts, read 198,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBaker488 View Post
I'd take H-Town climate over Chicagos winters.
After living in both cities, I would totally agree
Don't know why the hatin' on Houston, but oh well, they can stay wherever they're at. As the article says Houston offers more opportunity for all, not just the well off. Why would liberals have an issue with that?

Old 10-07-2014, 05:57 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
Houston is coming up but of course there is still the issue how to accommodate for all the growth. The city will have to learn to spend more on infrastructure and improve public space. The mass influx of new residents has exhausted the city's capacities.

Sorry but the state will have to at least go purple to stay afloat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston