Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 01:12 PM

785 posts, read 1,227,464 times

Advertisements

Interesting article today explaining how Houston and the San Francisco Bay Area are poised to overtake the declining Los Angeles and Chicago regions in the coming decades:

Battle of the Upstarts: Houston vs. San Francisco Bay - The Daily Beast

New York remains the country’s preeminent city, but its most powerful rivals are likely to be neither Chicago nor Los Angeles, but rather two regions rarely listed in the hierarchy of influential regions: the San Francisco Bay Area and Houston.

Chicago’s situation is arguably even worse, but it is more threatened by Houston, which has already passed the Windy City in numbers of corporate headquarters. Since 2010, when U.S. industry began recovering, Houston manufacturing employment expanded by more than 17 percent, compared to flat growth in Chicago.

“Houston is the Chicago of this era—like the old Chicago,” remarks David Peebles, who runs the Texas office of Odebrecht, a $45 billion engineering firm based in Brazil. “In the ’60s you had to go to Chicago, Cleveland, and Detroit. Now Houston is the place for new industry.”

Far less appreciated, Houston, rather than being a southern city of duller wits, actually ranks second in engineers per capita. If the Bay Area is master of the digital economy, Houston ranks as the technological leader of the material one; it is the capital for the energy-driven revival of U.S. industry, not only in Texas but throughout the old industrial heartland.

Ironically, Houston’s growth has been more egalitarian than that of the notionally super-progressive San Francisco region. A recent Brookings report found that income inequality has increased most rapidly in what is probably the most left-leaning big city in America, where the wages of the poorest 20 percent of all households have actually declined amid the dot com billions.

The Texas city may lack the great views of San Francisco, but Houston has turned out to be a better city for middle class minorities. Homeownership among African Americans stands at 42 percent and for Latinos at more than 53 percent; this compares to 32 and 37 percent in the Bay Area.

Old 10-07-2014, 01:44 PM

958 posts, read 2,560,511 times
Fairly balanced and fair article I think.

I decided to read some of the comments and man some people really hate Houston

Old 10-07-2014, 01:54 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,773,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
Fairly balanced and fair article I think.

I read through the comments about Houston and unfortunately a lot of them are true . A bit harsh but true.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:18 PM

954 posts, read 1,541,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorprey View Post
No doubt about that, there's lots of folks with real harsh thoughts about H-Town, but we knew that.
And I think no place gets more abuse and particularly from the national media than Houston. First off it's of course in Texas which means no income tax and a right-to-work state and the media is all about progressive income taxation and it's very supportive of labor unions, even more so recently with all the outcry about "income inequality".
Now when it comes to Houston specifically, there's no zoning within the city limits which usually leaves
the lefties in the NYC media totally dumbfounded. And the biggest reason of all to dislike Houston: fossil fuel capital of the US, likely the whole world, and the NYC crowd is all about the mantra that global warming/climate change is gonna be the demise of all of us and the biggest reason for GW is use of fossile fuels.
But back to the article: it's not entitled these 2 cities are destined to be the most popular places in the world to live.

Old 10-07-2014, 02:19 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,353,911 times
I think if our weather was better, there would be a lot less complaints.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:25 PM

403 posts, read 676,667 times
I sure hope some more biotech moves to the area.

Old 10-07-2014, 03:52 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,333,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
I think if our weather was better, there would be a lot less complaints.
I would say Atlanta has similar weather. Where is the hate for Atalanta?

Old 10-07-2014, 03:54 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
Interesting article today explaining how Houston and the San Francisco Bay Area are poised to overtake the declining Los Angeles and Chicago regions in the coming decades:

Battle of the Upstarts: Houston vs. San Francisco Bay - The Daily Beast

New York remains the country’s preeminent city, but its most powerful rivals are likely to be neither Chicago nor Los Angeles, but rather two regions rarely listed in the hierarchy of influential regions: the San Francisco Bay Area and Houston.

Chicago’s situation is arguably even worse, but it is more threatened by Houston, which has already passed the Windy City in numbers of corporate headquarters. Since 2010, when U.S. industry began recovering, Houston manufacturing employment expanded by more than 17 percent, compared to flat growth in Chicago.

“Houston is the Chicago of this era—like the old Chicago,” remarks David Peebles, who runs the Texas office of Odebrecht, a $45 billion engineering firm based in Brazil. “In the ’60s you had to go to Chicago, Cleveland, and Detroit. Now Houston is the place for new industry.”

Far less appreciated, Houston, rather than being a southern city of duller wits, actually ranks second in engineers per capita. If the Bay Area is master of the digital economy, Houston ranks as the technological leader of the material one; it is the capital for the energy-driven revival of U.S. industry, not only in Texas but throughout the old industrial heartland.

Ironically, Houston’s growth has been more egalitarian than that of the notionally super-progressive San Francisco region. A recent Brookings report found that income inequality has increased most rapidly in what is probably the most left-leaning big city in America, where the wages of the poorest 20 percent of all households have actually declined amid the dot com billions.

The Texas city may lack the great views of San Francisco, but Houston has turned out to be a better city for middle class minorities. Homeownership among African Americans stands at 42 percent and for Latinos at more than 53 percent; this compares to 32 and 37 percent in the Bay Area.
The Energy Capital of the World vs Silicon Valley, let the best man win. Seriously though, thanks for the article, good read.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:17 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,353,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I would say Atlanta has similar weather. Where is the hate for Atalanta?
I would say sometimes similar, having been there quite a few times. Atlanta has absolutely beautiful landscapes. Trees that actually turn to fall colors during the holiday, windy roads and soft hills, and lush green scenery when traveling between towns. We have the hill country, but it's not the same. Don't get me wrong, I love Texas, but I would definitely not compare us to Atlanta. Maybe LA. and Floribama.

Old 10-07-2014, 04:37 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,097,072 times
How long before the anti houston trolls show up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston