Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 6,604 times

Advertisements

We are fairly new in town(3yrs) and now looking to buy a home specifically in West Houston north of Westheimer with a budget of under 240k.
Recently viewed several houses in these subdivisions, and really liked the old mature neighborhoods, vintage feels. We are originally from one of the world's densest cities, we don't mind a 'smaller' house to live in (actually thinking the size of homes btw 1700-1900 is just perfect for my family for about 5 years from now. We have a 2yo baby and just three of us). We want to send our kid to private school so no worry for schools for now.
I have a couple of friends who bought their houses in Country Village and near in 2009 and 2010. Also looked at CV we didn't find anything fit our budget, most of them needed lots of work. We want to spare our money since we are looking for a relocation opportunity in few years back to where we are from. But it is just our hope. It may not happen.

Current market price is almost $110~130/sqft in Asford Hills/South/West, Briar Village, based on recent sale prices (we have a realtor who did the job for us)
Is it overpriced? Will it appreciate ok for the next few years? (I know.. stupid question) I would love to know what you think of and if anybody resides in these hoods I'd love to hear how they love their place.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 10:47 PM

71 posts, read 139,689 times
I lived in Ashford Forest, just north of Ashford South, due east of Ashford West for four years. Ashford South is part of the same HOA. I can say that South is appreciating just as many of the neighborhoods in the Energy corridor. The houses are smaller and predominantly one story, and therefore go for less. But, in 2010, Ashford West and South houses were going for under 150k, now I've seen asking prices in the upper 200s, remodels over 300k.

Briar Village and Ashford Hills are similar vintage and in the same neighborhood security co- op (paid Harris Co Precinct 5 patrol). all of these Briar Forest area neighborhoods are fairly quiet, safe and have a mix of long time residents and young families. Nice communites, with pools, parks, tennis courts. And not too far from the Terry Hershey park trails along the bayou. If you can stay further north of Westheimer and interior to Dairy Ashford, Briar Forest and Kirkwood roads, life will be quieter, away from apartments, and the resale price higher. But still, even Briar Forest houses were going fast when we sold in May.

In my opinion, Ashford West has a different feel from those east of Dairy Ashford. Stylistically,the homes are similar to the other neighborhoods you named, but adjacent to a lot of older apartments along Whittington drive, and some crime spills over, though it's mostly confined to the complexes themselves. Ashford West is next to the private Village School, too, for later schooling needs.

We liked living in Ashford Forest and were pleased with the price appreciation 2010 to 2014. People that want to be in west Houston, near the Energy Corridor or bayou or with easy access to I10, Beltway 8 aand Westheimer are landing in these 77077 neighborhoods because the school district north of the bayou in 77079 prices them out. That zip is hot, has been hot for ages because of the traditional feel, good schools and association with Memorial. Its nice to see the adjacent, in my opinion very similar neighborhoods, getting some splashover...demand reflected in rapid sales, multiple offers, and rising prices. Home sales were very rapid in the spring, though I'm not sure what the market is like now as we've left Texas!

As others will tell you, further north toward the bayou is somewhat preferred and demands a greater price, but for your wanted house size and budget, the Ashford South, Hills and Briar Hills neighborhoods are established, well-regarded and in pretty good shape for 40+ year old homes.

Last edited by geopainter; 10-08-2014 at 11:03 PM..

Old 10-09-2014, 08:12 PM

Thank you geopainter! Just realized there are so many apts along Whittington.
I like that part of town anyway and just like others hope it keeps getting better and nicer, eventually replace the sketchy areas with new businesses and etc....

Old 10-09-2014, 09:52 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,383,433 times
Briar Village is zoned to great schools. It's going to keep its value for a long time, even though I prefer the houses in the Ashford neighborhoods.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Briar Village is zoned to great schools. It's going to keep its value for a long time, even though I prefer the houses in the Ashford neighborhoods.
To clarify to the person who messaged me...
It's zoned to Barbara Bush Elementary, which is excellent and the middle and high school are good options.
West Briar MS and Westside HS. They are not the best of the best, but they are both solid schools.

SBISD has better schools, but the prices are much higher.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:55 PM

Heard from somebody living in Briar Village that there is a rumor that they will rezone for Bush Elem. And if that happens BV is no longer zoned to Bush. Wonder how true this rumor is.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:17 PM

Hmm...I doubt it. Barbara Bush is already a small zone and its on the edge. Not sure where it would be reasoned for? Are there apartments right next door that cause overcrowding. I haven't been out that way in a long time.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:09 AM

226 posts, read 310,345 times
We bought in Ashford South last year and love it! It has a small-town, community feel even the middle of Houston, and it's close to everything. I've bbeen keeping an eye on new listings, and prices do seem to be going up from this time last year.

I agree with Geopainter's reference to the apartments on Whittington. They do seem to keep the asking prices lower in AW. Really hoping they start upgrading and raising their rents. (Though now Whittington goes all the way through to Eldridge, and there are new, upscale-looking apartments going up up past the Village Schcool.) Prices also seem to be lower in BV, perhaps because of its proximity to Westheimer, West Oaks, and Alief?

To me, Ashford South is the nicest of the more affordable communities in 77077.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: