Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 05:58 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
Especially when I'd show up at 9, begin my day grinding away while I saw co workers show up at 9 but go on a Starbucks run close by, come back, sit at their cubicle, talk a little here and there, and not really start on much until almost 1030. By 4ish, I was done and ready to leave(but had to stay 8-9 hours or else it would be frowned upon). Many would stay until past 6 easily.
That is the answer right there. Most people cannot manage themselves to work on time and effectively unless THE BOSS is walking by and checking up on them.

Working at home takes a certain self-starter mentality that most people do not possess and never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 08:56 AM

705 posts, read 1,259,876 times
Working from home isn't for everyone and isn't for every job. I don't think the OP was refering to all the jobs should be worked from home. It should be a privilege to work from home and only when you have proved yourself at work. Exempt employees are paid to do a certain amount of work, non-exempt are paid to work a certain amount of hours. Some days I can wrap everything up in 3 hours, some days it takes me 9 hours. There's no point in me sitting at the office from 7-4 just because. There's more incentive to finish your work, working from home. If i can get it done in 3 hours, I have the rest of the day to run errands or cook dinner. I do like going into the office and usually do 3-4 times a week.

Employers should look into telecommuting and flex schedules and see if it will work for their company. I know I am less stressed and have more time to spend with the family due to my schedule. It seems most people are already stressed and in a bad mood before they even get to work due to traffic. If Houston can get 10-20% of drivers off the road during rush hour that will make a big difference.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:01 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
That is the answer right there. Most people cannot manage themselves to work on time and effectively unless THE BOSS is walking by and checking up on them.

Working at home takes a certain self-starter mentality that most people do not possess and never will.
If you ask the OP, he'll tell you that you are making that up

Old 10-17-2014, 01:36 PM

360 posts, read 665,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
If you ask the OP, he'll tell you that you are making that up
The Op is a female. And no, I wouldn't. Again, EVERYONE is not an ideal telecommuting employee. I don't care about those people. I care about the ones that WOULD work and feel they should have the opportunity to telecommute. That would be one less person on the road during rush hour traffic. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

Old 10-17-2014, 04:07 PM

498 posts, read 837,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
If Houston can get 10-20% of drivers off the road during rush hour that will make a big difference.
10% off the road for tele-commuting, 10% off the road (at any given time) for flex-commuting, and another 10% off the road from a real commuter-rail solution and suddenly I-10 wouldn't seem that bad after 6am.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:03 AM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
The Op is a female. And no, I wouldn't. Again, EVERYONE is not an ideal telecommuting employee. I don't care about those people. I care about the ones that WOULD work and feel they should have the opportunity to telecommute. That would be one less person on the road during rush hour traffic. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?
ok, ok
still, I think commuter rail and HOV lanes work better

Old 10-21-2014, 01:34 PM

135 posts, read 179,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by key2thecity View Post
You're right. I'm definitely being anecdotal. No real research involved. Just a suggestion to go along with a million others. I believe this did work for the Best Buy corporate office a few years ago. I'm not sure if they're still doing it though. My company does it as well. We're international with a small staff of about 300, but we make money and haven't suffered for it yet. I don't really feel the need to quantify my hypothesis on City Data, though. I'm just not that interested because honestly, I doubt it would ever happen, but it seemed like an interesting thread to start. I'll check out the link though. Thanks! (not being sarcastic, btw)
Understood - at it's best, CD should be a place to bat around theories and share some knowledge. I'm all for progressive ideas - but I am also a grumpy skeptic.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:21 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Just read this about the increase in telecommuting in Houston based on the census data.

FlexJob Brie Reynolds says Houston businesses telecommute more frequently than others - Houston Business Journal

Here is the census data regarding commuting.
http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...prodType=table

Old 12-03-2014, 08:28 PM

9 posts, read 12,547 times
just remember, if you can do it from home, you can do it from india...

Old 12-03-2014, 08:40 PM

191 posts, read 485,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac mindwarp View Post
just remember, if you can do it from home, you can do it from india...
Unfortunately, this is true....if you can do it from home, we (or they) can just pay someone a whole lot less money to do it from India. This is so sad but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston