Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2014, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 862 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I are both teachers. We have three children, and are looking to relocate to the Houston suburbs where it seems teacher and administrator pay is significantly higher (I'm from South Carolina), even when cost of living is taken into account. As a "for instance," I make 37,000 a year currently, and would make somewhere between 52-56,000 in the Houston area.

My questions are these:

A) What is the job market like right now in places like Sugar Land/Missouri City (Fort Bend ISD area) for teachers and admins? Any teachers out there wanna tell me how much you like/dislike working there? What are some other good districts to work in with solid schools and pay?

B) We are looking at a very wide net in the burbs of Houston... everything from Katy to Spring to Sugar Land. What's the best?

C) I'd love to get a story or anecdote or two from one of you fine folks who have done this yourselves (made a large move with a family to the Houston area).

Long story short is that my wife and I have lived in one place our whole lives. The area we live in is great, but we long for striking out on our own and experiencing a new place. Thanks in advance for whatever advice/direction you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 08:30 PM

31 posts, read 118,669 times
My wife is a 7th grade English teacher in Conroe ISD. Like you we came from an area where teachers pay is much less (South Florida, she was paid around 39,000). We just moved here in early June and love it!

We do not have kids yet but we are currently renting in the Spring/Woodlands area (77389) which is Klein ISD. But we are planning on staying in this northern suburb area when we are ready to buy a house next year.

This area is nice because you do have a fair amount of districts close to us here like Klein, Tomball, Conroe, Magnolia, Spring, Aldine.

Hope that helps! I'll be happy to answer any other questions for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston