Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 12:16 PM

377 posts, read 1,341,376 times

Advertisements

I personally know many riverstone parents who are nice, understanding and just-go-with-the flow. Most of them prefer FSMS than FCMS. Fine. I understand.

But the poohs among them ....who claim they teach high moral and ethical values to their kids ...claim they are highly educated believe that public school zoning should be based on the value of the homes ? That too, pooh cutoff is at 650K. wow.. I mean, WOW. They claim they are educated but lack common sense ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 12:27 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretogo View Post
I personally know many riverstone parents who are nice, understanding and just-go-with-the flow. Most of them prefer FSMS than FCMS. Fine. I understand.

But the poohs among them ....who claim they teach high moral and ethical values to their kids ...claim they are highly educated believe that public school zoning should be based on the value of the homes ? That too, pooh cutoff is at 650K. wow.. I mean, WOW. They claim they are educated but lack common sense ??
Exactly.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:46 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,777,212 times
As mentioned, I wasn't at the BOT meeting last night but am told there's now an alternative zoning map that has Telfair (Cornerstone) kicked out of Clements HS and over to Austin HS. Austin HS is more full and expected to become overcrowded eventually -- which is why they had Telfair proposed to be zoned to Clements before. If I lived in Telfair, I'd be very upset that the district would be more swayed by who yells loudest (Clements protesters I assume) as opposed to what the data suggests is best in the long-term to help with overcrowding.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:15 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,761,220 times
Message from the volunteer group on the Riverstone issue:

First of all we like to thank everyone who were at Board meeting yesterday and also who waited till 10:45pm when we were actually allowed to speak. It shows how important you feel about this issue.

We were happy to see the Revised District feeder pattern with the change we requested. Yes, they moved the ES 47 back to FSMS and kept the FCMS as it's currently feed by other schools. But unfortunately the presenter didn't even bothered to mention that change was made in new plan. Anyway, we should be happy after all the effort we had put in last few weeks.

They now have Scenario A, Scenario A Alternate and Scenario B. Scenario A Alternate was the one we supported which was Elkins Alternate pattern and they proposed it has Scenario B except few boundary changes. We still cannot call it has a victory yet because they still going to hear back from the community about this Scenario B proposal and make final Recommendation for the Board in Dec to vote on it in Jan 2015.

Boundary Changes
Here are the crucial boundary changes. They moved Avalon at Riverstone to go to CWE instead of ES 47 school and it will feed to FSMS and later to Clements following the CWE feeder pattern. Yes, they got better deal if you look at it going to Clements but that's the way it will work giving more space for others in ES 47. Also they didn't include Creekstone and Brookside to FSMS like previous plan. They kept those communities outside of ES 47 and let them stay with Settlers way and changed them to feed to First Colony instead of FSMS which is big change for them. These 2 changes allowed ES 47 school to stay in capacity and allow for future growth for few years.

Deeper Dive
Riverstone is big community. We are already split into North, South and East. North side which includes Parkside, Crossing Cove, Terrace, The Crossing all going to Austin Parkway/SW feeding to First Colony and to Elkins. This pattern is unaffected.

South side which are new communities around Lake Riverstone, LJ Parkway and Avalon at Riverstone currently going to CWE feeding to FSMS and to Elkins. It will now feed from ES 47 to FSMS and to Elkins except Avalon which will be feed into CWE and to Clements.

But there is also East side communities which comprises of Creekstone village, Brookside which are currently going to Settlers way feeding to FSMS and Elkins. They will be changed to feed to First Colony instead of First Settlement giving way to new communities. That's kinda of contention point now as many Creekstone neighbors are not happy with it. We might need to support and recommend a plan to include them as well in the new feeder pattern.

Future Steps
Going back to FSMS feeder pattern, since Scenario B was proposed yesterday and many board members reluctantly agreed to it. We still need push them to consider it full heartedly. So we need participate in the Community Dialogues coming up in Dec 1st and 3rd to push our points to make it get through the board next year.

Residents can also send email to Dr.Dupre and other board members thanking for listening and open mind about it and share few points why this is work out and make sense. Also try suggesting them to consider bringing Creekstone and Brookside to FSMS as well.

The fight goes on till Board approves next year so continue with the steps mentioned above and we will keep you posted.

Thank you for all the support!!

Old 01-19-2015, 03:26 PM

155 posts, read 265,928 times
Any new updates on this ? Commonwealth is not accepting any Kindergarten kids in 2015-2016 school year?

Old 01-19-2015, 03:28 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,794,549 times
They are voting on the rezoning on 1-26. Just Google News FBISD.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:50 AM

174 posts, read 404,530 times
the latest plan for Riverstone is to keep Creekstone Village and Brookside zoned to the new elementary school ES 47, Middle School is Fort Settlement and High School is Elkin. FBISD is listening to the voice of Riverstone community.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:51 AM

154 posts, read 194,849 times
I heard they are going to zone the Avalon to only "good school " Common wealth , ft settlement and Elkins and rest of the riverstone to ES 47 , First colony and Elkins . is it correct ? I think they are going to decide on it today .

Old 01-20-2015, 12:19 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nisw View Post
I heard they are going to zone the Avalon to only "good school " Common wealth , ft settlement and Elkins and rest of the riverstone to ES 47 , First colony and Elkins . is it correct ? I think they are going to decide on it today .
That is not right. You can see the plans on the FBISD website.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:06 PM

154 posts, read 194,849 times
I get so confused looking at this feeder pattern . Scenario A , B , alternate , OMG . So, are they zoning only Creekstone Village and Brookside to ft settlement and rest of the riverstone to First colony ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston