Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 05:00 PM

54 posts, read 92,037 times

Advertisements

Saying your kid goes to Commonwealth or Clements is like a badge of honor for the Riverstone desis.... trust me, I know many of them. It is kinda silly, because the way the desis work/abuse the system to get their kids in those schools actually lowers the quality of the school. They don't care though, because that's what their neighbors and friends do so it must be right. A lot of them just want to say their kid goes to one of these school but don't want to spend time or effort with their kids to make sure they succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 06:00 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,653,358 times
None of us in Riverstone want our kids to go to Clements. We are happy with Elkins. I mean, a rogue person may, but we aren’t pushing for that at all. And we think CWE should have an addition. No one wants anyone to leave CWE or FSMS. I am not Indian. I am a Jewish mom who cares about kids. Period. My kids don’t need a badge of honor nor do I.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:26 PM

54 posts, read 92,037 times
"Desis" refers to Indian people. So I am talking about Indian people.... they all want Commonwealth and Clements

Old 04-13-2018, 07:13 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,653,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiator11 View Post
"Desis" refers to Indian people. So I am talking about Indian people.... they all want Commonwealth and Clements
I get that. I have lots of Desi friends. But in this rezone, Riverstone is not pushing for or asking for Clements.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:04 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,042,552 times
Even if Meadows Elementary will need a new building, if you subtract that, how much extra space would FBISD have to deal with additional enrollment elsewhere in the district?

I was under the impression that Meadows ES was declining, but https://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/s...22/school.aspx schooldigger's stats seem to show that from 2009 to 2016 the enrollment was constant. The major studentt body decrease happened in 1990-1991, when the student body went from 724 to 429. The lowest point was 414 in 2007.

Even if say Meadows Place was to eventually have an unsustainable enrollment, the extra space could be turned into a regional Pre-K center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
https://v3.boardbook.org/Public/Publ...aspx?smk=89357

They are saying Meadows is at 83% of the life cycle of the building so heavy investment will need to be spent to update it, which doesn't make sense.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:12 PM

1,237 posts, read 2,009,889 times
While I am not intimately familiar with Meadows El today, there is a lot of civic pride for the school and they've always been proud of performing extremely well compared to their socio-economic peers. It's really one of the underrated gems of Houston area elementaries and it would be an abomination for it to close.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:11 AM

139 posts, read 155,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
I get that. I have lots of Desi friends. But in this rezone, Riverstone is not pushing for or asking for Clements.
The overwhelming applause at the meetings to rezone Telfair from Clements says otherwise. There is also a petition to zone Avalon at Riverstone to Clements. Currently a small section on the north side is zoned. The rest want to be zoned and that will spread like wildfire once they do.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:41 AM

139 posts, read 155,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
None of us in Riverstone want our kids to go to Clements. We are happy with Elkins. I mean, a rogue person may, but we aren’t pushing for that at all. And we think CWE should have an addition. No one wants anyone to leave CWE or FSMS. I am not Indian. I am a Jewish mom who cares about kids. Period. My kids don’t need a badge of honor nor do I.
You mentioned Telfair should have never been zoned to Clements, why ? to preserve a clean feeding pattern ? Then why not preserve a clean Elkins pattern. Why not push to expand ASE ? CWE serves as a playground for the community where as ASE is hidden from the rest of Riverstone. Not only were local residents locked out of their own school during closed enrollment, now you want to build an additional permanent structure, where ? Have you walked around the building ?

People in the older communities are not angry about rogue ideas, there is large concerted effort within Riverstone to push older communities out of schools they paid to have built. Ask any of the board members which we have and it's confirmed. Go on the social media outlets and you'll hear arguments about how much taxes they pay so they're owed the best schools - unfortunately, they don't bother to compare taxes nor understand how they're paying for new sewage lines, sidewalks, water works, etc ... The meetings are very indicative of what's going on. They hijacked ALL the meetings, muscled their way to the front even though there was no room and are totally disrespectful. This is definitely not a small rogue effort.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:51 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,733,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_transplant_in_Houston View Post
You mentioned Telfair should have never been zoned to Clements, why ? to preserve a clean feeding pattern ? Then why not preserve a clean Elkins pattern. Why not push to expand ASE ? CWE serves as a playground for the community where as ASE is hidden from the rest of Riverstone. Not only were local residents locked out of their own school during closed enrollment, now you want to build an additional permanent structure, where ? Have you walked around the building ?

People in the older communities are not angry about rogue ideas, there is large concerted effort within Riverstone to push older communities out of schools they paid to have built. Ask any of the board members which we have and it's confirmed. Go on the social media outlets and you'll hear arguments about how much taxes they pay so they're owed the best schools - unfortunately, they don't bother to compare taxes nor understand how they're paying for new sewage lines, sidewalks, water works, etc ... The meetings are very indicative of what's going on. They hijacked ALL the meetings, muscled their way to the front even though there was no room and are totally disrespectful. This is definitely not a small rogue effort.
Agree, pretty much spot on

Old 04-14-2018, 05:53 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,733,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston321 View Post
The bold truth that everyone skirts around is that many Riverstone folks don't want their kids going to school with a lower economic class, or at least...as few as possible. That is why they pay a premium to live there. I always wondered why they don't just send them private if it's that big of a deal.
True
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston