Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 10:29 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,017,815 times

Advertisements

Builder is not going to know anything about zoning. All the Riverston builder salespeople are probably instructed to tell people they are going to be zoned to Clements eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 11:02 AM

556 posts, read 1,086,102 times
Quote:
Both of them are charging you another 1.25 or more in annual property tax to pay for new neighborhood. This is a big amount. You are basically paying another 100k for the house as the monthly property tax payment is at least $750-$1000 more a month than rest of Sugar Land.
care to show your work here?

Old 10-30-2014, 11:29 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
I based on my calculation while I was searching for homes and might have chance a little bit but approx should be around there.

First Colony property tax are generally 2.2% for the older houses. Riverstone is 3.4%. I believe Sienna is even more. You also have to take into account the houses in First Colony are taxed lower due to homestead and slower appreciation. So basically you are looking at 7,000-10,000 more in property tax annually assuming house price is the same.

Old 10-30-2014, 11:44 AM

556 posts, read 1,086,102 times
What sales price are you basing this on...a million plus?

The median sales price in those areas is around $350K. The total tax bill (without exemptions mind you) would be ~11.4K in Sienna, and that's assuming you're talking about the areas with the 3.26% tax rate. It would be lower in the parts that have 3.0%. Compare that to First Colony and your taxes would be about $8K, so you're talking about an annual difference of about $3.4K. It would be even lower once you add in the homestead exemption.

First Colony = 2.27%
Sienna Plantation = 3.0-3.26%

Old 10-30-2014, 12:08 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity101 View Post

The median sales price in those areas is around $350K. The total tax bill (without exemptions mind you) would be ~11.4K in Sienna, and that's assuming you're talking about the areas with the 3.26% tax rate. It would be lower in the parts that have 3.0%. Compare that to First Colony and your taxes would be about $8K, so you're talking about an annual difference of about $3.4K. It would be even lower once you add in the homestead exemption.

First Colony = 2.27%
It was based on 500k. I was comparing more along the line of Riverstone and FC. So you are right as Sienna houses are generally a bit lower. However, I was under the assumption Sienna property tax is 3.3 and up.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:50 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortbendgal View Post
Hi All!
We are in quite a big dilemma that we can't seem to resolve after months of planning. I would like to get some comments, suggestions etc on these two Master Planned Communities. Any suggestions/inputs appreciated. Thanks!
Where is the job location(s)? That can make a difference.

I also agree with others about the relatively high prices (Riverstone particularly) and to also consider already existing/established communities, or at least the inventory homes, before building from the ground up if you want your budget to go further. Swope and others were able to get in before the prices went through the roof. When we were still living in First Colony, Riverstone had much more reasonable pricing considering half of it is MoCity and not conveniently located like First Colony, Telfair, etc. Fast forward and the prices are through the roof, it's a little ridiculous IMO.

Old 10-30-2014, 02:18 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,121,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It all depends what you want.

We love Sienna. It's not a "drive thru" community in the sense that people use surface streets as a thoroughfare to get somewhere else, like we do now with Riverstone and LJ Parkway/University. All of the schools are developed, and in neighborhood. Three, soon to be four, elementary schools, one, soon to be two middle schools, and a high school. All integrated and rolling up into the one path.

The golf course is great, and the amenities are more mature and available compared to Riverstone. I'm not sure what section of Riverstone you're looking in but some are zoned to ETJ Missouri City instead of ETJ Sugar Land. Of course ETJ actually means nothing, as you're not part of that city, just in their sphere of potential future annexation.

We bought 8 years ago, so it was a completely different area in both senses then, but the honest answer is that there isn't really a bad choice with either.
^^

Yes...Sienna is a little further out but since we work from home, it's perfect for us. I really do appreciate that we are not a thru-community either. We also drive through Riverstone now to get to the Grand Parkway area, Costco and Sugar Land around Sweetwater. I drove through today and noticed, however, that there are a lot of future retail locations right smack in the middle of Riverstone (near the CVS, Shell station and apartments).

We love the excellent elementary school we're zoned to and the amenities. It's very family-oriented. We just had our annual Fall Family Camp Out where we pitch tents, the kids tent-or-treat, watch a movie on a big screen, do s'mores with the Boy Scouts and then "visit" with friends/neighbors until lights out.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either community. We have friends in Riverstone and they love it there.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:39 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggity101 View Post

First Colony = 2.27%
This is very misleading.....A home for 350K in First Colony is WAAAAAAAY different than a overpriced new starter home at 350K. If comparing apples to apples....a home similar to the new one in Riverstone/Sienna will appraised a whole lot higher (then factor in the tax rate).

Note to mods; I'm not soliciting anyone's listing, just using this for an example. I'm not a REALTOR.

Example; this is what you'll get for 350k

Colony Meadows 4610 Cobb Circle Drive, Sugar Land, TX 77479 - HAR.com
Appraised at FBCAD at 278k http://www.fbcad.org/Appraisal/Publi...OwnerID=150626

compare to a newer home(cheaper home 339k) 3806 Orchard Springs, Sugar Land, TX 77479 - HAR.com
That thing is assessed higher than the older home lol at 295k http://www.fbcad.org/Appraisal/Publi...nerID=11241448

Tact on the higher tax rate..then tell me who's the smarter buyer lmao

Last edited by usc619; 10-30-2014 at 06:58 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 14,711 times
Thanks to all for the kind responses and suggestions. Considering the fact that we are very particular about colors, selections, lots, stone/stucco etc., we will stick to the new home plan. For that reason we accept we are going to pay the higher price/tax. Commute to the FBTR once they extend will be very convenient for my spouse's work but as for me I'm going up and down 59 north and south about 5X daily for shopping, errands, work and kid's after school activities. Plus we have family who are all off of 59. I agree that every bit counts and that's one of my concerns right now. Every time I drive past RS to SP, I keep thinking I could be home! Just a bit turned off by how old elkins HS looks and the prices are high and only going up!

Old 10-31-2014, 12:22 AM

587 posts, read 1,134,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortbendgal View Post
Thanks to all for the kind responses and suggestions. Considering the fact that we are very particular about colors, selections, lots, stone/stucco etc., we will stick to the new home plan. For that reason we accept we are going to pay the higher price/tax. Commute to the FBTR once they extend will be very convenient for my spouse's work but as for me I'm going up and down 59 north and south about 5X daily for shopping, errands, work and kid's after school activities. Plus we have family who are all off of 59. I agree that every bit counts and that's one of my concerns right now. Every time I drive past RS to SP, I keep thinking I could be home! Just a bit turned off by how old elkins HS looks and the prices are high and only going up!
just fyi..Elkins high is 20 years old...Clements is 31 years old....they could both use facelifts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston