Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 09:45 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
You do know those prices are only temporary right? HEB lowers the prices at new locations when they first open to attract customers

Exactly. It should be overly obvious but who knows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
The folks at Vintage Park would beg to differ.

Same for the people at Sugar Land New Territory.

I do like my Vintage HEB and will go and fight the crowds as opposed to going to the heb the same distance away from me by Klein highschool

Old 11-08-2014, 09:55 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
I live near the Bay Colony HEB, & go there for a few things, but I usually end up going to the Friendswood Kroger. Their produce section is outstanding. I will definitely be checking out the HEB on 96, though. I agree--each store is completely different, & I end up going to several just to buy everything I want .

I guess the one & only thing I miss from the RGV is the HEB-Plus. It had to cater to the both the wealthy Mexican & "winter Texan" demographic, so it was not only larger, but had more upscale options like Central Market.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:24 AM

200 posts, read 297,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
You do know those prices are only temporary right? HEB lowers the prices at new locations when they first open to attract customers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Exactly. It should be overly obvious but who knows
the HEB in Pearland didn't do that. or at least not on the things I was looking at. they were more expensive than other HEBs. maybe they did it on just the pricey items? that I couldn't say. however if they did discount pricer items they were sure getting it back on other items they increased the prices on.

I mean I know HEB sausage tends to be better health-wise (not by much, true) but I don't get it being one of the most expensive brands in their stores. and it was a good .20 cents more at the Pearland one when it opened. knick-knack that all over the store and I'm sure they made up any actual discounts that existed.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:45 PM

682 posts, read 1,941,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemichael View Post
if it did I am not aware of that unless it closed down before I really paid any attention to grocery stores. there is a Kroger right off of I-45 in League City though that has been there quite a while.
There is one at 646 and 45 that opened about 10 years ago. It was one of the first businesses at that intersection. Not quite as fancy as the one on 96 but still pretty nice.

Old 11-08-2014, 12:47 PM

352 posts, read 778,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I'm assuming this is the one on hwy 96?
yea right off 96.

they sell products that the one on 646 doesnt have. its more of a central market level heb. alot more premium level products.
which is why i said a hybrid of the two.

Old 11-08-2014, 01:36 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
Quote:
also, not all HEBs, even that one in Pearland carry the same items. now that bugs me to no end! my own pet peeve. for one example, the HEB in Pasadena has these great small, single serving (a non-supersized serving), low fat, and low sodium (as in under 500mgs) ham steaks. yet, no other HEB has them. argh! just the full of fat, oversized, close to or over 1000mg, big as your head ones are what I usually find at other HEBs. and then there is things I find at the Clear Lake store I don't find at others. I think they should all be the same! I've been told though that grocery stores try to order based on the market they are in but that just doesn't seem like it would apply to those little things I come across.
Well the Pasadena HEB definitely nailed down the market if you look at their beer selection. Basically they have nothing but Budweiser, Miller, some crappy local light beer and big-name Mexican. Very noticeable coming from Clear Lake, where a large craft brew selection and a "pick 6" option is standard. Even Food Town and some convenience stores have some selection.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:25 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,951,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
There is one at 646 and 45 that opened about 10 years ago. It was one of the first businesses at that intersection. Not quite as fancy as the one on 96 but still pretty nice.
That's the one I was referring to at Bay Colony. It's just OK--not even up to the level of the HEB-Plus in the Valley .

I'll definitely be checking out the new one on 96. I just drove by there a few minutes ago, & it didn't look like a complete traffic mess, & I would've stopped by if not for the 4 lbs of shrimp from Rose's in the car

Maybe tomorrow.

Old 11-08-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
the HEB in Pearland didn't do that. or at least not on the things I was looking at. they were more expensive than other HEBs. maybe they did it on just the pricey items? that I couldn't say. however if they did discount pricer items they were sure getting it back on other items they increased the prices on.

I mean I know HEB sausage tends to be better health-wise (not by much, true) but I don't get it being one of the most expensive brands in their stores. and it was a good .20 cents more at the Pearland one when it opened. knick-knack that all over the store and I'm sure they made up any actual discounts that existed.

It's pretty common for retailers to run promos when they first open to increase foot traffic

Old 11-08-2014, 02:44 PM

200 posts, read 297,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonamd View Post
ahhh, too me that is Dickinson so I would never have considered it but I guess technically that is League City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Well the Pasadena HEB definitely nailed down the market if you look at their beer selection. Basically they have nothing but Budweiser, Miller, some crappy local light beer and big-name Mexican. Very noticeable coming from Clear Lake, where a large craft brew selection and a "pick 6" option is standard. Even Food Town and some convenience stores have some selection.
ha! very true statement! I was soo thinking that about the craft beers and pick 6 selection at the Clear Lake HEB when I was typing about the beer and wine selection in the Friendswood HEB but didn't type it. I think Friendswood has the pick 6 option of craft brews also if I remember correctly.

Pasadena HEB does have quite a few wines in that one aisle I will say. whether they are good or not I don't know and I didn't find any unique items of the type I would look for. at least Pasadena HEB has those ham steaks though! when you just want something breakfasty or easy to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston