Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:01 AM

1 posts, read 6,021 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide me with information about them and the surrounding area?

I went by there and noticed that there will be some new shopping centers and buildings coming to that area. Not so sure about any major changes, though. I'm fairly new to Houston, so any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 07:22 AM

228 posts, read 1,000,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18rabbit View Post
Can anyone provide me with information about them and the surrounding area?

I went by there and noticed that there will be some new shopping centers and buildings coming to that area. Not so sure about any major changes, though. I'm fairly new to Houston, so any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
My son just put down a deposit on a lot to build there...did you find out anything? We live in Imperial Oaks across Rayford..and so far the people Ive talk to say favorable things...

Old 03-30-2009, 11:18 AM

967 posts, read 2,609,081 times
I have a friend that bought there 18 mos ago. She and her family really like it and the house is nice, considering the price. The elementary school is supposed to be excellent.

Normally I am not a fan of buying brand new at that price range, under $130K, (you would have gotten a maxed out house in my old 30yr established neighborhood) but their house is pretty nice, and their neighbors maintain their homes and lawns nicely too.

Get a good inspector! , at that price, expect shortcuts, I have heard not great things about the builder online (also known as Postwood, Ashwood, Pride Builders to name a few.

A site with some concerns... ashwoodbuilders.com

So there you go, some good, some bad

Old 04-05-2009, 08:27 PM

17 posts, read 106,579 times
They're fairly small homes on small lots--if you've been out there, you know that. You also know that you have to pass through a neighborhood with larger lots, but no home owners association. So, some of those houses are nice and well-maintained, while some have cars up on blocks in the front yard. It's not a fantastic builder, but OK for the size home you're looking at in that price range. Conroe ISD is tops, but Ford Elementary (the school that area is zoned for) is a bit lacking. It is also a title 1 school, not that they means much, but it might to you. They are quite low priced for that area.

The good news is, overall it's a nice area. Imperial Oaks, Legend's Ranch, The Estates of Legends Ranch, Bender's Landing, and Spring Trails really bring up the area. I wouldn't necessarily rule out Legend's Trace either. There are good deals to be had in those areas too, especially on resale. The area's I'd avoid are Legend's Run and Fox Run. There are a few other areas that could go either way; time will tell.

You are about 10 minutes away from The Woodlands Mall, the movie theaters, Market Street, and many other major businesses. Signature Kroger is new and nice and close. There is a Starbucks inside Kroger's. Restaurants are popping up, but quality is TBD. You can get to anywhere you want quickly--including Houston. The Hardy Toll road is just a hop, skip and jump away.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:08 PM

So far we are pretty happy with it. All of the people we are meeting seem very nice and love it there. I think it will be just fine for the time they will be there. As far as the street that goes thru...It doesnt really bother me..I feel safe, so thats what matters most. For a starter home,I think it will do nicely..hopefully!!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:51 AM

17 posts, read 106,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotLib View Post
So far we are pretty happy with it. All of the people we are meeting seem very nice and love it there. I think it will be just fine for the time they will be there. As far as the street that goes thru...It doesnt really bother me..I feel safe, so thats what matters most. For a starter home,I think it will do nicely..hopefully!!
You said a couple of things that are key points "for the time they will be there" and "starter home".

Starter home means they will be moving, and who is going to buy there? That neighborhood can not keep its resale value up--that is why it is so much cheaper to purchase there in the first place--due to the other neighborhood it is surrounded by. I see a rental market there--no pride of ownership. Or low income--where people can't afford to keep up the home, or don't care. Of course, there are exceptions or that could be the exception--in the beginning. But it only takes one or two on your street to scare good owners off and bring in more of the other.

I think you are better off looking for a resale in Imperial Oaks (same price point), or looking at Legend's Trace. But it all depends on what gamble you want to take. If you are one of the first to move, you could come out just fine.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:38 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
These builders assume various names throughout the city and have a very questionable rating with the BBB. I would choose a more reputable builder.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:39 PM

Actually, we feel pretty good about it. Maybe will get burned in the end, but we all feel pretty good. We have lived in Imperial Oaks since '91, and my neighbor is the realtor, and I feel pretty confident that she would tell us her professional opinion about the neighborhood. But, in the 3 or so years its been there, I feel like the upkeep is just fine. We may end up sorry, that will be a life lesson my son will have to learn. Will just hope and pray for the best! Thanks for your opinions though! Dot

Old 04-09-2009, 11:54 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,385 times
Dot, I purchased a home in Forest Village that we closed on in early 2007. If your willing to give up the items that you'll find in a 'nicer' (more expensive) neighborhood then I think you'll be pleased with the house you get for the $. The homes are just as well built as a lot of the construction I've seen by many of the big name builders, exceping the finish materials, (appliances, cabinets, toilets, etc.) are fairly low grade unless you upgrade to more expensive items. And the lots are fairly tiny especially for the one story plans.

We had no issues with the house, my inspector found only a handful of items to adjust/fix and he is used to inspecting large custom (money is almost no object) homes and frequently has pages of areas/items that need attention. Thruout the last two years of living in the home, other than a few nail pops that were taken care of under the warranty we have had no problems.

For the Record I have only experience with this neighborhood, and I believe that the attentiveness of the superintendent and the sales person keeping the buyer informed and updated are the reasons this particular neighborhood/builder has been successful. I probably wouldn't buy from this builder elsewhere because of the things I've read online, however I was also perfectly willing to walk away from my 1,000 dollar earnest money if I didn't feel they were building a great house for me.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:47 PM

Fordlover! Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. My son feels the same way..if his inspector says its not right, he will walk away from his $1000 too. My son is pretty picky, so he will stay on top of things and be around about every day during the building.

Im glad to know you are not disappointed. They did upgrade some things, so hopefully they will have a good outcome. They are expecting their first baby in November, so they dont need that much space. The do have a one story, so the yard will be small, but they can live with that. Being so busy, not as much yard to have to keep up!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply..maybe we will meet you over in FV someday! They are building on Winton Wood (think thats the name). Dot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston