Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:56 AM

702 posts, read 1,235,433 times

Advertisements

If I worked there, I would like to live as near to my work as possible. That narrows it down to the Woodlands and a big iffy on Spring. Ideally no more than 5-10 minutes away. Worst case scenario, 15 minutes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 08:11 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
The smart thing to do is to avoid I-45

Old 11-17-2014, 08:35 AM

232 posts, read 462,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
People may suggest areas like Conroe to get a bit of separation. If you work at em and live in the woodlands then you see fellow employees everywhere. When you move too close it
May be all em 24/7, neighbors and all. Some people don't care for that.
EM employees are all over the greater Houston area, not just in The Woodlands. Haven't run into one EM employee and we've been in TW for over a year. I'm out at the different parks and grocery stores and we go out to eat all over TW and have yet to run into any EM employees.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:07 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,141,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Live near your work. Not downtown. Seriously, everyone says to live near your work until work is in a suburb. Then it's "live downtown and commute."
Lol, yes pretty ridiculous. I think its a good idea to live close to where you work if possible. If you're going to be working at the new Exxon campus and you can afford to live in the Woodlands, I don't see why you would live anywhere else. Taking on a unnecessary commute is stupid. You could always drive into the city on the weekends to do things inside the city. Living 'inside the Loop" i.e the Heights, midtown ,montrose, etc, is only practical if you work downtown or in Greenway plaza or Uptown. If you work way out in the suburbs it makes no since to live in the city.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:03 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockermom View Post
EM employees are all over the greater Houston area, not just in The Woodlands. Haven't run into one EM employee and we've been in TW for over a year. I'm out at the different parks and grocery stores and we go out to eat all over TW and have yet to run into any EM employees.
Yes and I'm just saying that may be one reason people refer others farther out because they don't want to run the risk of it whether it actually happens or not.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:15 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockermom View Post
Yes and I'm just saying that may be one reason people refer others farther out because they don't want to run the risk of it whether it actually happens or not. Those who refer further away may have a preference to live further from the office.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:43 PM

232 posts, read 462,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by still_waiting View Post
Thanks guys so far. Holy wow, Grand Parkway is, well GRAND. I just saw it overlaid on GoogleMaps. What I'm getting from you all is that if a person were buying now the Woodlands would be a good choice, but that if one were to wait some of the proposed MPCs would be a nice option. Taking the second option in mind, how is the house rental market in the Spring and Woodland areas. Also is Conroe not a viable option, at least in y'all eyes? Thanks people for the insights.
There are a lot of rentals available in TW right now. The housing market in TW has slowed significantly (e.g. price reductions and houses sitting on the market much longer). There are also more options in terms of shorter term leases (e.g. six months) if one wants to rent short term while figuring out the area and determining where to live. Just go to HAR.com and look for Residential Lease.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:14 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I'm in the Sawyer Heights area and I know 4 XOM households that have moved near me in the last two years. They all work in the Woodlands, a couple may not be there 5 days a week though. One works in Baytown.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:21 PM

101 posts, read 118,457 times
Falls at Imperial Oaks is a nice David Weekley community and a little less expensive than Woodlands proper.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:57 PM

30 posts, read 48,393 times
My husband is an XOM employee, but instead of getting relocated to the new campus he's stuck in Baytown for some time. Because my office is going to be in The Woodlands proper, we've chosen Fall Creek as a go-between. From Fall Creek the commute is reportedly 35 minutes or so, provided you take the hardy toll rd. 45 is a non-attempt for me.

Once he's in The Woodlands full time (who knows how long that will take?) I still don't see us moving up there, just because our son will be in elementary and we'll have child care for the other one near Fall Creek. Maybe that will change, but the neigborhoods I looked at in Spring and The Woodlands are all getting a little out of control. Fall Creek seems like the more affordable option and hopefully the commute will stay ok for a while.

We briefly considered living in town, but I think that only makes sense if you're trying to split a commute. Garden Oaks to the new campus is at least 45 minutes, and it's hard to get to the hardy toll from GO in the morning without hitting traffic. Due to school issues and very high housing costs there it really became a no-go fo rus qutie quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston