U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 03:07 PM

203 posts, read 256,369 times

Advertisements

Bellaire and Hillcroft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 05:54 PM

8,260 posts, read 9,561,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
You are right,
that's why I don't understand why it bothers anybody if somebody chooses to scrub toilets for the rest of their life

Same people that claim to love freedom, don't like it when people don't think like them

Because they would be the main ones whining about how they only make minimum wage and that its not enough to live on and that they "deserve" $15.00 an hour.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:42 PM
NTT

719 posts, read 1,605,004 times
I see that my original post was deleted. Apparantely, some of you have misunderstood its intention. It is not about racism, politics or multiple cultures in one country. In fact, diversity is good and beneficial to all of us. It allows us to learn and adapt more to one another.

To become a US Citizen, yes, there are some exceptions or bend to the rules to accomodate the elderly and the loyal immigrants. Take a look at the rules for the age and years living in the US in order to be exempt (Exceptions & Accommodations | USCIS). Look how long one must reside in the US or how old one must be in order to be exempt. Nevertheless, these are exceptions only. The main language that it requires to pass the main test is still English for those that aren't exempt.

When it comes to speaking in many languages, it's very simple. One tongue (language) = unity = one nation. Multiple tongues = disunity = multiple nations.

Those of you that have read or have knowledge of the Bible, a great example of this was the story told in the book of Genesis, the Tower of Babel.

This has nothing to do with "freedom of speech", the way our forefathers intended it for when the US Constitution was written. Within our own family and friends, we can speak in our native language as freely as we'd like. However, when it's dealing with businesses, politics and education within 1 country, we should speak in 1 tongue because that's what build up our society and in turn, our nation. It's reasonable to believe that our forefathers didn't intend to divide the nation.

How can we be of help to build a strong nation if we all speak in different tongues?

I'm a foreigner at birth, my family and I chose to reside in the US where English is the main spoken language. We simply accepted it in order to blend in with the community and not separating ourselves from the people we live within.

Again, my message was simply to try to encourage the OP to live among the community instead of separating him/her/them/self from it. It is related to the subject title of this thread. Otherwise, most comments in this thread should be deleted as well.

Last edited by NTT; 11-19-2014 at 09:00 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 07:20 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,707,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
It's the same reason why some get offended if someone asked for an English only community.
I don't know about everybody else.... but that doesn't offend me or anything else similar.
I'd gladly help anybody asking anything like that, because usually it means that they are gonna live really far from me.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:52 PM

1,453 posts, read 1,869,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't know about everybody else.... but that doesn't offend me or anything else similar.
I'd gladly help anybody asking anything like that, because usually it means that they are gonna live really far from me.
Ha! We agree on something!

Old 11-30-2014, 01:36 AM

4,549 posts, read 8,268,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTxn View Post
He's referring to the city of South Houston which is mainly hispanic.
The City of South Houston is southeast of Downtown Houston and is very small (16,983 people).

Old 11-30-2014, 03:52 AM

28 posts, read 23,284 times
Aldine is pretty close. It's only 3% white and most blacks live west of I-45 and north of the Beltway. If you drive down Airline on the weekends near Gulf Bank it is literally like being in Mexico. Aldine ISD has done well teaching the children English, but don't expect much English from the adults over here.

The migration started in the late 80s as residents continued to move to mainly to Spring, Klein and Tomball. By the early 2000s Hispanics became the majority. Traffic is insane over there!

Old 11-30-2014, 08:14 AM

189 posts, read 170,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman21 View Post
Aldine is pretty close. It's only 3% white and most blacks live west of I-45 and north of the Beltway. If you drive down Airline on the weekends near Gulf Bank it is literally like being in Mexico. Aldine ISD has done well teaching the children English, but don't expect much English from the adults over here.

The migration started in the late 80s as residents continued to move to mainly to Spring, Klein and Tomball. By the early 2000s Hispanics became the majority. Traffic is insane over there!
Yes, the 77037 area was shocking culturally at first, and I live and grew up in 77087 which is predominately a hispanic area. 59 north and Aldine Mail heading west is all hispanic as stated too. If Spanish is your primary and only language, for the most part you will not have any trouble communitcating, especially in the areas mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or