Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:04 PM

34 posts, read 158,138 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband will be working near Johnson Space Center starting in the Summer. He said when he was out there at that most of the employees lived nearby? Where nearby? Is Friendswood considered nearby? Is Pearland?

Also, I just read the post about bugs and flying cockroaches. I don't do bugs well at all, ecspecially cockroaches!!! EWWWWWWWWW and ones that fly at you? Oh god, I think I'd be sick!

So, where do I go to avoid a massive bug overload? I'm to anal retentive in cleaning to deal with cockroaches.

I was thinking of West Ranch in Friendswood?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 07:09 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Bugs are just a part of the humid climate .. you'll be fine. Exterminate and you won't have any problems. People live in Clear Lake, Seabrook, League City, Kemah, Friendswood, Pasadena (the Clear Lake side of town), Pearland. Pearland would be the furthest. If you live in the older section of Pearland (nearest Friendswood) the commute and lights wouldn't be too bad.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Bugs are just a part of the humid climate .. you'll be fine. Exterminate and you won't have any problems. People live in Clear Lake, Seabrook, League City, Kemah, Friendswood, Pasadena (the Clear Lake side of town), Pearland. Pearland would be the furthest. If you live in the older section of Pearland (nearest Friendswood) the commute and lights wouldn't be too bad.

What area of Clear Lake and League City are good? with good schools? and I'm a bit worried about the flooding? We are looking for a house in the 400k-475k range. I looked at Bay Oaks online and found the houses to be older? What other subdivisions are more upscale and newer?

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:17 PM

48 posts, read 228,642 times
Check out Tuscan Lakes make Sure you move on the CCISD side thats the good school district

Old 01-02-2008, 08:42 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Bay Oaks although older is a very nice, affluent neighborhood. The high school - Clear Lake H.S. is in CCISD. I would not move to an area that goes to Clearbrook H.S. But it sounds like the prices and areas you are looking at would mostly all be in CCISD.

Sellers must disclose if a home has flooded, you can also look at the flood maps and check with the neighbors. I don't believe Bay Oaks has ever flooded. Tuscan Lakes is a newer area so not sure what it would do in a flood but I would imagine they've built on higher ground as well, you'd have to investigate.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:57 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desai216 View Post
Also, I just read the post about bugs and flying cockroaches. I don't do bugs well at all, ecspecially cockroaches!!! EWWWWWWWWW and ones that fly at you? Oh god, I think I'd be sick!
This is very exaggerated and overblown. However scared of those bugs you are, they are twice as scared of you and they are not going to willingly "fly" into you. They don't really "fly" as much as glide. They also don't typically go indoors. I have only seen two of these indoors and I grew up here.

I really don't know what else to say. This was a swamp before it was a city and now it's just a swamp covered with concrete. At least we don't have scorpions (or at least I've never seen one here)

Old 01-04-2008, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the responses!

Any other NASA employees.......or anyone that lives in Tuscan Lakes?

Old 01-04-2008, 05:04 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Just wanted to respond to the comment about Bay Oaks being ''older.'' It's ''mid-90s older.'' Old/new is always a relative term anyway.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:57 PM

Older....wasn't meant in a bad way! I am looking for something that is built in the last 5 years. Sorry, no offense meant!

Old 01-05-2008, 10:41 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
No offense taken. I will say these 10-15 yr old houses around Clear Lake are mostly built quite solidly, even in the $200k range. I know a lot of people would rather live in a house that hasn't lived in before, but if you can find one that has been taken care of, it stands a chance of holding up better than a newer one. I guess it all just depends on what you're looking for and how long you're wanting to stay.

PS - Have fun with those property taxes around here on a $475k home!

(extra $1100ish per month avg)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston