Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 07:49 AM

914 posts, read 1,831,815 times

Advertisements

If you want anything other than chain restaurants such as Chilis or mediocre mom and pop restaurants, you will have to go into Houston or Kingwood or to the 59 and 1960 area. There is one excellent French restaurant in Humble, Chez Nous. If you expect movie theaters and entertainment options, you will also have to go up to the Deerbrook Mall area or to Kingwood. There is a Gold's Gym at Wilson Road. Wal Mart is the most popular place in that area. The closest decent grocery is the HEB in Summerwood. There is no Whole Foods, Trader Joe's etc.anywhere nearby.

If you are expecting bars like you find downtown or in mid town you will be sorely disappointed. Most folks in that area move there because that is where they can get the most house for their money. They are into kids and family activities. Most restaurants are kid friendly with lots of kids present. I suggest you try out the commute on a weekday around 7 a.m.in and about 6 p.m. out of town for a sample of the commute times. Go to a local restaurant such as Chilis or Rising Sun sushi on a Friday to Saturday night. That will give you a true picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 07:55 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKennedy View Post
If you want anything other than chain restaurants such as Chilis or mediocre mom and pop restaurants, you will have to go into Houston or Kingwood or to the 59 and 1960 area. There is one excellent French restaurant in Humble, Chez Nous. If you expect movie theaters and entertainment options, you will also have to go up to the Deerbrook Mall area or to Kingwood. There is a Gold's Gym at Wilson Road. Wal Mart is the most popular place in that area. The closest decent grocery is the HEB in Summerwood. There is no Whole Foods, Trader Joe's etc.anywhere nearby.

If you are expecting bars like you find downtown or in mid town you will be sorely disappointed. Most folks in that area move there because that is where they can get the most house for their money. They are into kids and family activities. Most restaurants are kid friendly with lots of kids present. I suggest you try out the commute on a weekday around 7 a.m.in and about 6 p.m. out of town for a sample of the commute times. Go to a local restaurant such as Chilis or Rising Sun sushi on a Friday to Saturday night. That will give you a true picture.
Living in Fall Creek will give him the best of both worlds....living in FS he could get off work and sill enjoy the inner loop. I live in Katy, once I make it back home from work I'm too worn/tired to drive back into town for a rockets game...we've giving away many game tickets because of this lol

Old 11-25-2014, 08:08 AM

71 posts, read 101,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _firsttimebuyer View Post
For example, because we live in midtown, I can come back from work at 6 on weekdays and then still be able to go to a Rockets game in Toyota Center, it also gives us the time and opportunity to have an impromptu date night on weekdays. It would be nice to know if we have to give up some of those lifestyles (I hope I made sense, sounded alright to me in my head)
I was in a similar situation and the answer is definitely YES.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:03 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
I live out in the Huffman/Crosby area, and the only "problem" going downtown on a Friday or Saturday night is finding a sitter. The drive to get down there during the evening from my location or from Humble isn't really an issue IMHO. I'm guessing that you're talking about a 30 minute car drive at the most from the driveway of a house in that neighborhood until you're on downtown streets if you leave at 7 pm.

If you like to go ITL a couple or more times a week, it might be an issue, but for going once a week, no big deal.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:08 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,730,475 times
There will not be too many random date nights out on the town when you commuted 40 minutes home and face a 30 minute drive back into town then 30 minutes home again.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:56 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_ut View Post
There will not be too many random date nights out on the town when you commuted 40 minutes home and face a 30 minute drive back into town then 30 minutes home again.
Old people

Old 12-01-2014, 05:12 PM

8 posts, read 12,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _firsttimebuyer View Post
I goto work near IAH and my wife goes to school in UofH. After scouting many locations, we have decided Humble might be the location that would work best for us. We saw a couple of properties in Park Lakes community in Humble, that we fell in love with. I have read many a posts from this forum (old ones) about Humble, yet I cant seem to make up my mind about how safe/good the community is.

We are an young couple with active lifestyle. Kids are not a concern as of now (only after three years). I would love to hear from you all about your comments/thoughts on Humble/CanyonGates/Park lakes area.

Thanks
_firstTimeBuyer

We've lived in Park Lakes for nearly three years and it's been a great choice. My partner and I both work downtown/downtown adjacent and it's a really nice commute compared to 45 or 290. Everyone has their own opinion of the area and honestly the worst part is the Walmart. It's the closest one to the more "undesirable" areas of 59N (East Aldine, Homestead, etc), so people living in those areas flock to the BW8 & Wilson Walmart to shop. The community is beautiful and maintained rather nicely. HOA is constantly making improvements to the community to fulfill the residents needs (they've placed sidewalks and pushed for a traffic light by the elementary school). The restaurants out here are no comparison to the ones "in-the-loop," but you're a short 15-20min drive to downtown, so it's not too big of a deal. As for lifestyle; your lifestyle won't change. We're constantly dining, shopping or bar hopping "in-the-loop." We're usually in the theater district catching shows as well. If you don't mind a short drive, you'll be fine. I read some people telling you to move to Fall Creek. While FC is a bigger community and more desirable by some; their HOA fees and home prices are much higher than the ones in PL. You get more bang for your buck in Park Lakes, at least in my opinion. Hope this helps!

Old 12-02-2014, 07:01 AM

672 posts, read 846,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by native_houstonian View Post
We've lived in Park Lakes for nearly three years and it's been a great choice. My partner and I both work downtown/downtown adjacent and it's a really nice commute compared to 45 or 290. Everyone has their own opinion of the area and honestly the worst part is the Walmart. It's the closest one to the more "undesirable" areas of 59N (East Aldine, Homestead, etc), so people living in those areas flock to the BW8 & Wilson Walmart to shop. The community is beautiful and maintained rather nicely. HOA is constantly making improvements to the community to fulfill the residents needs (they've placed sidewalks and pushed for a traffic light by the elementary school). The restaurants out here are no comparison to the ones "in-the-loop," but you're a short 15-20min drive to downtown, so it's not too big of a deal. As for lifestyle; your lifestyle won't change. We're constantly dining, shopping or bar hopping "in-the-loop." We're usually in the theater district catching shows as well. If you don't mind a short drive, you'll be fine. I read some people telling you to move to Fall Creek. While FC is a bigger community and more desirable by some; their HOA fees and home prices are much higher than the ones in PL. You get more bang for your buck in Park Lakes, at least in my opinion. Hope this helps!
Hi NH...as far as the dumpster goes, do you smell it during those muggy humid days? We moved from NY and are renting a house in Atascocita near Eagle Springs, but we plan on buying our own home within the next year. We liked the gated area of Canyon, but my wifes and I hangups were the with dumpster, and the trailer park across the street. Our first choice for now is Atascocita Forest, but we definitely liked Canyon.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:46 AM

8 posts, read 12,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
Hi NH...as far as the dumpster goes, do you smell it during those muggy humid days? We moved from NY and are renting a house in Atascocita near Eagle Springs, but we plan on buying our own home within the next year. We liked the gated area of Canyon, but my wifes and I hangups were the with dumpster, and the trailer park across the street. Our first choice for now is Atascocita Forest, but we definitely liked Canyon.
Hey Prey521, I get a whiff of it every once in a while to be honest, but my nose is SUPER sensitive and I smell EVERYTHING! It doesn't bother me too much because it isn't a daily occurrence. We have friends in Fall Creek who said they get whiffs of it from their homes, but it doesn't really seem to bother them. I guess it comes with living close to a disposal site. As for the trailer park, keep in mind of what Humble used to be prior to becoming suburbia. FC also has a trailer park adjacent to it, but I personally have never experienced any problems from the residents living in those communities nor do I know do anyone who has. It's a really good community with great homes, but I can see how those two subjects can strike a concern. Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston