Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 6,107 times

Advertisements

First of all, I like to thank those of who have kindly offer their knowledge and opinions on this very helpful forum. I know many out of town folks like myself appreciate that very much.

With that said, I would like to ask for your suggestions and opinions..........
Our family will be moving to Houston this summer (around July 08) from Canada and so looking forward to the nice, warm weather that we've heard so much about. Anyway, my wife will be working in 77040 area(on Guhn rd, just on w Tidwell and south of 290) and I will be in 77013 area(oates rd and wallisville rd, just east side of 610 and 90). We have a 7 year old daughter and looking for a good public school for her to attend. After many months of search on the internet, I came to the conclusion of Jersey Village might be the answer. I wanted to be close to my wife's work and a decent school for our child, as for myself I guess that I have to put up with the commute. Can anyone suggest any other area that will work best for our family considering school for our child and commute for both of us.

Thanks..........................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 03:40 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,979 times
Jersey Village is nice, but you might want to go a little further back west and consider Cy Fair. It will add a little to your commute time, but it's still in the general 290 area and there's lot of great schools and neighborhoods out there.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:53 PM

657 posts, read 2,544,979 times
Wait a minute, scratch that. I just looked up 77013. That's way out to the east. I'm going to say forget 290 entirely. The Heights would be a good choice commute wise, but it can be expensive. I just don't think I'd want to be doing Jersey Village to east of the loop every day. 290 and the 610 loop can be brutal. Maybe someone that lives out there has a better suggestion.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:54 PM

214 posts, read 473,970 times
The Woodlands in Spring Tx is a nice area from what I remember from y visit there . But if you don't speak spanish, better learn it . Texas is now called little mexico. Houston is full of crime . Especially since the Katrina refugees moved in . Just the messenger , I didn't invent the facts .

Old 01-03-2008, 04:02 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
GA Peach -- Really - native Houstonian here and I have never heard Texas called "Little Mexico" here in town, must be by those who live elsewhere. Yes we do have a lot of crime (and spread all over town with some areas more of a hub than others) and it did increase with Katrina but there are also other crimes going on not associated with that influx of residents - interestingly enough, news reports just reported that Dallas had a bigger increase in crime last year than we did. Many visitors to this forum often report that for a major city - Houston's crime isn't bad compared to many major cities on the East Coast.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:39 PM

410 posts, read 1,682,202 times
Qstar1000...

No matter how you look at it, you will have a horrible commute. With that in mind check out "Coles Crossing " off 290 & Barker Cypress. I realize it is much further out than "Jersey Village" but it is a planned community with Sampson Elementary School in the neighborhood and close to shopping. Sampson was rated "exemplary". Good luck...

Old 01-03-2008, 08:13 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
qstarr - are you looking for a private school for your child or are you wanting a very good public school? If so, you tend to have to move out a bit to get the good schools.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,107 times
texas7, we are looking for a good public school. What other area that I should be looking at?

Thanks.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:04 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
GA Peach -- Really - native Houstonian here and I have never heard Texas called "Little Mexico" here in town, must be by those who live elsewhere.

That's a fairly true statement, but it sounds like something a xenophobic non-Texan would say. Draw a line from El Paso to Austin to the Houston metro and you basically have NE Mexico. Growing up I lived in Georgia for a little while, and from what I do remember, I'd much rather my future children grow up in Texas any day over GA. NE Mexico or not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston