Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2014, 12:46 PM

913 posts, read 4,342,668 times

Advertisements

I asked this question here about 2 years ago. No one really knew. So I ask again, hoping that the "landscape" has changed and more people starting to look for alternatives to Obamacare/medical insurance plans, that become ever more and more expensive.

Does anyone know or use "direct pay" plans or "share cost" medical funds/co-ops in Houston?

"direct pay" - is when you have an service agreement directly with your local physician. No middle man (aka insurance provider). You pay him cash, he charges much lower. No inflated bullsh*t bills, no gimmicks. It actually how it used to be in the good ol' US of A just 70 years ago.

A good successful example of this approach is a (Surgery Center of Oklahoma) Surgery Center Oklahoma. They are so competitive, they are not ashamed of publishing their prices online!

shared cost - is when a group of people create a "rainy day fund" to pay for medical services of each other. Again, no middle man here like the government or insurance companies. You get exactly what you pay for. AFAIK, with this plan one does not have to pay Obamacare.
A good example that this worlks is a (Liberty health Share) Liberty Health share.

Do we have anything similar here in Houston?
Do you know any providers with similar plans in Harris or Fort Bend county?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2014, 01:06 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,770,520 times
Search "Concierge medicine" in Houston. I think you will find what you are looking for.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:05 PM

913 posts, read 4,342,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL_PWR View Post
Search "Concierge medicine" in Houston. I think you will find what you are looking for.
Thanks! Looking at their packages, I can't say I am impressed:

===========
Health Packages

Comprehensive physical exam
Comprehensive blood panel
EKG
Personal conusltation with a registered nutritionist
Personalized grocery shopping session
Acupuncture
HydraFacial® MD treatment

At Houston Concierge Medicine & Wellness Center we offer health packages that emphasize preventive measures and proactive care to keep you healthy and happy. Our customer service experts will help answer any questions you may have regarding your cost.

Total Health Package
Ultimate Health Package
Comprehensive physical exam
Comprehensive blood panel
EKG
Personalized consultation with a registered nutritionist
Personalized grocery shopping session
Spectracell micronutrient testing and vitamin panel
Acupuncture Consultation & Treatment

Introductory Wellness Package
Personalized consultation with a registered nutritionist
Acupuncture

Old 12-01-2014, 09:09 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,237 times
I don't necessarily think cheap is good in healthcare. Most good doctors want to be paid a good salary and the cost of good and sterile equipment is not cheap. I'd be leery of a cheap direct plan. Insurance is a middleman and yes, they do make a profit out of it, but just like car insurance, you pay because you need them in case you run up a very expensive bill.
If you're healthy, try looking into and Health Savings Account (HSA) and catastrophic health insurance plan. HSA allows you to accumulate pretax dollar, no expiration unlike a Flex account. The premiums are lower but you pay more out of pocket....again, this is for healthy people who rarely need to see the doctor.

Old 12-02-2014, 06:40 AM

264 posts, read 441,677 times
There is a group that went the concierge route headed by Dr. Rebecca Clearman. We saw an MD in this group over a dozen years ago before they used this format. At that time they used an hourly rate format. One of the best MD experiences we ever had. The MD that we saw left TX and I think went overseas.

You can Google them and inquire about their rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston