Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 06:25 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Houston
You mean the one that we're just here discussing about how crowded and expensive it's become?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 06:55 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You mean the one that we're just here discussing about how crowded and expensive it's become?
I'm sure it's getting crowded now. But it's still relatively low cost. If it gets any higher I doubt it would be worth the trouble

Old 12-17-2014, 06:56 PM

370 posts, read 612,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0825spring View Post
Got that right! I was raised in Texas, graduated from college in Texas and this is second time around living in Houston. Between the high rent, overpriced houses, traffic, heat, humidity, lack of public transportation, poor quality of life, lack of outdoor activities (outside of going to a big park with a lot of other people), bigotry, narrow minds and rude drivers I truly don't understand the appeal in living here other than work. People simply exist here and live to work. How many people do you see with a big smile on their face in the grocery stores, malls or just in general? I see a lot of glum, unhappy people stuck with house payment, hefty car payments, credit card bills, etc. to appear to have it "all."

I miss working with people who actually enjoy their lives and come in Monday refreshed with tales of adventuresome weekends. Driving beat up jeeps, 4 wheel drives, wearing old keens but enjoying the hell out of life. Ah, but Houston is the best place to live in the entire world don't y'all know.

P.S. Yes, I am working on my exit plan. I refuse to just exist. Life is too short.

Not sure where you're located here, but I feel like you see things like that in almost every major metro. I guess It's the price you pay for job security. Your paycheck goes farther than any other major metropolitan. some of the best food in the country. Ethnic diversity you can enjoy.. for someone who has travelled, I just can't stop mentioning how much I like Houston's diversity. You will make friends with some of the realest here. The nightlife and outdoors'y activities are great too. imo I think it's one of the best cities in the US to settle down in. Despite the weather, I love everything about it (even that is 5 months of heat, Oct - May it's great)

Old 12-17-2014, 07:09 PM

370 posts, read 612,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
What's so great about diversity?
I'm assuming you believe that ignorance is bliss?

Old 12-17-2014, 08:44 PM

87 posts, read 117,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
Lol, where'd you used to live? I def try to make the best of it here but I Prob could've written almost exactly what you did. Went to the grocery store the other day and also share those same thoughts. People love Livin to work but most don't even realize it being unusual.

Rents will level off though.
We've lived in Dallas, Denver, Santa Fe, Anchorage, Uzbekistan, London, Mumbai and Johannesburg. We've also travelled to every major city in the US and 34 countries so have much to compare Houston life. It really is a lot different than other places.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
You have to be tough to live in Houston. It isn't a place for wimpy people, that's for damn sure.

The ugliness, pollution, ass hole drivers, and incredible heat builds character.
Oh, we're far from wimps. Try living in the middle of the dessert in Uzbekistan, Mumbai or Anchorage.

I disagree, Houston is a perfect place for wimps who just want to sit back and watch life pass them by....content in their big houses, cars, shopping malls and plethora of restaurants. It's a cushy life for people who just want to appear important. The majority at least.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjones200 View Post
What part of town do you live in? I really can't comprehend your opinion of Texas (I assume Houston specifically). It appears you live in the more pretentious areas of town where everyone there is trying to prove something. They over extended themselves to have the biggest house, the nicest cars, the most expensive accessories (Keeping up with Joneses comes to mind). So yes they will have glum looks on their face in the grocery store when they have to decide between getting groceries or making expensive car payments. My home purchasing budget maxed out at $450K, but we chose a home for $250K which would allow us to have more "free" money for a better life. I didn't want to work to live. Many people these day fall into the work to live category, but that is by their own doing. People need to lean to live within or below their means.

My career has afforded many opportunities to travel both domestically and internationally. I've been to many countries and cites. I feel Houston is a one stop shop for experiencing life. There is so much to here. I'm a cyclist, so I love riding my bike through country roads country socializing with my fellow cyclist. Heading down to Galveston for some fun and sun with my son and wife (I do admit the water isn't the prettiest). Experiencing the many international cuisines here. Getting tickets to sporting events, specialtly events (i.e rodeo), and comedies shows. Playing golf at my neighborhood's golf course. Fishing in the many lakes and bayous here. When we have access to babysitter, we head inside the loop for some drinking, socializing, and good cigars. We like driving to Austin to visit friends, driving to San Antonio for some amazing amusement parks. Heading to the range to sharpen up shooting skills. Living a practical life allows us to take major family vacations every year and smaller stay-cations throughout the year. We went to Israel (before things got crazy there) this year and we are headed to Belize in spring of 2015.

Just to give some perspective, I was born, raised, and still live in Houston. I'm 31 now and have yet to find a dull moment here in Houston. If you saw me in the grocery store, I would have a smile on my face and point you in the direction to get a great deal on some rib eye steaks .
You're born and bred in Houston. Travelling for work or pleasure doesn't really count for understanding how great life can be outside of Houston and Texas. I'm glad you are happy here. By the way, I live on the edge of The Heights in a non-inclusive area. I think it is one of the friendliest and down to earth parts of the city.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:56 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0825spring View Post
Oh, we're far from wimps. Try living in the middle of the dessert in Uzbekistan, Mumbai or Anchorage.

I disagree, Houston is a perfect place for wimps who just want to sit back and watch life pass them by....content in their big houses, cars, shopping malls and plethora of restaurants. It's a cushy life for people who just want to appear important. The majority at least.
Houston is regarded as one of the most "indoor" cities in the world. Most cities can bear their weather enough to have outdoor stadiums. Even Miami, which has more humid weather than Houston, has an outdoor pro football stadium.

Houston is a great place for people that want a decent job, cheap living, good food, but they lack depth and character.

If and when the price of oil tanks even more and the economy of Houston falters, people will be running for the hills as soon as possible.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:51 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Wow, Houston is the Dubai of the US.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:39 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Houston is regarded as one of the most "indoor" cities in the world. Most cities can bear their weather enough to have outdoor stadiums. Even Miami, which has more humid weather than Houston, has an outdoor pro football stadium.

Houston is a great place for people that want a decent job, cheap living, good food, but they lack depth and character.

If and when the price of oil tanks even more and the economy of Houston falters, people will be running for the hills as soon as possible.
Hmm..."the hills" as in "hill country" as in and around Austin area? That means they will be running your way. Good, traffic should lighten up around here then. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston