U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 07:03 AM

8,658 posts, read 16,857,040 times

Advertisements

The only thing I don't understand about these incidents is why is it so hard for people to just do as they are told. What part of stay in the car isn't understood? Why can't people just sit still and wait and do as they are told instead of digging around the car ? Most of these shootings are avoidable if people would learn to do as told. I taught my kids that when a police officer pulls you over, they have no idea if you are mr great citizen or mr I just robbed someone and they approach with caution until you are investigated. Just to do as they say and sit with your hands and arms visible until they instruct further. Please don't turn this into a racist thread. What do you personally do when pulled over on a traffic stop? Do you get out of your car or wait for the officer to come to your window? Do you already have license in hand or are digging around for it before the officer tells you to? Do you announce your moves? I.e, okay I'm going to (or can I get) get my license or wallet now? How do you respond personally?

2 HPD officers shoot man multiple times in southwest Houston | abc13.com

Last edited by texas7; 12-13-2014 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 07:44 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,338,293 times
It's call suicide by police...
The consequence of dumb action...

Old 12-13-2014, 07:48 AM

Right, but are people really that dumb are is it a disregard for authority like I don't have to do what you say, a sense of invincibility -- like I don't have to listen and nothing will happen to me? I read these stories and most, not all, seem avoidable.

Old 12-13-2014, 08:15 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,338,293 times
Texas7
It's all avoidable. All of these shootings are avoidable. i don't know the answer, I wouldn't want to speculate.
Travon was avoidable
Brown was avoidable
That big guy in NYC was avoidable.

Check out the movie Fruitvale. Base on a real event. It's all the same action that gets these people kill.

They just don't get it...

Last edited by Chris V; 12-13-2014 at 08:36 AM..

Old 12-13-2014, 09:04 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,551,577 times
I think the point is that we are not in Baghdad, we are not enemy combatants. Disobeying an order doesn't deserve the death penalty and the question of excessive force is always asked. They'll do a preliminary investigation to see if procedure was followed.

What I don't get is why do you people automatically take the cops side? You guys say don't make this a racial thing but it's almost as if you guys take a knee jerk reaction when a black guy gets shot by a cop. It's always, "act like a thug, get shot", "disobey a cop, deserve to get shot".

Old 12-13-2014, 09:38 AM

It's anyone, not just thugs. All races have their thugs. It's not a police state but at the same time that officer doesn't know what he's rolling up on, so a request to remain in a vehicle or to keep your hands in sight is not unreasonable. Most criminals are caught in random traffic stops. That officer doesn't deserve to get shot just trying to do his or her job either. A request or order to stay in a vehicle while plates are run or to keep hands in sight with no sudden movement should protect both the officer and the person in the vehicle. Don't be reaching for your stuff until asked and announce what you're doing when you do. They have their job to do and when people get crazy, don't listen and comply - it sets up a bad situation for both parties. So let's say the officer pulls over a suspect in a routine stop who may have just burglarized your home and pistol whipped you in the process, he doesn't comply but the officer says hey it's okay, go ahead and keep driving or shoot me because I'm afraid to give you an order to sit still while I run your plates. It's a difficult situation to be in.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:51 AM

They're trained to handle difficult situations. And whenever I bring up race I usually get even more frightened by the responses you people come up with. I know a lot of you aren't racist but you're quick to judge anyone of any race as a no good thug. If they look ghetto, regardless of race, then most of the time they're up to no good and deserve to get shot if they disobey the law in the slightest degree. So what's scarier is that it's mostly a class thing, with minorities making up the bulk of the lower class.

Its upper middle class people defending cops who protect them from the "scum" in the lower class. At very incident there's always a comment that goes, "one less thug on the street".

Old 12-13-2014, 10:02 AM

I will admit if you have committed a crime and violated the rights of someone else that no I don't care what happens to you because you chose a to be a criminal and all that goes with that. I'm concerned about innocent people who meet an unnecessarily tragic end just because they can't follow simple rules and be out out for a few minutes. That concerns me. Most requests aren't unreasonable just a bit of an inconvenience or insult. I save my meltdown until after the officer rolls away if I've been stopped. I pound my steering wheel say choice words and get over the inconvenience or insult of having been stopped after the officer has gone.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:24 AM

3,625 posts, read 1,565,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I will admit if you have committed a crime and violated the rights of someone else that no I don't care what happens to you because you chose a to be a criminal and all that goes with that. I'm concerned about innocent people who meet an unnecessarily tragic end just because they can't follow simple rules and be out out for a few minutes. That concerns me. Most requests aren't unreasonable just a bit of an inconvenience or insult. I save my meltdown until after the officer rolls away if I've been stopped. I pound my steering wheel say choice words and get over the inconvenience or insult of having been stopped after the officer has gone.

Police are trained to act in emergency situation but not common people . When there s a cop behind, any one is bound to get nervous. I am ok for shooting, but it should be to gain advantage but not for killing.

Old 12-13-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Police are trained to act in emergency situation but not common people . When there s a cop behind, any one is bound to get nervous. I am ok for shooting, but it should be to gain advantage but not for killing.
Exactly. Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or