Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 03:20 AM

113 posts, read 112,602 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

My name is Mattia and I am about to relocate to Houston in very few weeks for business purposes.
I will be travelling with my wife and will be staying in Houston for not more than 9 months.
I will be working on the West Side of the city, namely FM 529..
As my wife will be travelling to the University for taking language courses ( I have contacted Rice University and St Thomas University), we have decided to stay in the Galleria area namely UpTown as it seems to be a reasonable solution for us. Not too far from the office, as I'll be driving counter traffic (30 to 45 mins??), and also good for her as this is an area where you can find most of the things within walking distance. One note: she's not gonna have a car so that's why the Galleria area seems to be a good one. Moreover, she can gets into downtown or reach University with public transport.

Just yesterday I have stopped my company as they were signing a contract with the Dominion Post Oak at McRue Road. I have read some bad comments on this high rise building and wanted to know an opinion from you guys.

Moreover, any advices on where we can find similar solution (same type of buildings, price range) within the same area?

Finally, what o you think about MidTown/Downtown? is it too far for me to drive to work in the morning?

I have to advise the company by tomorrow on the final choice. THey have asked prices to Camden Post Oak and the new Broadstone (mid rises buildings) . Camden is too expensive while the Broadstone seems ok but we'd rather stay in a high rise building. I have read of other new buildings in the area like the 2929 Weslayan .

Any prompt feedback is very much appreciated.

Thank you everybody

Mattia

Last edited by screttiu; 12-14-2014 at 03:37 AM.. Reason: grammair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2014, 10:23 AM

guys please help!

Old 12-14-2014, 11:46 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,237,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screttiu View Post
guys please help!
Price range and # of bedrooms? I've heard good things about Fairmont San Felipe.

Old 12-14-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Price range and # of bedrooms? I've heard good things about Fairmont San Felipe.

this is going to be a corporate leasing so I only have a view on the daily rate the company is paying which is approx 110 dollars /day. All inclusive (Bills, Fully furnished..) fyi, with the Dominion the rate was referring to a 780 sqf 21st floor,with Wi-Fi all those stuff.
1 bedroom and possibly 700 750 sqf. I will look into that but we are looking for high rise preferably. What about the M5250?? It seems pretty nice.

Again, we were about to confirm the Dominion Post Oak but then I ended up reading some bad reviews .....

Last edited by screttiu; 12-14-2014 at 01:49 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 02:13 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,790,084 times
Just relax and make the best out of it. Few bad review don't mean the world is ending. Are you looking for a place with perfect reviews? Good luck with that. For 9 months just take it and leave with it mate.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:19 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,419,236 times
If you want to live in a high- or mid-rise, another option would be to rent in a condominium building that is mostly owner-occupied. For example, The Highland Tower or The Briarglen. The main advantage of those would be having neighbors who are predominantly quiet professional people (or retired) and who are more committed to maintaining the building as a nice place to live.

In contrast, rental properties tend to draw a younger crowd, with more folks who don't fall into the quiet or well-behaved categories.

I don't know what the bad reviews about The Dominion said, but I visited it once and ... well my impression was that a lot of the residents could be the party type -- i.e., noise at night and other bad behavior. The Montecito apartments nearby seem pretty nice and struck me as quieter. Also, I spent a month at the Alexan Post Oak (across from Camden Post Oak). It's a nice-looking complex, but not very well soundproofed. For example, I didn't appreciate being repeatedly awakened at 3 a.m. on work nights by the upstairs neighbor playing drums. Or, the residents who don't clean up after their dogs pooped in the stairwells. In any case, I know that these places and others in the area offer short-term corporate leases.

By the way, 2929 Weslayan won't be open for months, so that won't be an option for you.

Finally, I agree with the poster who recommended looking at Midtown. If your wife were commuting to Rice or St. Thomas without a car, that would be easier than from Galleria/Uptown.

Last edited by madrone2k; 12-14-2014 at 02:28 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 02:40 PM

ok guys..but what about commute to my office? is it affordable from midtown?
do you have any particular building in mind at midtown?? we'd like high rises, 1 bedroom ecc..and we only have few days ...

I agree with one of the comment above on the Dominion but I'd prefer to drive some miles more rather than have her too far from places..

so is the uptown area so bad? I was under the impression this is one of the best areas, what do you think about the M5250 nearby the Gallery? however I was suggested to look for midtown apartments as well..
last but not least it seems both these universities are relatively easy to reach in about 45 mins from the gallery area....am I wrong?

Last edited by screttiu; 12-14-2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old 12-14-2014, 04:53 PM

6,287 posts, read 7,492,947 times
Word to the OP remember the only people motivated to write reviews are those who have an axe to grind, people who are happy with their experiences usually don't bother to post reviews at all. With that said Midtown would be best for your wife.....

Old 12-15-2014, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serviceprotexas View Post
The galleria area is nice , but based on your comment " my wife does not have a car" i dont suggest galleria because its to far from university. Also I am not sure your wife would be able to commute to Rice University via bus. Check with metro bus website to see METRO - Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County, Houston, Texas . If a bus route is available to university your wife most likely will need to leave at least 1 1/2 hours before she needs to be there,the bus will take a long time too because of famous houston traffic which no one can explain to you , you have to experience it yourself. Another thing about galleria, the areas you mention are not within walking distance of grocery stores, coffee shops etc. Also I agree with some other posts here, when you look at review sites a few bad reviews does not mean the whole complex is bad. Last recommendation , instead of trying to secure housing site unseen, you should come here , stay at a hotel for a few days on your dime if your office wont pay for it, then go out to visit the areas you like to see for yourself if you like it. Best thing

Ok let me explain a bit better. I know Houston's traffic as I have been there multiple times for business meetings. I was there two weeks ago and I stayed at the Derek Hotel just in front of the 610, close to the Gallery. That's the reason why the Uptown/Galleria area seemed to be quite OK. And also seemed to be quite OK for things to do (grocery stores, cofee shops ecc) within walking distance...
However, as I said previously, some people have suggested to look at Midtown too.
My question is: Is it going to be a mess from me to commute from midtown to FM 529 (that's where my office is?)
furthermore, when I mentioned Rice University and St Thomas University, it was because these are the ones I got in contact to. Maybe there are other places where my wife can get language courses. Of course I'd rather have her attend a university class as she most likely going to have more interaction with people ecc..

With regards to the few bad comments, I agree. I should not decided based on those few posting bad reviews..

As far as bus is concerned, I have checked with Google maps, from the Westheimer Road to both Rice and St Thomas and it showed 45 to 50 mins...

have a look here (This is from M5250 building):
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/M525...d29.717394!3e3

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/M525...d29.736469!3e3

For sake of clarity: my wife will attend language courses at whatever University only for 1,5 - 2 months while I will have to drive back and forth fro 6 to 9 months that's why my question. A colleague of mine lives in Midtown and said he's driving counter traffic in the morning and it usually take him not more than 40 mins..

Finally, I am also going to look at the Midtown solutions, but please reassure on the above points.

I appreciate very much you support guys.

Thanks

Last edited by screttiu; 12-15-2014 at 02:48 AM..

Old 12-15-2014, 08:39 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,285,669 times
I would stick with the Galleria area. St Thomas is just down Westheimer and it is much closer for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
View detailed profiles of: