Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 08:35 AM

59 posts, read 66,763 times

Advertisements

So after reviewing this article and visiting Houston in 2012 (1-week training) I am considering a possible relocation to Houston from New York. I have been doing some research on areas like Midtown and West University Place. As I am only in the brainstorming process I hoping you can help point me in the right direction to suitable housing should the relocation occur.
The 15 Hottest American Cities For 2015

Here is a little about me:
-Male
-Single
-No kids but do have a 100+ lbs dog (registered as an Emotional Support Animal)
-Industry: Safety Engineering and EH&S
-Education Level (if it matters): Masters Degree
-Social Life: Like bars, lounges, and nightlife
-Credit: Good to Excellent
-Car: Yes already purchased

Some Likes/Preferrences:
-Fitness, yoga, MMA, staying active
-Music....big into the live music scene and festivals
-Food
-fun free spirited adventure
-art
-movies
-volunteer work
-Parks and dog parks

Relocation wishes:
-Rent: $1600 or less
-Rooms: 1 or 2
-Yard: A small fenced in yard if possible for my dog (I know its wishful thinking and not a deal breaker)
-1+ garage (not a deal breaker)...some sort of secure parking for my car
-Style: I like modern or rustic (exposed brick and beams)
-Townhouse or loft preferred but not a deal breaker

Ideally if I moved I would like to be as close to the city as possible and as close to the the social/nightlife. I am not expecting anything to be quite like NY but a "city feel" if I had my ideal.

Thank you all in advance. Hopefully your information will help me figure out if Houston is for me or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 09:07 AM

672 posts, read 847,445 times
I moved 2 years ago after living in NY my entire life (34 years)...you will love it here! Born and raised in NYC I wanted no part of the city life, so we live out in the 'burbs. Good luck!

Old 12-17-2014, 09:16 AM

2,086 posts, read 4,132,383 times
I didn't see a work location, that's very important wrt the commute times.

But given your list, I'd say the east side of downtown would work best.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:06 AM

60 posts, read 105,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyYot View Post
I didn't see a work location, that's very important wrt the commute times.

But given your list, I'd say the east side of downtown would work best.

I agree with this poster, work location will really determine where you would want to live for a happy life.
Like NYC, Houston has horrible traffic. Unlike NYC, there isn't a reliable and efficient public transit system here. Are you in the oil & gas industry (I am, electrical design engineer)? From what I experience, engineers with your skill sets tend be located more on the outskirt of town (outside the loop) closer to plant/refinery/manufacturing locations.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:49 AM

@Prey....thank you for the response. When I was there in 2012 for training the week was spent splitting time between The Woodlands, Humble (Which I said with an H and everyone knew I was a visitor lol), and Houston proper. I had a great time but its always easier to have a great time when visiting short term vs what the lifestyle is really like for residents.

New York is great but the disconnect between people and the insane cost of living is whats driving me out of state. Everything in NY is increasing cost wise including taxes, tolls, public transportation, red light cameras, speed cameras, car insurance, rent....literally everything is increasing. Some of my friends with good careers joke around that even making $100K+ a year they still need to live at home or split rent with many people to make ends meet. The middle class here is getting a real kick in the teeth but its NY so there are plenty of wealthy and elite to make it seem magical.

Thank you all for a quick response. I am currently speaking to a few head hunters mostly out of the Oil, Petrochemical, and Energy industries. Most of the the job locations available for each have been in the Energy Corridor. I know how bad Houston traffic can be so I will have to inquire once I actually decide on a relocation place and where the job would be should it end up in Houston.

@KJones...I have not worked in the oil & gas industry as of yet as I have split my time between manufacturing, R&D, and now working in healthcare. My actual current job titles can change depending on the position requirements but my current certifications are Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) and Board Certified Safety Professional (BCSP) if any of those ring a bell. I would not mind reverse commuting from within the city to outside the loop for work but again it will all depend on where I decide to end up. Currently contemplating three locations out of NY, Houston being one of them.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:02 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,053,700 times
As a northeasterner myself I can tell you, you will find plenty of transplants here, and will find you fit right in. Houston is a very welcoming city, and especially if you live in the city itself, you will meet as many transplants as locals. It's a great city. You are looking at good locations, you might also look at Heights, Montrose, Washington Ave area. Museum district is nice because it puts you right near 288/45/59 merge, which can get you anywhere quickly (barring traffic of course). Also near the light rail. Check out places near the new light rail line too, on the east side.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:04 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,752 times
Any single person, especially coming from NY, should definitely look to stay inside the loop (inside 610 freeway).

There is a big difference between the way of life inside and outside.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:30 PM

672 posts, read 847,445 times
I live in Humble (Atascocita) and love it up here. A lot less traffic from the Northeast into downtown compared to other parts of Houston. I have a family though, which is why I prefer the 'burbs.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:58 PM

60 posts, read 105,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
I live in Humble (Atascocita) and love it up here. A lot less traffic from the Northeast into downtown compared to other parts of Houston. I have a family though, which is why I prefer the 'burbs.
I couldn't agree more. I live in Atascocita myself.

Old 12-17-2014, 12:59 PM

@Houston...thank you so much for the information. I have also been doing research about Montrose but had not looked into the Museum District. Thank you for the information.

@Ipuck.....Thanks for the gem. Everyone I have spoken to has told me the same thing, to stay inside the loop. If everything works out I will definitely be looking to stay inside the loop since I think it will best suited for my lifestyle and relocation.

@Prey....Humble was a nice place as was The Woodlands but I think for me I would prefer the city aspect at this time. I am sure when I have a family and priorities change I will look to be in the burbs. Currently I am living out in Suffolk Long Island which is suburbs but the place where I live has a "town" area with restaurants, bars, etc all on one strip about 5 miles long. I am also 1hr an 5mins from Penn Station NYC so I can get to the city rather easily and visit NYC and the 5 Boroughs quite often. As far as traffic, it takes me 1-hr 15-mins on average from my house to my main office (one way) which is 31 miles away. With last years terrible winter it took me 2-4hrs each way depending on the snow.

As far as the Light Rail, am I mistaken or does it predominantely run North to South (visa versa) through Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston