U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2014, 11:12 PM

22 posts, read 26,861 times

Advertisements

I moved to the states back in 2008 to study abroad, and along my journey met my husband, so now i permanently reside in the USA southeast of Houston. I have met people in my years being here, but not really anyone i have made strong friendships with like i had in my country of birth.

I was wondering if anyone else has found this while living abroad? I made a facebook group for other British Expats, but a lot of the members although extremely nice are a lot older than me (50's), and i am only 25 and would like to meet some people my own age.

I have also created a meetup group in my area and have lots of member but not many are actually RSVP'ing to the event i have scheduled, although i know these things can take time. I have also just finished university, so i am hoping a search for a career will open me up to meet other people.

I am hoping that some people do end up coming to the meetup event, although i feel it is always pretty hit or miss with meeting complete strangers incase you have nothing in common, but on the flip side you could meet some people and make some great friendships. I guess the whole meeting complete strangers is just very new to me, and i am a little nervous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 02:28 AM

14,215 posts, read 14,100,889 times
I'm a Brit who lived in Houston back in the 2000s.

We had the situation where our daughter attended the British School of Houston. Because of that we sought out a house close to a school bus route, which in turn meant that there were other Brits living in the vicinity.

We didn't actively look to live near to other Brits but it became a self fulfilling prophesy for the reasons mentioned above.

How would we have fared without other Brits around us?

I can't answer that for certain, but Brits have a different perspective on some things and also had experience of hints on how to settle in, so it was a bonus for us.

That said we didn't move so that we were surrounded by folks from back home.

I found that as I moved around Houston, and more especially further afield, the locals were interested in your background and culture. Being a Brit actually seem to make people want to talk to you and made conversation easier.

Best not to bring up the subjects of politics or religion- always a good idea anyway.

This post doesn't really answer your points, it's more musings from our stay there, which by the way, we enjoyed very much once the frustrating settling in period was over.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:39 PM

7 posts, read 11,358 times
Did your meet up already happen? DH is a Brit (from Sheffield) and we're in our late 20s, just moved to Houston.

Old 12-28-2014, 08:38 PM

2,465 posts, read 4,959,777 times
You will never make friends like you had in your own country. Think about it :-) It took over 20 years or even more to cultivate those friendships in your own country. You're in a different place now. Hard to connect.

Try to build new friendships based on your strongest interests, i.e. travel, yoga, religion, swinging, church, pets, terrorist organization, hate group, bad jokes & suggestions, whatever makes you happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzie1007 View Post
but not really anyone i have made strong friendships with like i had in my country of birth.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:02 AM

5,061 posts, read 4,907,359 times
There are several British pubs in the Houston area where you can mingle with Brits and Anglophiles alike. The **** and Bull on NASA Parkway may be the closest to you.

http://www.thecockandbullbritishpub.com/menus/CockNBull_Menu_MAIN.pdf

The Richmond Arms on Richmond in the Galleria area is a great place to play darts and watch Football British style...

The Richmond Arms Pub - Houston, TX

Below is a google search for more British style pubs in the Houston area.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...822265625&fz=8

I hope this helps,,,,

Old 12-29-2014, 12:57 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,814,640 times
Red Lion on Shepherd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston