Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 05:50 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,496,456 times

Advertisements

Yeah, good luck with that venture. I've helped enough people move and I've seen enough bed bugs on used furniture. I've even had to toss stuff I had because of them, though that was thankfully limited to a desk chair with lots of creases to hide in and a mattress and boxspring that was on its way out the door, anyway.

There is no way I'm buying used furniture, especially if redone, without knowing what it has been through...if I trust what you say, that is. Really, I wouldn't at all.

Desperate folks who need what you're selling are...well, desperate and broke(ish).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2014, 07:49 AM

159 posts, read 177,305 times
Donate it..... saves a lot of headache

Old 12-23-2014, 09:21 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,065 times
We bought a new couch recently and tried to sell our old (still very nice) couch. We listed it on Craigslist and several Facebook local sale groups for a steal. We got no bites and ended up donating it for the tax write off. What a waste of time in the end.

Old 12-23-2014, 09:27 AM

232 posts, read 463,063 times
Check to see if there is a local buy/sell group in your neighborhood on Facebook.

Old 12-23-2014, 04:39 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,870,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockermom View Post
Check to see if there is a local buy/sell group in your neighborhood on Facebook.
Might be your best bet, but you won't get what you want for it. We've bought and sold all kinds of furniture on Facebook, but the most we've paid was like $300 for a good used sofa, arm chair and coffee table. SIL tried to sell her 1 yr old ($3K new) king Select Comfort mattress and sleigh bed ($1K new) everywhere. They downsized to a queen bed, but had no takers at their price (under $1K for it all). We ended up with the mattress (free) and she sold the bed for about $300 after several months.

We did sell a 1 yr old $2K dining room set - 8 chairs, table and china cabinet for about $900. But it was practically new and still had the plastic on the chairs. I think we got lucky on that one.

Good luck on it!

Old 12-23-2014, 05:25 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,448 times
Couches have a huge depreciation value. No one cares how much you paid for it. Anyone looking for a cheap couch is going to look at IKEA prices, you'll have to convince them that your's is worth maybe 1/5th of their new couches.

We sold our comfy Bassett leather couch to a new gym business for $150.

Now, how about those TV armoires? I was a sucker for buying a nice one for $2K thinking that I'll keep good quality furniture forever. But nope, our interior decoration changed and TV tubes are out for larger flat screens! Best offer I got was $100. So, we declined and moved it into the garage as a storage cabinet.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:18 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,870,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Life View Post
Now, how about those TV armoires? I was a sucker for buying a nice one for $2K thinking that I'll keep good quality furniture forever. But nope, our interior decoration changed and TV tubes are out for larger flat screens! Best offer I got was $100. So, we declined and moved it into the garage as a storage cabinet.
How about built in TV cabinets? I built a very nice custom corner one about 16 years ago for our projection TV with cabinets and bookshelves. Luckily that thing is still working or I'd be tearing the cabinet out for a new flat screen! Good think I built it in pieces so I can keep the cabinet base part and just remove the top section one day.

Old 12-24-2014, 01:06 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,991 times
CL people want cheap. Why anyone tries to sell something for more than $500 I'll never know.

People want the whole 7 piece bedroom suite for $450. You REALLY think someone wants a used couch for $1750?

Donate it and call it a day or give it to someone you know who needs furniture. You weren't very smart buying a $3500 couch and selling it in 2 years. If you have that kind of money to blow on a couch and have it reupholstered in no time you shouldn't be sweating trying to get half of your money back.

You shouldn't have paid that much for just a couch in the first place. $3500? That's an entire living room...not just a couch. Unless you're furnishing some place in Memorial, RO, the Heights or West U

Old 12-24-2014, 02:52 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,570,916 times
I have tired to sell a few thing on craigslist be before items are worth a decent amount of $$$ and I am selling them for 1/4 to 1/5 what the items are worth, I get a few replies I give will $50 $75 or $100 when I was selling the item for $300 those replies are not worth my time. About 5 yrs ago I was trying to see 3000 to 4000 baseball and football cards when they were still worth decent money all the card at the time were worth $600 to $700 and I selling them for $250. I had a reply guy would give me $20 for them I told him hell no all the binders and plastic card holder sheets were worth $20 alone. Craigslist sucks for smaller items

Old 12-24-2014, 04:36 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,989,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
I have tired to sell a few thing on craigslist be before items are worth a decent amount of $$$ and I am selling them for 1/4 to 1/5 what the items are worth, I get a few replies I give will $50 $75 or $100 when I was selling the item for $300 those replies are not worth my time. About 5 yrs ago I was trying to see 3000 to 4000 baseball and football cards when they were still worth decent money all the card at the time were worth $600 to $700 and I selling them for $250. I had a reply guy would give me $20 for them I told him hell no all the binders and plastic card holder sheets were worth $20 alone. Craigslist sucks for smaller items

You should have went to eBay.

People want secondhand stuff cheap. That's why the Salvation Army best day is Wednesday...half off. I've heard people on regular days go "$10????? This should be $2 tops!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: