Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 07:13 AM

2,165 posts, read 3,773,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Looks like he also puts his trash on the street. Most of my neighborhood puts theirs on the edge of the sidewalk or on one side of the end of their driveway.
Royal disposal likes trash right on the street especially if it's in the tall can since they have trucks with the arm mechanism that will collect the trash and they also use similar trucks to collect the recycle materials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 07:37 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
I'm somewhat stunned at all the negative replies to this issue. The reason it's a law everywhere* in the US is because it's dangerous. All of this "walk around it" and "this is all you have to complain about" is wrong. Walking around it can put kids and strollers and walkers in the street. And THAT'S illegal in most places. And dangerous to both the walker and the driver.

This isn't a zero-sum game. Complaining about this doesn't mean "you must have nothing to do all day". It's simply wrong, it's illegal, and it should be stopped. Happens once, maybe no big deal. Happens with any regularity, either leave the offender a polite note, and if that doesn't work, call the police. They WILL ticket the vehicle.

* If this isn't a law everywhere, then the percent is 99.999.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:52 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I'm somewhat stunned at all the negative replies to this issue. The reason it's a law everywhere* in the US is because it's dangerous. All of this "walk around it" and "this is all you have to complain about" is wrong. Walking around it can put kids and strollers and walkers in the street. And THAT'S illegal in most places. And dangerous to both the walker and the driver.

This isn't a zero-sum game. Complaining about this doesn't mean "you must have nothing to do all day". It's simply wrong, it's illegal, and it should be stopped. Happens once, maybe no big deal. Happens with any regularity, either leave the offender a polite note, and if that doesn't work, call the police. They WILL ticket the vehicle.

Yes, we should just ban all cars now!

Old 12-30-2014, 07:54 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,839 times
Not in unincorporated areas where there is no law or ordinance against this. Your fancy city laws have no power out here in the sticks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Happens with any regularity, either leave the offender a polite note, and if that doesn't work, call the police. They WILL ticket the vehicle.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 AM

118 posts, read 207,403 times
Why does the debate have to be whether to park the truck in the driveway or the street? If any of these vehicles were parked in the garage, there would be no issue. I realize that some people may have other vehicles in the garage or that their F950 can't fit inside one, but when did people start seeing garages as huge crap-closets with oversized doors?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:31 AM

112 posts, read 199,275 times
Default Please don't move to my neighborhood

OMG, really? With 5 vehicles currently at my house, my car almost always blocks part of the sidewalk although there is room to walk around it. If someone wants to complain , I'll happily go park my car in front of their house, or better yet, I'll have my FIL park his there ��
Oh, BTW the thread title mentions parking on the CURB, shouldn't it really say blocking the sidewalk instead?

Last edited by Mamiamjo; 12-30-2014 at 09:27 AM..

Old 12-30-2014, 08:33 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,857,927 times
I got a ticket for this once. It was inside the loop so I guess it made sense. I can't imagine this being enforced in the suburbs.

If it really bothers you just speak with the owner of the truck and politely ask them not to block the sidewalk. If they refuse just walk on the other side of the street. Traffic has to be light in a neighborhood like that so I see no big deal here.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:34 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,839 times
Because strangely enough, most modern houses don't have garages big enough to fit full-sized SUVs or trucks with any walking room to spare. It can be done, but most houses with two car non-tandem garages would require even a Tahoe to pull all the way up to the frontmost wall of the garage almost kissing the drywall for the garage to be able to close. Not saying it can't be done, but it's not as simple as you make it out to be.

That being said, every one of my garage bays has been configured to be able to park vehicles in them. I hate having cars visible in my own driveway. What anyone else does though at their own home is their business, not mine (so long as it isn't an eye sore).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Hawkeye View Post
Why does the debate have to be whether to park the truck in the driveway or the street? If any of these vehicles were parked in the garage, there would be no issue. I realize that some people may have other vehicles in the garage or that their F950 can't fit inside one, but when did people start seeing garages as huge crap-closets with oversized doors?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:34 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
There is absolutely no question that if the vehicle can't fit in the driveway without block the sidewalk, it belongs on the street. Sidewalks are there for safe, unimpeded passage of pedestrians (including children, who in a suburban area I figured would have been treated more importantly). And if a parked vehicle along the curb makes other vehicles slow down and have to manoeuvre around them, GOOD. Why do people think that wide, clear streets make a safe, livable neighborhood? THEY ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO SPEED. And then folks complain about speeding traffic. Narrow streets that require drivers to pay attention should be the norm. This is not arguable.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:40 AM

52 posts, read 65,953 times
Why not call the number on the truck, looks like a business. Maybe ask them if they wouldnt mind parking on the street. I have heard folks also complain about too many cars on the street too, though. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: