Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 08:41 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,902,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
I ve seen this scenario before. It's All OVER Houston!

There are way more important things to be concern about.
.....until it is next door to you, then it is amazing what can become a big deal. A bit of "broken window theory" could apply here as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 09:16 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Why not park behind him and block his driveway? He could simply drive around on the lawn, right?

The truck has a phone number on it. Just call it and ask that he not do it anymore.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:41 PM

189 posts, read 224,460 times
Won't someone please think of the children!

Old 12-31-2014, 07:49 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Like someone said earlier, this is a trivial matter. I've parked over the sidewalk before when washing my truck, and I'm probably going to do it again. I like to walk around the neighborhood, too. If I encountered a vehicle blocking the sidewalk, I think I would just go around without even thinking about it. This is one of those things you just need to overlook because it is so trivial. Unless you are the guy/gal who reported me leaving my trash can in my driveway...
Sure it's trivial. But it's illegal. And for a reason. If you're blocking the sidewalk, but for a limited period for a specific reason (washing car, unloading something), no big deal. If you repeatedly block the sidewalk, you should be ticketed.

I've read comments like "streets aren't busy here" or "everyone does it" or "nowhere else to park" and more. None of this matters. Cities can't pass a law that says "don't do xxx unless it's not busy". There is a reason for such a law, it was passed by your elected officials, so follow it. Or work to change it.

This is similar to the law that says cars must park on the proper side of the street (traffic flow). When someone gets a ticket because their car was parked facing oncoming traffic, they complain about how stupid the law is, it makes no sense, in my neighborhood we all do it, yada yada. People, it's a law for a reason. If you don't like it, work to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
I ve seen this scenario before. It's All OVER Houston!

There are way more important things to be concern about.
There are. Child hunger is a big issue. Ebola is still killing dozens a day in Africa. Civil war in Syria has not gone away. Yet...

we still find time for this. Life isn't zero-sum. We don't put all our effort into solving a single issue, then go on to the next. We, as humans, as a people, tackle a variety of concerns, all at once. And this is an issue, laws were passed, and it will be enforced.

There are far more important things YOU should be doing, yet you're playing on the Internet. Et tu?

Old 12-31-2014, 09:04 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,839 times
Not in the unincorporated parts of the surrounding counties of Houston, which is where OP is. There are no laws or ordinances against it out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Sure it's trivial. But it's illegal.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:30 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Not in the unincorporated parts of the surrounding counties of Houston, which is where OP is. There are no laws or ordinances against it out here.
You are mistaken. The county has jurisdiction on the easement. So, it's a Sherriff's Deputy rather than a police officer who writes the ticket.

Governments build streets and sidewalks, put in water and sewer lines, street lights, etc. They do this with your tax money. That makes it public property. They designate the public right-of-way and are absolutely able to enforce it.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:45 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,020,839 times
Uh, no. Out here in MPC world, the neighborhoods build the sidewalks, not the county. My sidewalk is not considered county ROW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
You are mistaken. The county has jurisdiction on the easement. So, it's a Sherriff's Deputy rather than a police officer who writes the ticket.

Governments build streets and sidewalks, put in water and sewer lines, street lights, etc. They do this with your tax money. That makes it public property. They designate the public right-of-way and are absolutely able to enforce it.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:52 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haudi View Post
Uh, no. Out here in MPC world, the neighborhoods build the sidewalks, not the county. My sidewalk is not considered county ROW.
Unless you're living on a private street, then the right of way easement, which should include the sidewalk, has been dedicated to the county. Just like in the City, where developers have also built most of the roads and sidewalks.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:58 PM

222 posts, read 450,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPATS View Post
Does anyone know who takes care of people parking on the CURBS?

I am not sure whether this gentleman understands that there is a curb for people to walk and not to park his Truck.

Do we need to let HOA know about it .

Dont you have your own family and issues to take care of? leave these people alone and stop whining about others.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:59 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0opstlnksal0t View Post
Dont you have your own family and issues to take care of? leave these people alone and stop whining about others.
And you're back at it again. Sure he has other issues to take care of. He also wants THIS issue taken care of.

Let's say a stranger drives up onto your front yard, and parks right in the middle of your grass. Or someone walking down the street stops and urinates on your house. Or throws a trash bag on your porch. Are you going to WHINE about it? Just let it go?

What if you had a wheelchair bound spouse, and you loved to walk her thru the neighborhood. But when you get to this one house, there's always a car blocking the sidewalk. And it's parked so close to the edge of the driveway that the only way around it is to roll thru the grass where the sidewalk & driveway meet. But it's all muddy there, and you can't push her thru it. Oh well, stop your whining!

Try just for once to put yourself in someone else's position, and see how something might be an issue for them, and what you could do to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: