Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 12:35 PM

50 posts, read 71,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Take a drive down south Braeswood, just outside the loop (SW corner of the loop). Turn off into some of the little neighborhoods around S. Rice and Chimney Rock. To me, this is as close to the town in Connecticut i grew up in as anywhere in Houston. Family friendly, near all the fun stuff in the city, but very small-town-like. Plus, none of the nasty strip malls that are, as you noted, all over the city.

Public schools are good, and there are tons of private options nearby.

And I never hear much about football. This is a soccer-baseball neighborhood.

Yes, this will be Meyerland and Westbury, great neighborhoods within a 20-minute drive to the Medical Center (no freeways).

Old 01-04-2015, 12:37 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,559 times
I recommend Sugar Land too, although you said you already looked at Sugar Land. I am an east coast transplant too, and I really do like Sugar Land. I mean, you aren't going to get the same kind of history you get back east...my husband grew up in a house from the 1700s in Philadelphia, but still. SL is an excellent place to live.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:39 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebonnetnutmeg View Post
I am desperate for help here. Our family moved to Friendswood, TX last year on the advice of my husband's co-worker, and after we searched around in Missouri City/Sugarland area and Spring. Katy and the Woodlands definitely seem too far, and really not much better. Friendswood seemed like a good bet as it had won lots of "awards", seemed like it had the best schools, and most hometown feel. Well, thank goodness that we only rented, but even at that we did not last. In our experience, moving from Connecticut, the schools were very poor and the community soul-less and boring. The schools were too big and were lacking in professional staff and well educated teachers. Is there a better place for us that is not ridiculously expensive like River Oaks? Things we hated about Friendswood: Football culture, subdivisions full of cheap construction, fast food restaurants everywhere, nothing to do. Also, we would like lots of trees and hills, and a sense of history. Clean lakes and fresh air. Does all of the Houston area just suck? There were pawn shops everywhere and adult businesses. YUCK. I could cry. Please no nastiness. I am serious. I think the worst thing about it is that everyone thought this was all great, and no one was working to fix a place that is clearly built like a house of cards.
I think you know the answer to your own question. It is pretty obvious that you are not going to be happy here. You weren't happy from the get go and now it appears your bitterness has been growing since your last post expressing your unhappiness last summer.

I hope you can make a friend or two to somehow mitigate your dis-ease, but when you ask for a New England style sense of community, in a boom-town atmosphere, you are asking the improbable. Maybe you can go further out to Clear Lake, and get you a place on or near the water, and get a boat that will take you out on the lake or Bay, or take a cruise that will perhaps provide you with some kind of escape from your miserable existence here...

Hope your lot improves ! Take care.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 01-04-2015 at 12:48 PM..

Old 01-04-2015, 12:57 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
I am desperate for help here. Our family moved to Friendswood, TX last year on the advice of my husband's co-worker, and after we searched around in Missouri City/Sugarland area and Spring. Katy and the Woodlands definitely seem too far, and really not much better. Friendswood seemed like a good bet as it had won lots of "awards", seemed like it had the best schools, and most hometown feel. Well, thank goodness that we only rented, but even at that we did not last. In our experience, moving from Connecticut, the schools were very poor and the community soul-less and boring. The schools were too big and were lacking in professional staff and well educated teachers. Is there a better place for us that is not ridiculously expensive like River Oaks? Things we hated about Friendswood: Football culture, subdivisions full of cheap construction, fast food restaurants everywhere, nothing to do. Also, we would like lots of trees and hills, and a sense of history. Clean lakes and fresh air. Does all of the Houston area just suck? There were pawn shops everywhere and adult businesses. YUCK. I could cry. Please no nastiness. I am serious. I think the worst thing about it is that everyone thought this was all great, and no one was working to fix a place that is clearly built like a house of cards.
All the schools are too big, imo, no matter which part of town you are in. That doesn't have to mean that they are poor though. What did you think was lacking? What age are the children? Schools are focused on the state testing, but that is true in Connecticut too. I am not sure what education you expect or how it is different here than what you experienced in Connecticut.

The community is not soul-less or boring. You just haven't found the right activities. The Friendswood Library has lots of interesting things to do both for adults and children. What things did you like about where you moved from that were fun and interesting?

There are certainly fast food restaurants, but there are other restaurants as well. Ellie's Kitchen and Catering offers good Greek food. Pho Yen Restaurant offers good Vietnamese and Chinese food at reasonable prices. Hope Village Cafe is a very nice tea room. Habi Asian Chef offers sushi. You can also find Mexican food.

What lakes were in your area in Connecticut?

I don't think there are pawnshops and adult businesses all over in Friendswood. I only see one pawn shop. I haven't seen any adult bookshops or video stores in Friendswood either though they are in Houston for sure.

As for construction, I have to agree with you that many places are not well built. My home in Pearland was very poorly built and I am not used to that having come from Evanston, IL where the homes were much older, but very well built and from Metairie, LA where the homes were constructed to withstand hurricanes and did so.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:02 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,131,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annals View Post
Yes, this will be Meyerland and Westbury, great neighborhoods within a 20-minute drive to the Medical Center (no freeways).
I second (third?) this. It will be the closest you'll get to what you're looking for within a reasonable commute, unless you can afford West U.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:59 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,268,391 times
Default Hmmmm....

Quote:
No nastiness here, no Sir! We love all people who leave Eden for this Hell Hole.

Old 01-04-2015, 02:02 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,239,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
No nastiness here, no Sir! We love all people who leave Eden to this Hell Hole.
Eden's not so much of an Eden anymore when you can barely get by affording a 2 BR condo in 'good schools' and can get a newer 3000 sf 4BR house here. It's what you make of it.

Old 01-04-2015, 03:36 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,765 times
Don't give up. This is a big city and you should be able to find a better neighborhood that fits your taste. The above mentioned Meyerland and Westbury. I would also add Willowbend, Willow Meadows, and keep looking further up north of that area until it's out of your home price range.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:19 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,267,922 times
I still think this is a bogus post. Nobody can be this negative. Not even my ex.

It's like the OP lived near Hobby airport and somehow thought he/she was living in Friendswood. SOME of what he/she said can apply to the ETJ of Friendswood, but a lot of it makes absolutely no sense.

Old 01-04-2015, 04:29 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I still think this is a bogus post. Nobody can be this negative. Not even my ex.

It's like the OP lived near Hobby airport and somehow thought he/she was living in Friendswood. SOME of what he/she said can apply to the ETJ of Friendswood, but a lot of it makes absolutely no sense.
I agree...

Last edited by Jack Lance; 01-04-2015 at 04:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston