Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 05:19 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times

Advertisements

I grew up just across the causeway from Galveston. I hold the city you're coming from in high regard, though. Photogenic place, it is.

Go Pens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 05:23 PM

11 posts, read 15,395 times
Yes ! We do have the best skyline! lol
Just no jobs! haha

Old 01-12-2015, 05:37 PM

I shot the photos in the thread I linked when I was in Pgh last summer. Went to see a friend who had moved from Houston to Pittsburgh. Wound up getting transferred back to Houston, which he wasn't thrilled about, but at least he got a raise. He loved living in the Southside. There is/was a lot of oil and gas work up there, and most anyone with a Texas or Louisiana license plate was more or less assumed to be working in the shale fields. Not sure how it's going now that oil prices have dropped. And definitely no idea what it's like in your line of work.

Planning on heading over that way again in a month or two. I live in Dayton, Ohio now so I'm not far away.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:04 PM

418 posts, read 742,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa2tex View Post
Nope just bringing clothes and other essentials.. I have a friend who lives in Houston and I could stay with her til I find a place. I've looked at some places online... and I don't understand where you got three days prior??

From your first post: "Hello! I'm moving to Texas at the end of this week"

That's great that you have a place to stay.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:15 PM

I took from it that she was doing research prior to posting here. This isn't always where that process begins.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:01 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
If you are the type that loves a buzzing social life, you'll adore Galveston when holidays, Mardi Gras and the Bike Rally come to town. You get to share the joy with tens of thousands of others. A friend of mine lives down on the west end and her WiFi even goes to hell when the island gets packed.

You can check this bulletin below and get an idea of where the losers in Galveston get arrested for the most part.

League City / Webster / Nassau Bay / Friendswood / Alvin / La Porte / Deer Park / Galveston Police Departments P2C - provided by OSSI

Lots of out-of-towners join in that fun. I think most happens along the Seawall and on Ferry Rd on the east end.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:39 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times
Check out Candlewood Suites. You can get a one bedroom with a full kitchen within your budget (also free laundry). My husband stayed in one for several months while he was working here prior to our move here.

I know there's one right here on 45 & it's either League City or Dickinson. I work on the island sometimes & it's only a quick 20 minute drive, depending on what time of day. I think it would be less expensive to live there as opposed to a place in Galveston.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:07 PM

30 posts, read 48,422 times
Welcome to Houston! I am also a Pittsburgh transplant. I was born and raised in the North Hills, but left for college and never returned. My parents also moved away but moved back 3 years ago and live in Sewickley, sort of near Wexford right off 79.

I don't know how much I can offer as far as advice on living location. if you are looking for a 'city' feel, i might suggest to stay in Galveston near the strand. Houston will not be an option for you so if you venture out of Galveston, you will end up in the south suburbs. I have lived in the south suburbs for years, but I"m married with 1 child and 1 on the way, so I"m in a bit of a different position than you.

What part of Pittsburgh do you live in now? 'burbs? Southside?

Good luck on the move! My advice is to move to Houston with the attitude, 'this is going to be the best thing I've ever done', and embrace it. There are MANY things that are different here, and if you focus on those, it will be hard to enjoy life here. Focus on the positives and you'll do fine.

Oh, and go pens!

Old 01-15-2015, 06:35 PM

Do not ever move somewhere expecting it to be like where you came from. It's a guarantee you will be miserable.

I've been in an extended-stay type place similar to Candlewood Suites in Dayton since October. I'm getting a little bored of it now, but it's not a bad option while you're getting your bearings about a new place, scouting it out, figuring out where you want to be, and getting stable in your work and income. No lease, no BS. In my case, I may or may not even be in Ohio for that long, so I'm definitely not about to go look for a house to buy. Not yet, anyway. It's a lot easier to get an idea of a new place when you're there. Google only gets you so far.

You might get to Galveston and find it's not your scene. You wouldn't be the first. I used to have a rather dim view of the place myself, but it's not a bad place nowadays, aside from the prospect of being the first mandatory evacuation that goes down anytime a big enough storm enters the Gulf.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:58 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,995,992 times
There's something about Galveston I like. Can explain what it is though. Have a friend - RN in league city and she chooses to live in Galveston and loves it. Not sure what apt complex she is in though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston