Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2015, 01:51 PM

31 posts, read 42,985 times

Advertisements

This is the layoff data I've gathered from various articles. For global layoffs I've assumed 50% of the cuts to happen here in Houston, for others I assume ~10% attached to Houston jobs still. Might be waay off on Pemex though, but I don't know.

So what do you think, too high/too low? How high will Houston go?

Old 01-20-2015, 01:58 PM

31 posts, read 42,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
I heard around 2% oversupply currently. I agree it doesn't seem like much to me. But getting all the oil that the US used to buy before the shale boom to new markets is apparently a big deal that will take some time, especially with lower demand. Additionally since Opec is not interested in reducing their market share any further, oversupply will be an issue until production slows. This will happen by cutbacks that we are already seeing, and what will likely be the closure of companies that cannot profit at current prices.

This is the way I see it anyway.
The former President of Shell Oil, John Hofmeister, says supply is outpacing demand by only 1 million barrels a day or so, and that he sees $5 /gallon gas prices on the horizon.

Former oil exec: $5-a-gallon gas on the way

Old 01-20-2015, 01:59 PM

552 posts, read 1,056,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefPropOwner View Post
Copper is a recession indicator for entire global economy. Right now copper is flashing a bright and shinny red sign. So if anyone really believes the "downstream/east side Houston activity pickup" meme because of low crude price forget it.

Yep, "Dr. Copper"

Old 01-20-2015, 02:07 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You have to take into effect the production curve of all the tight oil right now. It's not a bell curve for production, more like a ramp with a cliff at the end. Unless you're continually re-investing with new drilling, that production is not long-lived. Usually under a year per well.
For all the supply increase the last 5-6 years, price has still been in triple digits thanks to China. They are now slowing down along with the almost recession like economy in Europe.

All the slowdown in supply won't have as much effect as the slowdown in usage from China.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:10 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomStorm View Post
Uhhhm, you're disregarding the effect City policies have on companies. The Woodlands are give ExxonMobil a 10-year tax-free break, so 10 years without city taxes = ExxonMobil moves to the Woodlands.

Cities use tax incentives to create industry clusters all the time. Common practice.

Ref, "Montgomery County commissioners decided to give the company 10 property-tax-free years in its new Woodlands space."
ExxonMobil Setting Up a Separate Second New Campus for Itself — in The Woodlands | Swamplot
The Exxon Mobil campus is not in The Woodlands. This is a common misconception people make about the campus. It is in Houston ETJ and will be annexed by the city at a later date..

Old 01-20-2015, 02:42 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
For all the supply increase the last 5-6 years, price has still been in triple digits thanks to China. They are now slowing down along with the almost recession like economy in Europe.

All the slowdown in supply won't have as much effect as the slowdown in usage from China.
agreed

Old 01-20-2015, 02:44 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
The Exxon Mobil campus is not in The Woodlands. This is a common misconception people make about the campus. It is in Houston ETJ and will be annexed by the city at a later date..
True, but it's still Montgomery County.

Old 01-20-2015, 02:53 PM

61,701 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Another day, another unambiguously bad announcement from America's bettered energy sector which are bolting down ahead of the crude storm, and firing thousands.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-0...0-more-layoffs

Old 01-20-2015, 02:57 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
True, but it's still Montgomery County.
No it is not in Montgomery County. It is in Harris County !

Old 01-20-2015, 07:35 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,310 times
I think people should try to be a bit more rational about this before jumping to conclusions that they are emotionally drawn to.

On side of "the sky is falling" folks: I don't think its reasonable to make assumptions like "half of Schlumberger's 9000 layoffs" will be in Houston, when the announcement of that was that it affected employees located in the eastern hemisphere.

On the side of "Houston is so diverse now, this cannot hurt us", I agree that a huge percentage (likely more than half) of the ports business is directly dependent on the O&G industry. The base of our economy that draws money here is largely O&G, and that funds a lot of the other economy in retail sales, home sales, etc. The TMC is a wonderful asset, but the amount of money it draws into our local economy from outside pales in comparison to what O&G draws.

In the 80s, we had similar discussions to this. But then, a funny thing happened. Oil prices recovered and we kinda forgot about the importance of diversification. Along the way, some of the big non-O&G companies based here disappeared (like Compaq, American General, Continental Airlines and ... well, even Enron, though I hate to bring that up. And yes, I know Enron started out as a gas pipeline company.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston