Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 04:39 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,991,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
I went the other night to the same theater and saw Selma which is one to stir emotions....no problem....yall live in a bubble or just scared of dark people in large groups
That's like whoever said their wife was scared to go to Willowbrook Mall when it gets dark

Most movie theaters have been taken over by PA teenagers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 07:03 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swack View Post
We stopped going to AMC First Colony about 10 years ago for the same reason. Lots of young rowdy teenagers who would shout throughout a movie and be generally disruptive. It got really old and annoying after a while. Never attributed it to race but more so to youth. After that we switched over to AMC Dunvale and things were much better..
AMC Dunvale, less 'ghetto' than AMC FC Sugar Land???

Old 01-22-2015, 07:04 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Right, lmao.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:04 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coog05 View Post
^ Well it got so bad that they started putting more cops out there and enforcing the 10pm curfew. Dont know if that is still the case.
Sugar Land police are top notch. I've seen them sit at gas stations and various parking lots at night - maybe to deter real thugs from outside and not the people attending movies.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:35 PM

129 posts, read 170,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenshire View Post
As far as location, in my mind in Houston, within the next 20 years everything in the outer loop near 59 and I10 and 290 and 45N will experience a renewal because eventually people won't want to move so so far from jobs.
I used to wonder about this, I researched some bigger cities like Chicago and LA in order to help me predict real estate trends in Houston. I figured since they are bigger than Houston, Houston will probably walk in their footsteps as it grows. What I found is both cities have at least one really large, low income area wedging really close to city center. I looked at all the big cities in the county and found the same pattern. This is interesting because you would think that as cities grow, upper income people would try to get close to city center at all cost even if it meant having to move into a low income area, which does happen, but its not usually the case. What seems to happen is cities become denser. We also see the same patter in Chicago as Houston with people willing to move far outside of city limits into the burbs. These people would rather train in to work 50 minutes every day.
Then there's the phenomena of young big spenders that would rather live in smaller and smaller spaces to be in the right area. In NYC people living in apartments the size of a TX walk-in-closet.

I took NYC with a grain of salt because I figured it was in a league of its own, however it too follows the same patter. If you consider low income New Jersey areas, they are only a matter of minutes from high priced Manhattan by train.

It's also worthy to note that NYC and all of its boroughs... and even parts of NJ... can fit into an area the size of Houston. Same goes for Chicago. Point is I think Houston has a reeeeaaallly long time before we see that kind of renewal. They're still struggling with trying to push into that area east of 59 by the soccer stadium. I remember checking a lot that was for sale for $15k in 3rd ward, I was surprised because I could have shot an arrow into downtown from that lot.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:39 PM

219 posts, read 331,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
Never said anything about ghetto..

We once sat through a movie where some guy shouted, "THATS WHAT SHE SAID!" throughtout the movie. It was kinda funny at first and people laughed but it got real annoying after 3-4 times. The last few movies I watched there, there were always hecklers. I'm not talking about comedies either, there was heckling even during quiet scenes.

Honestly, AMC FC is probably nicer than Dunvale. The walmart next door is a little rundown, however I have never heard any heckling at Dunvale. It's been a while though. We mostly go to Santikos now.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:48 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DejaBlue View Post
That's like whoever said their wife was scared to go to Willowbrook Mall when it gets dark
You remember that.

Well my wife's friend got her car broke into during Christmas shopping in Willowbrook so you can roll your eyes again.

Regarding the movie theater, most theaters on weekends and especially at nights are packed with teenagers acting silly. If you really want to watch a movie, friday/saturday night is probably not a good time to go.

I am shocked some of you are surprised as this has been going on for a long long time.

Old 01-23-2015, 10:51 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,760,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koinewbie1 View Post
Not trying to sound like a Dbag but personally I find places where whites and Asians are "GENERALLY "the safest across the board. Just my own experience.
You created another name just to get this off your chest? lol classic

Old 01-24-2015, 04:39 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
You remember that.

Well my wife's friend got her car broke into during Christmas shopping in Willowbrook so you can roll your eyes again.

Regarding the movie theater, most theaters on weekends and especially at nights are packed with teenagers acting silly. If you really want to watch a movie, friday/saturday night is probably not a good time to go.

I am shocked some of you are surprised as this has been going on for a long long time.
This happened at every mall around Houston during the HOLIDAY SEASON. Probably the top time for car break ins.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
No.

A few rules though:
- Try and stay south of West Airport Blvd; north of it is outside of city limits and too close to Alief (this pertains to Sugar Land only; not Richmond / out by the Grand Pkwy)
- The neighborhoods of Tara and Riverpark aren't as good investments as others

Glen laurel is in Sugar Land limits, North of W. Airport and is a great value on homes near the ballpark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston