U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-08-2008, 01:02 AM

8 posts, read 36,232 times
Default Is Houston Heights safe

I will be moving my family to Houston in a few months. I have been looking at places to live and Houston Heights looks like a good area. I will be working downtown and I do not want to have a long commute. My question is, how safe is the Heights. I know there is not a lot of violent crime in the area but it looks like there is a lot of petty crime. My wife will be staying home with our new baby and I want her to feel safe while she is home and to be able to go for a walk if she wants, and I want to feel safe if I go running at night. I might be a little paranoid, can anyone tell me if the Heights is a good place to raise a family? Thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 02:08 PM

2,577 posts, read 5,417,453 times
The Heights is a great area. It is in the city, so you have to take common-sense precautions, but if you are living in fear living there, then you are paranoid.

Old 01-08-2008, 02:13 PM

3,700 posts, read 10,961,223 times
About as safe as any other nice area in town, some parts of the Heights are still adjacent to transitional-type areas that might be iffy (see above advise). Best places to run in that area are the paths along White Oak Bayou in the Timber Grove Manor area or over along Sawyer and White Oak.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:11 PM

50 posts, read 3,155 times
The good thing about the Height's is that they are very civic oriented. Meet your neighbor's, be aware of your surrounidngs, and enjoy the good life there!

The Height's mom's group is very active - your wife will enjoy that.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:03 PM

8 posts, read 36,232 times
Default Follow Up

Thanks for the information. Does anyone know of good private schools in the Houston Heights area for K - 3rd grade?

Old 01-09-2008, 08:39 AM

268 posts, read 1,089,073 times
When we lived in Houston, I frequently brought our young son to the park at 7th st. and we loved it. We felt safe there and never had any problems. Regarding private schools, there is a web site that lists many Houston private schools. Just google Houston private schools and it will come up. There's also an annual Houston private school fair in Sept.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:20 AM

564 posts, read 1,294,128 times
FYI -

The esplanade along Heights Blvd. (from about 19th to 4th) has become a popular place to run over the past 5-7 years.

The two things that stand out about the Heights, IMO, are the architecture and the greenery.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 17,359 times
My experience is never to move into a place with the word "Heights" in it but that is coming from an east coast girl. Anyone know what i am talking about? LOL

Old 02-18-2008, 03:54 PM

197 posts, read 12,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybeebug81 View Post
My experience is never to move into a place with the word "Heights" in it but that is coming from an east coast girl. Anyone know what i am talking about? LOL
Well in speaking of two places that I know of: Washington Heights (Manhattan, NY) and Orient Heights (Boston)...not very nice places.

In any case, Houston Heights is quite nice. Houston is especially infamous for auto crime (just about everyone drives...) and petty crime. I think Houston Heights is a very nice, safe neighborhood even when it stands alone, but especially when compared with other Houston neighborhoods, it would most definitely be top tier.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:23 PM

18 posts, read 73,923 times
Have lived here for over 12 years...run at night frequently but like everyone else says, use your common sense. There is some crime but no different than any other neighborhood and neighbors are usually looking out for each other. Best advice is to make friends and be pro-active as far as safety. Other than that, the community is very civic-minded and they are so many people in this neighborhood looking out for the good of the whole that I always feel good about living here. Oh...I also work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: