Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:58 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times

Advertisements

We have friends -- girl who went to school w/our daughter--who lives inside the Loop in SW part of town I think (haven't been there in few years and don't know Houston that well)...

she teaches, has two young kids, and a husband who has to travel for work at times
She came home from school today and found their house was broken into and robbed--
stole pretty much anything of value, including her Aggie ring, a keepsake ring from her grandmother, her camera and other electronics including her son's Ipad, and casual stuff like their liquor...

I know there is nothing really to be done when something like this happens--burglaries happen too often and the goods are gone too quickly for police to really make any attempt to recover what was stolen or likely catch the thieves...

Just really feel so sorry for them...I know she probably felt sick when she saw what happened...and it likely scared her kids as well...

Anyone else had someone in similar straits recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 09:21 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Sorry...

'Sorry to hear about that. It is odd... whenever someone I know gets robbed, I take it personally. Odd, isn't it? I mean I get pissed, even though it was not me. Of course, it is always good no one gets hurt, but it pisses me off when these low-lives revert to robbing people for things they worked and paid for. This is the mentality of too many theives, they have been "helped" by all sorts of programs that won't make them work, and treated to entitlements all their lives that they feel entitled to take your things if they can't afford them.

I hope she saw all these things before her kids did, I know I'd like to see the damage first. Do you know if she had her IPAD password protected (PIN)? If so, and if she registered it, she can track it, not only finding the IPAD, but also the culprit(s). Let us know what happens.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201472

Old 01-20-2015, 09:36 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,696 times
So sorry! I can't even imagine how they must feel! So violated! The one place you should feel safe is in your own home.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:26 PM

270 posts, read 405,688 times
Had the same thing happen to me years ago. It was a run of the mill burglary - and the police really don't do anything but give you a slip for your insurance. Even with an alarm they know how to get in and out of the house quickly, and more likely than not the police won't show up for the alarm call for many minutes if it's HPD (neighborhood patrols are faster).

I did improve my security by adding cameras (if the alarm goes off and I see people in my house I call 911 myself - the cops respond much faster to a confirmed burglary in progress than an ADT alarm call that more often than not is Fido or kitty getting caught by a motion sensor).

I have also noticed a smile on my face every time an intruder who is counting on a lackluster police response or overstressed legal system is instead shot and killed by a homeowner.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:03 AM

676 posts, read 930,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero100 View Post
I did improve my security by adding cameras (if the alarm goes off and I see people in my house I call 911 myself - the cops respond much faster to a confirmed burglary in progress than an ADT alarm call that more often than not is Fido or kitty getting caught by a motion sensor).
I have a similar set-up. My alarm company does call both HPD and our private neighborhood security patrol, but I also have cameras set up. If I get a push notification on my iPhone from the alarm company or they call me, I can pull up the cameras and see what is going on all around the outside of my house. I can then confirm with alarm dispatch that there are intruders there or call HPD and security myself to confirm what alarm dispatch has told them. All parts of the house have 3 layers of sensors (window/door contacts, glassbreak detectors, and motion detectors) so if it is an intruder they should at least trip 2 of them, which the alarm company will see. The motions are pet friendly and my cat has never set them off.

There are also smoke detectors throughout the house that are tied to the alarm, if one of those gets tripped they immediately dispatch the fire department without verification first.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:29 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
'Sorry to hear about that. It is odd... whenever someone I know gets robbed, I take it personally. Odd, isn't it? I mean I get pissed, even though it was not me. Of course, it is always good no one gets hurt, but it pisses me off when these low-lives revert to robbing people for things they worked and paid for. This is the mentality of too many theives, they have been "helped" by all sorts of programs that won't make them work, and treated to entitlements all their lives that they feel entitled to take your things if they can't afford them.
People have been robbing and stealing from each other since the beginning of history, way before any of these entitlement programs were even a glimmer in a politician's eye. I would just chalk it up to basic human nature, that bad people will always do bad things.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:32 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Any security footage?

I had some buns and ground beef stolen a week ago, and here is what my camera caught?

I'm wondering if it may have been the same guy.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:18 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,900,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Any security footage?

I had some buns and ground beef stolen a week ago, and here is what my camera caught?

I'm wondering if it may have been the same guy.

I think you held the rewind too long on that tape...

Old 01-21-2015, 02:43 PM

97 posts, read 162,466 times
Sorry that happened. I had my purse stolen when I was in high school. I was lucky enough to get it back. The only thing that was missing was a few dollars.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,518 times
I think it would be best to have a big dog in the house...my sister-in-laws house was broken in. They went to the mall that time and leave the other dog chain up outside. When the thief came in he didn't realize there was another dog in the house. This lab-German shepherd mixed dog got hold of this robber. The neighbors saw him running out from the house and called police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: